Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2015, 06:15   #571

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
ummm, i would imagine you can only face North ?
No wonder so many polar explorers perished. "We just gotta head east to base camp, fellas.".
Old 27-03-2015, 06:29   #572

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
But ... but ... the scientists are all just lying and fudging the data to rake in the funding. So, why would they put a caveat on anything?!
I believe that they believe what they believe others want to believe to be true.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:05   #573
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I believe that they believe what they believe others want to believe to be true.
Those climate scientists are soooo clever ... except when it comes to climate change. And then the likes of some guy on CF calling himself "Reefmagnet" knows better, obvioiusly!
Old 27-03-2015, 08:17   #574

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
They were trying to get in there and every year the CSIRO ship does. They just left it way to late to get out.

"At what point does weather become climate'? Was that a serious question?
December is not too late to get out.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:20   #575

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Those climate scientists are soooo clever ... except when it comes to climate change. And then the likes of some guy on CF calling himself "Reefmagnet" knows better, obvioiusly!
Typical warmista tactic to belittle the opponent. Tell him the science is settled or maybe the one about 97% of scientists believing in man made global warming.

That oughta do it.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:58   #576
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Typical warmista tactic to belittle the opponent. Tell him the science is settled or maybe the one about 97% of scientists believing in man made global warming.

That oughta do it.
Well, maybe if those scientists put as much effort into their research as they do in perpetrating a global conspiracy to hoodwink the taxpayers, they'd conclude that it's all a hoax, too!
Old 27-03-2015, 09:15   #577

Typical left wing maneuvering data. I'm referring to 97% of scientist believing in man made global warming. A more correct percent is 97% of US Scientist paid by Gov. to believe in Global climate change. Fifteen thousand world wide scientist do not agree on man made global warming.
Old 27-03-2015, 09:24   #578

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

" There you go, man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles
And piles
Of trials
With smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave
And keep on thinking free."

Moody Blues

Ayn Rand
Old 27-03-2015, 10:00   #579

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Well, maybe if those scientists put as much effort into their research as they do in perpetrating a global conspiracy to hoodwink the taxpayers, they'd conclude that it's all a hoax, too!
Almost any schmuck can look at a thermometer and write down the temperature every day and plot it on a graph, but it takes a real pro to look at that same thermometer, and appropriately "interpret" the data. It's the biggest difference between a minimum wage job and millions of dollars in grants to "study" AGW, and nobody said that they don't put a lot of effort into doing it. How many of those grants to study AGW do you suppose are awarded to up and coming young climate scientists who state that they don't believe AGW exists?
Old 27-03-2015, 10:06   #580

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Clearly, a guy on CF calling himself Reefmagnet could never be trusted to know anything about the worlds climate, it takes the likes of some guy on CF calling himself "sneuman" to really get to the bottom of it, obviously!
Old 27-03-2015, 10:07   #581
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Almost any schmuck can look at a thermometer and write down the temperature every day and plot it on a graph, but it takes a real pro to look at that same thermometer, and appropriately "interpret" the data. It's the biggest difference between a minimum wage job and millions of dollars in grants to "study" AGW, and nobody said that they don't put a lot of effort into doing it. How many of those grants to study AGW do you suppose are awarded to up and coming young climate scientists who state that they don't believe AGW exists?
More than a few, it would appear:
Scientific Journals Alerted to Fossil Fuel Funding of Contrarian Climate Studies | InsideClimate News

"[Between] 2008 and 2011, Soon approached several fossil fuel interests with proposals to study how the sun affects climate change. The companies are ExxonMobil, the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, the electric utility Southern Company Services Inc., and Donors Trust Inc., an organization that facilitates contributions largely toward conservative causes from donors who wish to remain anonymous.

Since 2008, [Harvard scientist Willie] Soon received more than $800,000 from those companies, according to the documents and other public records obtained by Greenpeace and the Climate Investigations Center. About a third came from Southern Company."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...Hock-Soon.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ing-oil-money/

Not Just the Koch Brothers: New Drexel Study Reveals Funders Behind the Climate Change Denial Effort - See more at: http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2013/D....1J608QOP.dpuf
http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2013/D...limate-Change/
Old 27-03-2015, 11:41   #582
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
Typical left wing maneuvering data. I'm referring to 97% of scientist believing in man made global warming. A more correct percent is 97% of US Scientist paid by Gov. to believe in Global climate change. Fifteen thousand world wide scientist do not agree on man made global warming.
15000, what you counted them all ??????
Old 27-03-2015, 12:24   #583
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regarding the Oregon petition:

(Wikipedia)
In 2001, Scientific American took a random sample "of 30 of the 1,400 signatories claiming to hold a Ph.D. in a climate-related science."

"Of the 26 we were able to identify in various databases, 11 said they still agreed with the petition —- one was an active climate researcher, two others had relevant expertise, and eight signed based on an informal evaluation. Six said they would not sign the petition today, three did not remember any such petition, one had died, and five did not answer repeated messages. Crudely extrapolating, the petition supporters include a core of about 200 climate researchers – a respectable number, though rather a small fraction of the climatological community."
Old 27-03-2015, 13:09   #584
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Layman's View:
I live in Florida, USA. It is essentially a long narrow spit of sand and limestone. Just a few weeks ago, I got a load of crushed limestone from a quarry about 25 miles inland. The stone was dug from a level about 50' below grade at an elevation of about 20' above sea level.

There were dozens (if not hundreds) of fossils intermingled with stone; shark's teeth mostly. Logic (not that the GW folks ever apply logic) would dictate that at some time in the past, the water was at least 20' deeper than today. Some time in the past could be quantified by a geologist by the 50' of material over the fossils, however I digress..... The Earth had a lot more oceans back then, which again means (to me) that it was warmer.

My inlaws are Canadian. Much of the rocks in their town bear marks... glacial marks. I've seen the same marks on rocks in the Carolinas.... CRAP, the Earth must have been MUCH colder then.

Layman's Hypothesis: The Earth warms and cools; been doing so for a lot longer than this civilization has been here.... so either this cycle is natural or outside the ability of man to create, OR....... there was another civilization of intelligent beings who farted up the atmosphere with their space ships and caused another damnable warming period.

Layman's Conclusion: Global Warming Caused By Man Is A Hoax
Old 27-03-2015, 13:58   #585

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Layman's View:
I live in Florida, USA. It is essentially a long narrow spit of sand and limestone. Just a few weeks ago, I got a load of crushed limestone from a quarry about 25 miles inland. The stone was dug from a level about 50' below grade at an elevation of about 20' above sea level.

There were dozens (if not hundreds) of fossils intermingled with stone; shark's teeth mostly. Logic (not that the GW folks ever apply logic) would dictate that at some time in the past, the water was at least 20' deeper than today. Some time in the past could be quantified by a geologist by the 50' of material over the fossils, however I digress..... The Earth had a lot more oceans back then, which again means (to me) that it was warmer.

My inlaws are Canadian. Much of the rocks in their town bear marks... glacial marks. I've seen the same marks on rocks in the Carolinas.... CRAP, the Earth must have been MUCH colder then.

Layman's Hypothesis: The Earth warms and cools; been doing so for a lot longer than this civilization has been here.... so either this cycle is natural or outside the ability of man to create, OR....... there was another civilization of intelligent beings who farted up the atmosphere with their space ships and caused another damnable warming period.

Layman's Conclusion: Global Warming Caused By Man Is A Hoax
That summary is one of the best examples in 38 pages as to why 'layman' need to leave the science to 'scientists'.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water