Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09   #1

Boat: Manta 40
Lots of Wannabes any real sailors out there??

Hi

I've been looking for one or two people -- even a couple -- age, sex, race, are all wide open to take a trip thru the Bahamas on a 40 foot Manta Catamaran.

I've gotten about 8 responses where everyone seeks to impress me with their sailing experience and their personal legends -- then as we talk and the idea becomes real -- they make lame excuses about the wife's arthritis, or the dog, or well you name it. They are not even creative, just pathetic.

So if you are a real sailor that wants to take a real trip leaving Punta Gorda FL on or about 2 March and can commit a minimum of two weeks but preferably a month or more then please contact me with an IM and I will give you my cell number and we can talk.

If you would like to make the whole trip ~ 5 months I would like to share onboard expenses and I can explain that, my credentials, and the boat's equipment.

At any rate, this is a great opportunity to sail some blue water and to visit some off the beaten track cays in Exuma.

Hope to hear from sincere and capable sailors.

Finishing final fit out work and starting to provision.

I'm ready -- let's go!

Tom
Sunsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:57   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Lots of Wannabes any real sailors out there??

Sometimes one has to sweeten the deal in order to attract experienced and reliable crews. Covering on-board food cost and helping out traveling expense are not too much to ask for the boat owner to shell out. No one is expecting you to feed them for months when the passage is over.

Most of the time, you get what you pay for. I am just sayinnnnnnng.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:11   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetter View Post
I've gotten about 8 responses where everyone seeks to impress me with their sailing experience and their personal legends -- then as we talk and the idea becomes real -- they make lame excuses about the wife's arthritis, or the dog, or well you name it. They are not even creative, just pathetic.
THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK !!!!!

BUT

Is it possible that when they talk to you they get a bad feeling about spending lots of time with you?

Some people can come off a bit strange on the phone. But once you get to know them better you get along. I wonder if a video phone (Skype etc.) would help?

No put down intended.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:00   #4

Hello I am Anthony and you can't please all. Lets go.... 484 756 5255
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 04:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK !!!!!

BUT

Is it possible that when they talk to you they get a bad feeling about spending lots of time with you?

Some people can come off a bit strange on the phone. But once you get to know them better you get along. I wonder if a video phone (Skype etc.) would help?

No put down intended.
Bingo. Negotiating a deal like this is a two-way street. OP is already blaming the "wannabes" and not one potential crew has even gone so far as set a foot on deck it seems.

I've sailed with captains and owners who let it be known that nothing you ever did was right, or that expected crew to be personal servants and/or unpaid worker bees.

I was once even told, when working a free but unpaid gig as a favor to the owner that I was not to speak with the paid charter guests unless spoken too, as I was "professional crew." **, I took time off, paid my own airfare, and this was my vacation too. Next time hire paid crew if you need a competent mate running ypurcharter business, if that's the type of service you want. Inever set foot on that boat again.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 08:27   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Have you tried Hank Schmidt's Offshore Passage Opportunities? I think vetted Captains get free listings for crew. I use them.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 08:58   #7

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
Have you tried Hank Schmidt's Offshore Passage Opportunities? I think vetted Captains get free listings for crew. I use them.
Last time i looked, it is not free for crew looking for position.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 08:58   #8

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Just getting on a boat that you have never seen, with a boat owner that you never met, for me , that would not work. Others, no worries, their choice. .

I have had people on board two week Tahiiti sailing vacations and they were great.
No paid crew, we all shared the bare boat cost. But everyone became part of the team, and everything went very smoothly. Great times.

Then, there were other times, that things were not so good, but we made it work.

You never know what a person is really like , until at sea with them for a few days.

so, just tossing your duffel on board and letting go dock lines, heading off to nearly deserted islands with a boat owner that I never met, does not sound like anything that I would volunteer for. From the post, sounded like a total crew of two.

Maybe I will list the good , and not so good. Mostly good experiences with sailing club members, and friends, and even friends of friends.

Good: I met these wonderful people when I was in Minnesota at an aviation conference. They came out to Orange County , Calif, and they joined Erica and I for a day sail on a Newport 30.
Their back ground , was power boating, rescue ski team, lady a airline pilot, fellow building a plane is his garage. We still keep in touch , after over 20 plus years.

i called them about a sailing the BVI for two weeks. They agreed. As time ran down, I called Phil, and suggested he might pick up a book on basic sailing. I was delighted to hear his remark..... "The only sailing that we have done was that few hour day sail with you out of Newport Beach. At this very moment, I am headed back to the Library, as I just finished reading TWO books on basic sailing. Need to return them."

Those two weeks , with them, sailing the BVI , was outstanding. They became wonderful friends . This was quite a while back. Nancy has just retired as a pilot flying the heavies world wide for FED EX. They both joined in helm watches, trimming sails, cooking, mooring pick ups, anchoring, keeping the boat squared away, and contributing to a fantastic two week BVI cruise. Outstanding

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so good. In fact pretty bad. Three fellows from our sailing club , who I knew. And they had some of their sailing lessons with me.

As time passed, We had sailed in flotillas, not on the same boat, to Catalina Island, and associated at social get togethers with the sailing club. But other than the lessons, not shared sailing on the same vessel.

A delivery of a new ericson 35 sloop came up. They all wanted to help me bring it back up after being raced down to Cabo San Lucas.

Turned out these three were stone alcoholics, put the vessel and crew in danger, could not be counted on, etc, etc. 1100 mile delivery. So, Erica and I did all of the navigation, and slept very little in two weeks. The auto pilot did not work, so I made each of them an auto pilot . That was there sole responsibility. Steer the boat. I took the mid watches, and Erica stood the 2000 to 2400 hrs watches. We made it thru, but , we constantly had to keep an easy eye on each of them. I had to keep things mellow , yet keep the vessel safe, and return with all the gelcoat that we started with.

However, the vast majority of our international world wide sailing vacations were absolutely outstanding. As were our coastal california and channel islands sailing cruises.

Now, it is just Erica and I, and we kind of like it that way. We share all of the vessels duties, and have a fun time .

However, I would not be inclined to act as crew on board an unknown vessel , with and a boat owner who I had never met.

Just one question, in these situations, why do they even come up. Does the owner not know anyone who already sails with him, or knows him, who would volunteer .

I have found that just because they own a boat, or a catamaran, I am not in anyway aware of their actual seamanship knowledge, personality, or human values .

I know zip about them. For me, I do not think it would be a good idea.

Others have that freedom to make their own decisions.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:00   #9

So,, let me get this straight,,
You've blown ALL your savings on a Catamaran
and now you want a couple of crew to pay your
way through the Bahamas.. preferably a couple
of hotties... 😂😂😂
Easy cruising man,, go do it solo,, you'll meet
lots of people and who nows,, may even be a
widow with cash in her pocket..
If YOU were a REAL sailor yourself, thats what
you'd be doing...
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:31   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

It's $150 a year for crew seeking, free for captains with boats iirc.

I think Hank does a good job of filtering out the baddies on both sides, just my opinion though.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 10:10   #11

Tom, I just sold my Lagoon 400 after a year owning along with 40 years previous sailing experience around Florida and the Keys. I live in PGI myself on Via Veneto. I'd love to discuss the possibilities. Marc.
marcmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 11:21   #12

I've been sailing for over fifty years and hold a USCG 1600 ton master of oceans, sail and power license, but I'm not interested. You did ask if there were "real" sailors out there.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 19:39   #13

Can you tell me more about your trip?

What is your typical day to day?

Do you have snorkel and or spear fishing on board - or are ok with it?

What is your basic itinerary: Countries and basic timeline?

What expenses are you expecting from your crew?

Other details?

Quote:
Hi

I've been looking for one or two people -- even a couple -- age, sex, race, are all wide open to take a trip thru the Bahamas on a 40 foot Manta Catamaran.

So if you are a real sailor that wants to take a real trip leaving Punta Gorda FL on or about 2 March and can commit a minimum of two weeks but preferably a month or more then please contact me with an IM and I will give you my cell number and we can talk.

If you would like to make the whole trip ~ 5 months I would like to share onboard expenses and I can explain that, my credentials, and the boat's equipment.

At any rate, this is a great opportunity to sail some blue water and to visit some off the beaten track cays in Exuma.

Hope to hear from sincere and capable sailors.

Finishing final fit out work and starting to provision.

I'm ready -- let's go!

Tom
windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 22:36   #14

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
...if you are a real sailor that wants to take a real trip leaving Punta Gorda FL...to sail some blue water and to visit some off the beaten track cays in Exuma...
Why the necessity to find 'real, sincere and capable sailors'?
Presuming that you've a well prepared boat and you're competent and confident in yourself, then why not just look around for one or two people whom you can get along with, even if they're novice sailors? You can increase the fun by teaching them to sail along the way, you'll have ample time to cover the basics as you coast-hop through the sheltered waters of western Florida, depending where you jump-off from, the 'Blue Water' element's no more than 12-36 hours across the Gulf Stream (wait for a nice day) so just long enough to add some 'spice' to the journey, whereafter you're back to the sheltered waters of the Bahamas chain.

Just relax and have fun, it's got the potential to be a great trip and you'll soon discover that it's really not that difficult.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 23:16   #15

sorry wrong thread.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail