Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 17:57   #1
FEC

Southbay Los Angeles

Hello everyone! My wife and I bought a 1997 50' Beneteau. The boat is located in The Chesapeake Bay and we will be returning to her this March. In the meantime, since we have no experience on this vessel and the weather is so much more comfortable out here, we would like to be shown by someone with a similar boat how to sail it so when we get back to the Chesapeake, we don't look like complete idiots. We took ASA101 but that Farr40 is just two sheets and a tiller. The Beneteau has far more than that! Anyway, if someone would like to help us we are extremely willing to learn and we have some funds to offer. We live in Redondo Beach , my wife is 42 and I'm 45 and we are looking to sail the Beneteau back to Los Angeles...eventually. The quicker we can start the better as we leave Los Angeles for Herrington Harbor on March4th.

Thanks everyone, hope someone can give us a hand.
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 02:21   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Southbay Los Angeles

I can't help you due to lack of proximity! However, I'm kinda wondering... did you really take the sailing part of ASA101 in a Farr 40? That's an unusual approach to say the least!

Jim
Old 15-01-2020, 18:04   #3
FEC

Yes, I know. It's what first got me into racing crews in San Pedro and Newport Beach.
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 18:59   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

That's an interesting approach to learning how to sail! Kinda deep end stuff...

But good onya, mate, and I hope some good soul gets you started down the road with a more cruising oriented vessel to crew on. Racing is good training for some aspects of sailing, but not so much for boat ownership and systems maintenance... the crux of cruising.

Good luck and I hope the eventual passage(s) from the Chessie to LA are enjoyable.

Jim