Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2022, 11:01   #1

Visiting Darwin, NT

As part of a trip next year, I'm going to be passing through Darwin and am looking for information on sailing while I'm there. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who likes to go out and is open to taking along someone to help. I've got certifications and a bit of experience in the Sea of Cortez and Florida Keys but most of my experience is lake sailing.

If necessary, I'd look at renting a small boat for the day but my research, so far, has revealed few options for renting a 20-30 ft boat for a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help.
PvilleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 14:12   #2

Re: Visiting Darwin, NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvilleBob View Post
As part of a trip next year, I'm going to be passing through Darwin and am looking for information on sailing while I'm there. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who likes to go out and is open to taking along someone to help. I've got certifications and a bit of experience in the Sea of Cortez and Florida Keys but most of my experience is lake sailing.

If necessary, I'd look at renting a small boat for the day but my research, so far, has revealed few options for renting a 20-30 ft boat for a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help.

Darwin has an 8 metre tidal range and a hell of a lot of salt water crocs so perhaps avoid renting a “small boat”. I’m reasonably confident there will be a Wednesday Arvo race but why not do a sunset cruise, there are several operators that go out regularly and if you want to be on a sailboat, look for the 22 metre “Cape Adieu”, she’s run and owned by a very competent skipper with a background as a Gulf trawler captain. Sandflies can be a problem for the un initiated.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 20:35   #3

Thanks for the croc notice. As I plan to do the croc cage, I don't think I'll be looking for anything in closer proximity so a small boat would be a poor choice. I was hoping to spend a day sailing rather than as cargo. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who's going out.
PvilleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 22:10   #4

It’s not a cage, it’s a perspex cylinder..... with tooth marks on it.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote