Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 03:45   #1

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner
Jax,Fl to Rochester,NY via CDN Maritimes

THE VOYAGE:
We are sailing our Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner "Moonbeam" from Jacksonville, Fl to Rochester, NY via the Canadian Maritimes, St. Lawrence River and the Thousand Islands, a several thousand mile plus voyage. I can't begin to tell you of the beauty you will see on this voyage. Even with our endangered oceans you will see, up close a lot of sea life. The Gulf of St. Lawrence is famed for the gathering of whales, dolphins, seals, seabirds. it is a voyage you will never forget.

THE VESSEL:
"Moonbeam" (MB)was custom built by world class Fraser Yachts in Cape Town, South Africa in 1998. Since acquiring her we have done a major refit replacing all critical components. She has a recent SAMS survey with no restrictions. We carry a full complement of safety gear from a life raft to harness lights and everything in-between including an EPRIB and sat communications.
"MB" is very sea kindly and under the right conditions, very fast.
Down below she is fitted out like an old time Pullman car and the workmanship is museum quality.

OPERATIONS:
while underway there will be around the clock watch standing, sail tending and navigation, hence we are seeking experienced crew. "MB" drives really well and everything is brought back to the cockpit for easy sail tending. We usually run a 4 hour on/8 hr off watch schedule with three crewmembers. if we have four crew the watch schedule will be adjusted.

COSTS:
This is a shared cost voyage, depending on how many crew are onboard, we equally split the consumables, fuel and dockage (I don't usually dock, preferring to anchor)equally.
In addition, Crew is responsible for their travel expenses, onshore lodging and per diem expenses.

CREW:
Crew will need a passport (note: if you have ever had a DUI or have a criminal record and have not obtained a certificate of rehabilitation from Canadian Customs and Immigration department, please don't apply. Canadian Immigration will remove you from the boat immediately and send you packing straight out of the country, at your expense) to enter and transit Canada.
Crew will need proof of health insurance, no shot records are required.
Crew will need to bring layered clothing that will suffice from warm FL to the much cooler maritimes.
Soft luggage only, there is no extra room for hard luggage.

ACCOMODIATIONS:
"MB" has two staterooms available, one double and one single.
We anticipate a three week voyage with potential calling ports, Province Town, MA,-Canso, NS-Montreal, Que., of course weather will have a big factor in how we proceed, especially if we are driven in by weather or need of supplies.
We will be using Chris Parker's weather routing service to make the best of the Gulf Stream and favorable weather.
I have been sailing for over 50 years on all of our oceans..
I ask for and provide sailing references.
BTW, this is my sixth trip through the maritimes and my 18th voyage up and down the East Coast.
if you have any questions or would like to be considered for the adventure, please PM me.
Thanks again for checking this out.
Fair Winds,
Mike
a.k.a. Captain Moonbeam
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 04:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Jax,Fl to Rochester,NY via CDN Maritimes

You posted a very good description.one of the best I have seen posted on CF.

But, it begs a question:

Since you have done this route before, with numerous trips up the East Coast and through the Maritimes, how much do you expect the "Shared Cost" contribution from the crew will be or has been in past voyages?

In other words, what do you expect it to cost your crew, per person, at minimum and maximum?

Assume you have two singles joining you as crew, your voyage takes your planned three weeks, etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 05:17   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The adventure of a lifetime, in style.

Moonbeam is a true beauty, classic lines in a solid boat. She's a fast, solid sailing vessel that looks stunning under sail. Below decks, you're greeted by the warm scent of mahogany, bringing back memories of the South Pacific. Bring a camera.

Mike is an intrepid sailor. He has no qualms about making night passages or sailing in weather. He's a hardy salt with vast experience.

The Thousand Islands region presents unrivaled beauty. You may have to beg or threaten Mike to slow it down for you. Tell him you want to take the American shore, and get a copy of Paul Malo's A Floating World so you understand all of the turn of the century mansions owned by Vanderbilts, Pullmans, and other rich people. Tell him you want to visit the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY and spend a night on the hook in South Bay, Carleton Island where the British built warships until the War of 1812. He may hem and haw, but you have to experience the region.

Make sure you don't arrive at the destination too early. Right now the view from Mike's dock indicates that the approach may be challenging. Feel free to use the grill, there's propane in it.

Wish I could go but it's iceboat season.

Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 06:14   #4

When are you leaving?
behedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:54   #5

Hi!

I'm quite interested in your sail plan. Have you left yet? Do you still need crew?

I'm a small boat monohul owner in Canada hoping to buy in a year or so when I have a little more experience. I have a good understanding of sailing basics, have completed ASA 101 and happy to learn everything. I have sailed in NZ, Australia and passed from Panama to Cartagena in very rough waters (not getting sick although the rest of the boat did).

I'm a 42 year old canadian engineer (movie writer also), speak English and 70 % spanish and have travelled half of the world by motorbike, so I have a few stories. I also have 50 scuba dives and my rescue diver certification.

I am semi-retired working 3 months per year and have the next 3-4 months to get on some boats, hopefully yours!

Please let me know if there is an opportunity to sail with you in the next weeks.

Happy to provide references.

Thanks
Brad Cougle
+1 403 554 3668
bacougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:15   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like an awesome trip. I’ve done the L. Ont. down the St. Lawrence section. For my money, the St. Lawrence below Quebec City was the most spectacular. Do take your time going through there. You’ll want to linger in many places, most especially up the Saguenay (the Saguenay Fjord National Park).

It won’t be an easy trip going upriver. The prevailing winds are against you, and the tides and currents are large and ferocious in places. But going with an experienced captain would be a great way to do this journey. Good luck.
Old 20-02-2018, 17:58   #7

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions.
Life got in the way.
On expenses, it really depends on the weather and crews wishes.
Good, fast winds equal less fuel, food, dockage and consumables. Contrary winds complicate the above.
It's three crew splitting the above, it's not big dollars.
I normally like to anchor out, but at times we may need to tie up.
I am afraid the slow down, on this voyage, only comes when we meet the St. Lawrence from Rimouski to Montreal, then it's a battle for tide and current, really lets one enjoy the scenic views of the lower st. Lawrence.
The response to this voyage has been incredible. I'm pleased to see the interest in sailing Moonbeam.
I am still accepting crew resumes until first week of march and will be making my selection by mid-March.
Thanks for your interest!
Rit
Old 20-02-2018, 18:30   #8

P.S.
Lv Jacksonville late May, weather dependent.
Old 21-02-2018, 16:42   #9

Boat: 19' Lightning

Capt'n Moonbeam, are you by any chance related to Jerry Brown of California?

Does Moonbeam have a bowsprit and if so, does she fly a stays'l, and a upper working jib?
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:10   #10

Yes to bowsprit, yes she flys!
Jerry who ?[emoji868]
Old 27-03-2018, 20:20   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4163.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	167222
Old 27-03-2018, 20:21   #12

Have one berth left!
Old 27-03-2018, 21:19   #13

Boat: 19' Lightning

Might be interested in the sail up the East Coast. 40 yrs sailing experience, 5000 miles offshore experience in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf and Caribbean. Owned 12 boats, in excellent physical condition.

scomo1947(at)yahoo(dot)com
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 14:34   #14

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

Single berth still available? Where in Jacksonville are you? I live in St. Augustine Beach and would like to get acquainted. One sailor lady with great cooking skills, looking for blue water experience. Taken ASA101 and own an Ericson 27.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 19:01   #15

That might be kind of lengthy for me. But I'd like to learn more. I just posted this under crew a few minutes ago.

Proven reliability. CEO of international disaster recovery company with 110 locations. I lead 160+ retired fire chiefs. Can be trusted to make good decisions under pressure.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-hosto-96245b9

Logical, rational, thoughtful. Good conversationalist. No hangups, personality issues.

Seeking sailing / delivery opportunity in FL, Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean.

Been sailing a Hunter 31 at a sail club in St. Augustine but still a novice sailer. I can single hand a 31 in rough water but no blue water experience.

ASA 101, 103.

No chemical dependency issues, no emotional hangups. Happily married father of 3.

I have high expectations of those I work in socialize with. I have no desire to get on a boat with alcoholics or people with emotional issues.

Attachment 167507
Atlantic Beach is offline   Reply With Quote