Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2009, 12:18   #16

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
I decided on a steel/alumnium hull on account of my lack of sailing skills and that i'd be living and working aboard while singlehanded. Figured that my chances of collision would be a bit higher then most boats (due to singlehanding and learning to sail accidents) and i could afford to put a hole in the hull less then most because of work and having everything aboard; including the ships cats who probably won't take to manning the liferafts too kindly.

Not really sure this is a very valid point. Depending on where you are located and plan on sailing, a metal boat may be more of a hazard in a collision and definitely more difficult to do emergency repairs to in the case of a collision. If this is the ONLY reason your considering this type boat... you may want to take a step back and reconsider your options.
Old 15-07-2009, 14:12   #17

Boat: Catalina 27 - Happy Sue
I can't speak for your area but around here a Catalina 22 or similar boat can be had for 2K or less. If you purchase the 40' to live on and find it too much starting out I would think you could pick up a little day sailer for cheap and balance your learning between the two.

Once you grow out of the small boat simply sell it and start sailing your large boat/house.

Just a thought and good luck

Tony
sikest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 14:13   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
I'm 49 and "unfit" and only "learned" to sail last year and bought a 39' boat as my first. My equal of a wife and I manage to handle the boat just fine.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 21:55   #19

Welp howday again all. Went out to have a look at the Adams 40 day before last, then back to look at the albion yesterday.

Ended up making an offer for the albion, see how that goes.

I did end up deciding that a 40" boat would be ok for me, but after travelling about 300 kms to see the adams (with a flat tire and having to find and purchase another one along the way) the boat was in a state of disrepair. The pictures looked good, the boat however looked like the pictures were taken about 3 years ago(basically confirmed by the owner) and it hasn't been touched since, except by mold/rust/corrosion.

While it would have been available quite cheaply I think, I can't really afford a fixer upper atm. So yah word of warning for other prospective boat buyers out there, make sure the pictures of the boat in question are up to date. Ah well thems the breaks.

And once again thanks for the advice all, will definately have a look at some 40 foot boats if the deal on this one doesn't end up eventuating.

ps:- Reality Check: I know fibreglass is a good material, most boats and indeed most boats that cross oceans are fibreglass but I guess it's just a personal thing, I'm a bit of a tech/geek/nerd and think i'd have a bit less of a learning curve learning how to maintain/repair steel then a GRP boat. Basically it's the material which i'm most comfortable with. I'm not dead set on metal, it's just my main preference and living in aus there are quite a number of metal boats and I haven't seen any fibreglass ones in my price range that are any more suitable yet.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 01:48   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Good for the learning curve to hands on see honest boats with the problems well visible - helps make it easier to spot those whose problems are not so visible.

Happy hunting
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote