Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 17:31   #1141
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 629
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
You are referring to the unchanged temperature for theu past 15-20 years Tensen?


The 'highs' keep getting higher, and the 'lows' keep getting higher. What part of "it's getting warmer" don't you understand?
__________________

__________________
SailOar is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 17:50   #1142
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Try the PETM, it resulted in mass extinctions.. If you wish a link I can provide one.
As did the result of at least one meteorite strike, possibly more.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 19:58   #1143
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
As did the result of at least one meteorite strike, possibly more.
Big difference. We can be affect CO2 emissions.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 20:17   #1144
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Looks like we cooled slightly in March!! Was that supposed to happen?


__________________
LakeSuperior is online now  
Old 08-04-2015, 20:26   #1145
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Big difference. We can be affect CO2 emissions.
The PETM: Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My counter argument is that mankind didn't start that particular global warming episode and most certainly didn't finish it. Planet Earth would seem quite capable of wreaking havoc without our input.

Meteorites are totally unconnected with the whims of climate. With the right weaponry, it's not unfeasible to think that we could smash a higher percentage of meteorites intent on doing us harm than an absolute annual 3 to 4% CO2 reduction (because that's the total anthropogenic contribution) that could be achieved in the "fight" against global warming.

In the last 65 million years the score appears to be 1 all between catastrophic climate change and meteorite disasters and yet we are doing nothing at all in the prevention of the latter

And, for those about how are meteorites relevant to climate change... Prehistoric climate change due to cosmic crash in Canada: Team reveals cause of global climate shift 12,900 years ago
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 20:28   #1146
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Looks like we cooled slightly in March!! Was that supposed to happen?


It is supposed to here. It's Autumn!
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 20:53   #1147
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It is supposed to here. It's Autumn!
What part of global do you not get?
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 20:56   #1148
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The PETM: Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My counter argument is that mankind didn't start that particular global warming episode and most certainly didn't finish it. Planet Earth would seem quite capable of wreaking havoc without our input.

[/url]
Yes - and we are wreaking havoc at a pace that is 10 times faster than the PETM.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 22:06   #1149
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Yes - and we are wreaking havoc at a pace that is 10 times faster than the PETM.
See round and round and round we go. Exactly what havoc are we wreaking?That's the bit I'm not getting.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 22:07   #1150
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What part of global do you not get?
Hang on - that was a supportive argument! I threw a dummy as we say over here
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 22:29   #1151
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

And here is the disaster that global warming is wrecking on the maldives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maldives, Mahle.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	100157  
__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 00:09   #1152
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
You are referring to the unchanged temperature for theu past 15-20 years Tensen?
Which unchanged temperatures would those be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
Today.......999,600 Parts Per Million are not CO2.
.......800,000 years ago 999,700 Parts Per Million were not CO2.
3,500,000 years ago ....999,600 Parts Per Million were not CO2.
Source: Jackdale April 2015.
Hmmmmmmm. I think we have defined hysteria. Thanks Jackdale.
What a ridiculous conclusion.

Does 0.005 ppm by mass (5ng/kg) of botulínicas toxin sound like an incredibly small concentration to you? It's enough to kill you.

A 40% increase in the concentration of CO2 is extremely significant.
__________________
Tensen is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 00:10   #1153
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I do apologise that I've been quoting "most likely", but the facts for the record are it's gone from "very likely" in 2007 to "extremely likely" in 2013.
You said it was "up in the air". That's a very, very long way removed from "extremely likely".

Quote:
You provide the evidence I'm wrong. You can't. You can't because birds recorded to have been killed by AGW excluding those run over by climate researchers on their way to do climate research stuff = 0.
For starters I wasn't the person who said you were wrong.
Second, the burden of proof lies with the person asserting a claim. You say wind farms kill more birds - it's up to you to provide supporting evidence for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
There's undeniable evidence - more so than that of catastrophic global warming - of severe meteorite strikes on planet Earth with an "extremely likely" potential of more to come. On the basis of "precautionary principle", why should not billions be spent on research and building anti-meteorite defense systems?
Because the probability of us being hit by one in the foreseeable future is incredibly small.

Quote:
Again, I note that there is nothing but conjecture so far to indicate that some kind of major climate catastrophe is unfolding after a quarter of a century of intensive climate research.
Extreme weather is increasing. Sea levels are rising. Deserts are expanding. Ice is melting. People (not you personally) are feeling the negative effects of AGW right now.

Quote:
Should that change at any time, I'm pretty sure you'll find this sea of "denial" will quickly evaporate.
"Sea"? "Pond" would be a little closer to the truth.
__________________
Tensen is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 00:12   #1154
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Looks like we cooled slightly in March!! Was that supposed to happen?


I can only assume that you're pretending that you don't know such a short term variation is meaningless.


Quote:
Why on earth are you wasting space here with data on atmospheric temperatures when it's surface temperatures that are spiking?
__________________
Tensen is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 00:30   #1155
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Because the probability of us being hit by one in the foreseeable future is incredibly small.
Re: Meteor strike

Quote:
Extreme weather is increasing. Sea levels are rising. Deserts are expanding. Ice is melting. People (not you personally) are feeling the negative effects of AGW right now.
Re: AGW disasters currently occuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
....
Second, the burden of proof lies with the person asserting a claim. You say wind farms kill more birds - it's up to you to provide supporting evidence for that.
...
Righto champ. Your turn to practice what you preach.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts: Global warming behind 2005 hurricanes CaptainK Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 25-04-2006 22:42
Scientists blame sun for global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 17 17-04-2006 11:25
Public service ads aim to raise awareness about global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 11 26-03-2006 13:52
Pacific islanders move to escape global warming CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 36 17-01-2006 00:30
New source of global warming gas found: plants CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 6 16-01-2006 00:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.