Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 18:56   #61

Boat: 1978 Fuji 40 its an S&S boat named Spindrift shes my pride and joy
FUJI 40 end of story.
fuji40owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 21:31   #62

Boat: Pearson 281
Cutter...

Dockhead...
My Dreadnought 32 was designed/rigged as an actual cutter in 1976 (thank you "Gentleman" Bill Crealock). While I agree that cutters have undergone some changes over time a(losing the gaff and the extreme sprit lengths) and that they are not as commonly found nowdays (now we have "slutters" as you suggest) boats were still being rigged specifically as bermudian cutters through the 70's. They are discussed in most cruising books from the Hiscocks to Donald Street to Royce's Sailing illustrated. Royce preferred the cutter for it's simplicity yet improved flexibility over the sloop. I believe that both of the Pardey's boats were rigged as actual cutters as well... could be wrong about that. It's a very handy rig. Molly B is low aspect w a 16 ft boom, mast set well back and plenty of foredeck room for headsails.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:38   #63

Boat: Tartan 40
hey speedo - i read on another thread that you own an Allyle - what are your thoughts on the allyle 13.5?
Likato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:43   #64

Boat: Tartan 40
Speedo- sorry....imeant to write Idylle...I understand you own an Idylle 11.5...any thoughts on the Idylle 13.5?
Likato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:01   #65

Hi Likato, yes I do own an Idylle 11.5 and I think it's a great boat that can certainly go offshore. While the 13.5 has a different designer, it looks like many of the same design principles were used in both boats: similar underbodies with a shoal draft keel, very nice, comfortable interior, simple sailplan, and relatively light displacement. So I am sure that all of the Idylle series were designed as cruisers, and I think they are the best cruisers Beneteau ever built. Very high quality, excellent design and engineering, excellent hardware, etc.

And the prices that I see now, for a high quality 44 footer, are very attractive.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 17:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In that price range, the first two boats on my list would be the Wauquiez Hood 38.8 and the Valiant 40 (notwithstanding the canoe stern). The Kadey Krogen 38 and Cape Dory Intrepid would also be on my radar.

The Wauquiez Hood is not a cutter, but it is certainly a blue water boat.
What is a valiant. I can not find one for sale. Does it have another name?
jets4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:09   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
The Valiant is (I will try and say this as calmly as possible) a WONDERFUL boat. It was first manufactured in Bellingham, Washinton in 1975. Still being made, although very expensive due to the hand made manufacture and bullitproof architecture. If you want to see what one looks like search "Valiant 40 in the archives- mine just got a new paint job by Charile Cobra.
To look for one for sale- try Yachtworld.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08   #68

Boat: Island Packet IP38
We live aboard and frequent open ocean. The list of good bluewater boats is extensive. Everyone has prefrences and every boat is a give and take. If I was going to cruise the boat. I would look for a vessel with a full keel, 5' draft or less, all running rigging and sail control to cockpit, good tankage, fridge and freezer, cockpit capable of being closed up, most of the electronics end up getting replaced anyway so ignore them unless they happen to be there, electrical system that is not a tangled mess, low engine hours.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:18   #69

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: 40' Bluewater Cruiser Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, I see that there is an Avance 40 for sale in Seattle for 119K. The broker calls it a poor man's Swan-- S&S design, Scandinavian built, draft under 5' with the board up--so how bad can it be? It's certainly worth a look if you are in the area.
We looked at this one last year. My mate was so put off by the boat she wouldn't even go down below, and she loves a Swan.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 23:34   #70

Boat: Able 50

Have you looked at an old Hallberg Rassy ?

To fit within your budget it would have to be pre 1985. Here's one that might suit. It looks OK in the pics.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=68591&url=

The cheapest place in the world to buy any boat is in one of the faraway cruising crossroads. You might get this one for as little as 100. 90% of prospective buyers will not be prepared to travel that far to pick it up but someone prepared to go the extra mile can snap up an incredible deal.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:30   #71

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

I don't think its snobbery, I think its because the later Jen's, Bav's, and Ben's etc. are reputed to be not as well built as the earlier ones and that has tended to give the wrong impression of the earlier, more robust builds. I have been thru the worst of the worst in my 2001 Jenneau 40 and she's as tough as old boots. I have no hesitation in taking her anywhere.

That said, another boat to consider is the Amazon 45 steel cutter, there is one for sale in Portsmouth, England for £95,000, she is Canadian built, has been around the world twice, extremely well maintained and she's a beauty.

Safe sailing to you all...
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 10:48   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likato
There's a nice Cal 40 in CT but rigged for racing - road trips are for later - right now I'm looking at a "variety" of local boats including Tartan 40SD, Morgan 43, Jeanneau 42, Wauquiez Amphitrite 43....
I went to look at this cal 40 back in january, it is in rough shape. All bulkheads rotten, 100% crazing on deck, paint peeling of ceiling below. I have a copy of the last survey and spoke with the surveyor after I looked at the boat. He felt it was overpriced. It has a good engine, rig and sails. No electronics, no anchor windlass or ground tackle, batteries, dodger, cushions, steel beam needs to be replaced. Ect. So it is project boat. There is more but not looking at survey right now.
jcluddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 19:11   #73

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Did Likato decide to go RVing instead? Been 6 months and no comments.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 19:28   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 40' Bluewater Cruiser Choice

Go up a coupla 3 feet and buy a Beautiful Boat.....
1976 Cheoy Lee Clipper Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Hallberg Rassey.... two fingers down my throat and.......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 20:15   #75

Boat: Able 50

Gollygosh boatman !

Maybe you had better stay clear of the Baltic for a while. Those Swedes are proud people.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote