Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 13:40   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33T I hope and pray someday, currently have a Four Winns 22.5 cuddycab
39' Souther Cross Ketch Info

Looking at a 1982 Southern Cross Ketch 1982 Southern Cross 39' Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com but cant find much info on these boats. Would be grateful for any info from anyone who has had one or known someone who has. The boat if very sharp looking and has a pullman berth up front something both the wife and I want in our next boat. We would be using the boat for coastal cruising for the most part, no big open water crossing's planned. Thanks in advance for any help.
Roland H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:00   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: 39' Souther Cross Ketch Info

This is all just internet research. I've never sailed one. The 31 and 35 have a good reputation as offshore boats. The 35 is at the top of my list. Looks like half the 39's were sold as kits. This would explain the lower price of $40k vs $60k for a factory 35 of the same year. You can get a 31 for $15k. From the pics it is a little weird to see carpet on a sailboat. Get a survey and I'm sure she will be a great coastal cruiser. There is an SC owners group on the web if you google it. I'm not sure how active they are.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 17:30   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: 39' Souther Cross Ketch Info

We have met a 35 while cruising in the Indies. She looked good and the owner was very happy with the boat. The best part came when we sailed on to another island at about the same time. She took off, accelerated and disappeared behind the horizon. Her owner confirmed later this boat easily approches her hull speed in typical Windwards Leewards sailing. Ehhh....

Do have a look at the 39 you are after. Let us know what you found. Lucky ducky! ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch