Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 19:25   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
I must have a sign paseted somewhere saying go ahead abuse me. WTF is it with these guy's . Thank God for 400 Gallons of diesel and a 135 Hp John Deere turbo. As for the Peterson 44 just try and get comfy in one. I can put 15 people in my salon an still have room. Nothing like a Formosa for living aboard or cruising. I have to go now my guests want to use the Jacuzzi.

Jack. Don't take it personal. No one is talking about you. They are talking about a boat. They mention that it's not the speediest boat into the wind and you counter with "thank god for 133 horses under the hood."

Real gentlemen never sail to weather anyway...

What's bad is advising a guy who wants to average 150 miles a day to buy a boat that doesn't make 150 miles a day. Every boat is a compromise.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:30   #32

Kind of like Captain Ron. Ifs ya want ta get there fast yas just hasta fire up da Iron Spinaker. LOL . But I have sailed her at eight knots here in the sound and thats darn close to 150 miles a day. At least she holds up to and sails in a good wind.

besides if you want to get there fast why are you sailing ?
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35   #33

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Tap the cabinside below the portlights to check for dryrot that may have been caused by freshwater seeping into it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 15:59   #34

Although the hull looks like a wooden boat Formosa's were built of Fiberglass. A LOT of fiberglass. Pound for pound probably one of the thickest hulls built. No rot there. Cabin top is all new and the old windows are gone. Replaced with sea worthy cat eye ports.

NEXT
Old 03-09-2009, 17:37   #35

Boat: CSY-44, Waikikamukau
If you wanna get somewhere fast, jump on a plane
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 16:27   #36

Re: '79 Formosa Ketch: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

It's been a long time since those first few years. I have learned a lot over that time about handling my boat. I don't have trouble sailing her at all anymore. I have learned how to steer with the mizzen, do a full turn to port in almost her own length and even how to back her into a slip or sling. Patience and knowing the handling character of the boat are paramount. I hope these pictures carry the point. We raced Angelique and it was more than exciting. Funny part was my wife Ruth was at the helm almost the whole time. BTW Full batten main and all new sails make a big differance. BTW we were doing 7.5 to 8KTS in 17 to 18 KTS of wind. The other vessel is a Hudson Force 50 the Force 50 did have one apparent flaw. With the original head sail combination the had to tac way past the piont that we did. There realy is something in using a big head sail and no staysail or yankee.

Old 18-05-2012, 20:29   #37

Boat: YS 35'

Hi this is my first post to the forum- I read with interest the thread on the Formosa -Good/Bad/Ugly. I have begun looking around for a live-aboard/cruiser for my future retirement and had considered the Formosa pilot house- maybe be re-considering and at a minimum doing lots more homework. Are there any opinions out there on the Islander Freeport as a consideration? I would really be interest in hearing from Jack Tar- you seem to know your stuff. Thanks to all for any imput Randy
RLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:41   #38

Boat: steel ketch Futuro

Hallo all Formoza 51 owners.
I have one silly question. There is one Formoza to sell very cheep, but... At the moment,there is only mast to see from the boat... The rest is under water. Original interior looks like solid mahagony, that means it can survive some time under the water, not?
Of course all the rest is going to be to changed, but at the moment I want to swap to bigger boat to live on with my wife and little baby.
If there is possibility, that interior should survive it is O.K. otherwise the hull even for free is expensive.
Thank you for comments.
mysacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 17:22   #39

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

If the boat is under water, I'd pass unless you;

Want THIS boat and have a ton of time, skills and money. I looked at a Hunter a few months back that "sunk on the hard" and the black mold would have required a gut of the cabin. An Morgan that had sunk at the dock for a day (found out after driving four hours to look at it!) and the interior woodwork was swollen beyond repair, de-laminated panels throughout.

Others may have more experience in boats that have sunk. I have restored 4 boats in my life, loved it each time and each was a boat I loved.

It's a lot of project and not one for checkbook sailors and those that love plastic decks and cabins. Even a Formosa in okay shape requires proper care and feeding. I can't wait to work on mine next week.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:09   #40

Boat: steel ketch Futuro

Well this is very specific... I am working as the technician on the charter boats, out of the season I should work five months seven days in week on a boat. The only limits are money.... Formosa is very nice boat, but if I have to change interior, it not going to be the same. Sailing performance is not why somebody want this boat. It is classic style, space and interior that makes this boat still attractive. As far as I thing interior is made from solid mahagony it can withstand submersion in salt water.... All the rest of the boat is of course unhappy
Pavel
mysacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25   #41

Sold the Formosa 51 last year. As for interior construction. Most of the structure is Teak however the bulkheads are plywood. Heavy laminated Teak plywood.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i own a formosa 41 built in 1976 in the formosa boat builders yard, where ct 41s originated. this yard also built 51s..
i found these boats to be great heavy displacement cruisers, doing exactly what they were designed to do --cruise you in comfort yet also be able to sail in heavy winds. awesome performance in 60 kts chubasco got me 8.4 kts per hour boat speed in darkness and a surprise chubasco off cabo san lucas under onlyreefed mizzen and reefed jib. they suck in winds under 10 kts, but they are supposed to so do.
as each and every formosa built is different, there are no 2 alike exactly. one cannot base all on the seeing or sailing of only one. i have seen formosas sailing well to weather in sd bay when i was readying this one for travel. (he had racing sails and a shiney blue hull)
i sailed gulf of mexico in a seidelmann sloop---i wished the time i was there that i had my ketch under my butt--especially much so when i watched a formosa 51 or force 50, a boat that is spozedly unable to point or sail efficiently, under jib n mizzen only, pulling away and running....LOL..
yes they are bricks.
yes they had problems with deck leaks. we named our group in yahoo the leaky teaky yacht club...LOL we can take it...
good boats and when you need to repair engine, isnot a upside down mess--is easily accessed and open from belts to shaft.
the packing gland is not hidden in some unknown and unreachable location only available to rhesus monkeys on a severe diet..is right there.
as cruising is the art of repairing while underway and in exotic locales, these boats were designed perfectly. yes i said PERFECTly.

yes i have owned many boats and sailed many boats since age 7--this is my first owned by me ketch, and i have sailed cutters, sloops, dinghies and antiques. i appreciate that which my cruising boat can do, and i love her--is my last ever boat --after this i use wings or a devil suit, whichever.....
the only mahogany in my boat was the philipine mahogany used for filler...the interior is teak...awesome comfort and no gawdawful vee berth--is pullman, and comfy in nasty seas.
anyone who has not sailed one of these on a long passage or has only sailed these one time, has no knowledge of their abilities...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 19:37   #43

Boat: Looking...

Speaking about Taiwan built boats and quality generally, Passports were built there, and their quality is well respected.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:10   #44

Has anyone here on this form seen the Formosa for sale in Marina Del Ray ? Music is her name ,, opinions , things to look for , thanks for input

Henry
Henry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:37   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bring someone with you when you look at th eboat..... be sure the someone you bring is smart with these formosas. there are no deal breakers, if you truly love these boats, as everything is readily accessible and repairable.
look at the overhead beam sin forepeak anda anchor locker. look into bilge under engine. go into the cbinet under the companionway steps and look at the mizzen mast step==how is that beam doing..beam holds up a lot of stuff.....make sure it is good....look under the dinette aftermost seat to find the packing gland and see how much leaky it is or if it is pss.....look into all cabinetry to see the condition of the hull interior--are there leaks....check caprail for thickness, a smany souos love to sand aay the teak wood. look at asll the teak wood to make sure itis consistent in color and no dark spots....there i sa lot to look into but if you enjpy these boats, there are no deal breakers... if you woul dlike me to answer any mor equestions, please ask. i kinda know mine thoroughly now--i have owned mine for only 4-5 yrs, so far, and repaired a lot...good boats. they do exactly as designed--they are boats built to sail trade winds....and they DO sail well.

i have yet tto meet music, but these are prety much sister ships. my formosa 41 was built in 1976 at formosa boat builders in taipei
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa