Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 13:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Is this even realistic?

Alchemy has a point but we have an latrenative. We rarely take crew as there have been six of us on board. When the kids were smaller we did take crew occassionally and always preferred them to be novices as they did what was asked rather than react as they thought best. Just having someone on watch is a blessing sometimes to enable rest to be taken. I dont have an issue with being woken up to be advised of a potential (or not) issue. The crew member then learns the way we run our boat and not the way someone else does. There are no arguements about wearing a life jacket / harness at night, or not peeing of the transom once under way.
I much prefer someone like you rather a know it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
No, because in addition to being a danger to me, you'd be a danger to yourself.

Don't lose heart; I'm not a nasty a-hole, but I wouldn't give a baby an angle grinder, either.

The best way to learn is to find a boat club with active racers. Many offer a discount membership that alternates in-class sail training with crew opportunities for racers. Racing skippers always need crew, even "here, hold the rope and do nothing" crew. A couple of seasons of racing in different boats will train you nicely to the point where you can get your own boat, or to the point you discover you may be more experienced than a lot of club racers. Then you'll really be popular.
Old 04-09-2016, 14:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I used to do a number of deliveries and was always looking for crew. A number of times I took on crew with zero boating experience and can think of only one somewhat negative experience. It did help that almost all were friends or friends of friends so we could determine in advance if there might be personality differences.

I was very careful in evaluating their ability to handle the boat and stand watch before allowing them to be on watch alone. Also left very, very strict instructions to be called immediately for anything or nothing.

Always worked out well.

A good attitude and willingness to pitch and do your share in whatever boat chores come up goes a long way.

I do however highly recommend checking out if you're subject to motion sickness. I was lucky in that regard and never had a crew that was really sensitive. However, a friend hired a crew member that fell deathly ill the second they left the dock and couldn't get out of bed until they docked again.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:46   #18

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kveebee View Post
Disclosure: This is my first ever post on this forum

I'm 50. Divorced. My sailing experience is EXTREMELY limited, like it might as well be zero.

Would anybody be willing to take on crew member like me? I'm a fast learner, independent, open-minded. What are your suggestions for dipping my toe in the cruising-life waters?

I do have language skills: fluent French and getting-there Spanish

I've taken on crew with your CV for island hopping in the Caribbean; although, all arranged on line ahead of time. Main attribute for me was can you cook, moderate drinker, pay your way and share food cost. (Not rice & beans every day) All other boat costs to my account. Experience is nice, but not essential.
Obtained crew through 'Crewseekers International'
Old 05-09-2016, 21:14   #19

Boat: Don't yet have a boat

Ok, so as someone also new to this forum (my first posting), and also someone relatively new to sailing, and yet to own a boat, this is my experience which perhaps is a little pertinent in regards to the query.

I am a little ahead of kveebee, though totally understand where he is at. I too wanted to go sailing for many years, but for a myriad of reasons, it never happened. I had in my younger days done a little bit of sailing including some cruising locally in Tasmania coastal waters, but that was about it. Like kveebee, I too am divorced and as a part of this had been looking for new opportunities in life, beyond the rigours of work, home and family, plus various sporting activities. And so about 1 1/2 years ago, I decided it really was time I did something about wanting to learn to sail. Since then I have also taken an early retirement, so have even more time at my disposal.

Another trigger re this desire to sail, was the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Festival and walking around seeing all those lovely boats and wishing I too could be a part of this kind of lifestyle. But more re this later.

So, what to do. First off, I didn't initially know anyone either with a boat, or at least how to approach those I did know, once I had found out they had a boat to see if they might take me out to introduce me to sailing. Life has a funny way though of making opportunities happen. I met through my current partner a couple (who are now friends), who have a boat (a '36 ft Pilot house cruising yacht). Their advice to me was to join the club they belonged to, it being the Cruising Yacht Club of Tas (CYCT). And so I did.

So that is my first recommendation to anyone, join a yacht club as it will open a range of possibilities, be it through an ability to meet other boat owners who may be willing to take you out for an afternoon's sail, a weekend or longer. Also in joining a yacht club, you will find they usually offer technical forums, and/or link in/or provide sail training (navigation, coms, passage planning, boat maintenance, medical etc etc) and this is an invaluable resource to gaining experience.

The next thing that happened for me, is that I did meet a number of members who have done exactly that in providing me opportunities to go out sailing, both day, and weekend cruising, and have been willing to help guide/teach me the basics of sailing, including sail setting/trimming, navigation-chart plotters, coms, anchoring, steering etc.

As others have mentioned, racing also can be a really good way to learn about setting up a boat to obtain the maximum performance of the yacht. I have now completed my first season of twilight racing and am looking forward to me second season. I managed to go racing both on a Hanse 40 as well as more regularly on a Farr 38. And I loved this aspect of sailing.

But the biggest opportunity I have experienced so far, was the invitation to join the skipper and a friend of his on his boat (a Nauticat 38 Pilot house cutter rigged ketch)for a two week cruise up the East Coast of Tassie, to Bass Straight (think of the famous Sydney to Hobart yacht race), to visit a range of islands up there. I have to say I learnt more about sailing, and myself in such situations then I had from all the previous sailing including racing, in that one trip. I was useful as I cook, and so was in charge of both provisioning, and cooking/providing all meals for the crew. But I also always was active on deck with the sails, anchoring, and anything else I could. I asked questions, I listened and did my best. Sure i made a few mistakes but that was to be expected given my relative inexperience and was accepted by the others. But I learnt and got better as we went.

I was seasick a few times, but never to the extent i was incapable of being safe or useful. Having been to a recent medical forum with the club, I now know for next time the correct medication to combat sea-sickness. So I don't necessarily think this should be an impediment to most people.

On our trip to Bass Straight, on our second day we did a full 24 hour sail and so this meant us taking it in turns over night to maintain watch (2 hour watches). I enjoyed the trust placed in me, as this was my first overnight sail.

The good thing that I have derived from these experiences, is that it has confirmed to me that I want to do a lot more sailing/cruising and that I really would love to get my own boat but that perhaps logically the best thing to do is first gain more experience such that when I do get my own boat I will have enough confidence in my abilities to be able to sail it. That is my plan, and so while I continue to keep a close eye on the market for possible suitable yachts (34-36 ft mast head sloop), and further work on defining exactly the key features that I want in my boat, until I can proceed with this, I will take all opportunities to go sailing, undertake training courses, read and watch online (YouTube), anything re sailing that I can. This may take another year or two, who knows.

The skipper of the boat I went on for the 2 week cruise has already asked me to join him next year on a similar trip up the coast to some islands in Bass Straight, and various other boat owners are now asking me to join as crew on their boats. It is up to me to chase all opportunities, as there are plenty of boat owners who are willing to take people out sailing. Only last Saturday night at our club Annual dinner, I received an invitation to go on a sail up the rugged West Coast of Tassie next January, with the head of the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Festival. And of course I have said yes. The skipper being a world class sailor with huge experience.

So my point is that a lack of experience shouldn't necessarily mean that no boat owners will be willing to take someone new or with no experience out sailing. It really comes down what you are willing to put into wanting to learn and go sailing, and thereafter making it happen. You have to take charge of your own destiny. Talk to people, let them know you are wanting to learn to sail, and willing to learn and be useful on deck. Be safe, but enjoy the experience. For everyday out on a boat on the water is a great day, even if the conditions are nasty, for you are living the dream.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Alchemy has a point but we have an latrenative. We rarely take crew as there have been six of us on board. When the kids were smaller we did take crew occassionally and always preferred them to be novices as they did what was asked rather than react as they thought best. Just having someone on watch is a blessing sometimes to enable rest to be taken. I dont have an issue with being woken up to be advised of a potential (or not) issue. The crew member then learns the way we run our boat and not the way someone else does. There are no arguements about wearing a life jacket / harness at night, or not peeing of the transom once under way.
I much prefer someone like you rather a know it all.
Encouraging! Thank you
Old 06-09-2016, 06:06   #21

So that is my first recommendation to anyone, join a yacht club as it will open a range of possibilities, be it through an ability to meet other boat owners who may be willing to take you out for an afternoon's sail, a weekend or longer. Also in joining a yacht club, you will find they usually offer technical forums, and/or link in/or provide sail training (navigation, coms, passage planning, boat maintenance, medical etc etc) and this is an invaluable resource to gaining experience.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I checked out some of the details of yacht club membership and... San Diego Yacht Club
not sure I meet ANY of the criteria at all
Old 06-09-2016, 17:31   #22

Boat: Don't yet have a boat

Crikey, they sure don't want members do they, despite the rhetoric saying they welcome all. All I can suggest is perhaps look for a more friendly yacht club in your region. Surely they can't all be so pedantic about who is or is not suitable to join.

In my case, in joining the CYCT, I was nominated by the couple who first suggested I join their club, and they barely knew me, ditto not having a boat wasn't an impediment in the slightest. I turned up to my first meeting as a guest, (which apart from paying the membership fee $80 per year), was the only requirement. I wrote a short bio on who I am and why I was interested in sailing for the club magazine and at my second meeting I was accepted into the club (which essentially is a given), the Commodore gave me a copy of the club Burgee, and some other documents and that was it.

I was actually asked to become the Secretary at our AGM last night, but declined as I don't feel I have been long enough as a member of the club to take on that responsibility.

I wish you well in your quest.
Old 06-09-2016, 17:47   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed reply. I checked out some of the details of yacht club membership and... San Diego Yacht Club
Not sure that you'd want to.

Certainly doesn't sound like the sort of people I'd want to associate with.

Without being rude....
Hmm, I guess there is nothing more to be said.
Old 06-09-2016, 19:14   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome to CF both kveebee and DavidM1600

Both of you have the right attitude to become good sailors and crew mates!

David's experience with a cruising club in Oz is typical of the members accepting and encouraging a deserving newbie. They are a great bunch!

Sailing is not rocket science but a study of Interconnected details while always looking at the big picture.

Finding a good skipper to learn from requires self study and commitment to get the best out of it.....
Mistakes will be made by both you and the skipper (we all make em)
....however as you gain experience you will be better able to assess the competency of whom you choose to sail with and to help minimize those mistakes.

Have fun and stay cool.
Old 19-09-2016, 11:44   #25

Your least expensive bet is likely your local yacht club. Most have members who are happy to give lessons and/or would take you on as a novice crew for weekly races. If you display a 6-pack of beer at the dock, I can almost guarantee a ride.
Old 19-09-2016, 12:45   #26

Quote:
And these clubs wonder why the overall memberships at many (note I didn't say ALL) are on the decline. Particularly when you look average age and new members under 30. These clubs are dinosaurs.

People don't wear jackets in the office anymore, never mind to dinner on a saturday night.
Old 19-09-2016, 13:26   #27

Ya, San Diego may be a little stuffy. I have no experience with them. Most clubs not so much, and are happy to have guests crew (no membership required) on race night. There are a couple of other clubs in San Diego area. My son had a membership at Seaforth which allowed him to rent sailboats at club rates.
Old 19-09-2016, 21:05   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Your profile say MA but you are looking at the "premier" yacht club in SD. Where are you really?

If you are in SD I'll take you sailing once I splash the boat.

If you want a yacht club is SD, try MBYC, we just joined.

SDYC like many high end yacht clubs is almost as much about networking for a certain class of folks as it is about being on the water. Entrance costs and requirements are in part about them making sure you fall into or near that class of folk. Don't get me wrong, if they had the space for my boat and I wouldn't rather spend the initiation fee elsewhere I'd join for that networking as well as the sailing and social activities.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:02   #29

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudbranch View Post
I have "crewed" on several long passages including 9 months to the South Pacific from Porta Valarta, Mexico. If by "crew" you mean for a day or few days along local coastline, yes it is realistic. If you mean by "crew" you are looking for ocean crossings of more than 2 days-- then no, not a good plan for you or any skipper willing to take you on. If you get sea sick and don't get over it after 24-48 hours then you can get into a life threatening declining health situation. Also everyone on the boat is stuck with you and the help you require for an extended period of time. Start local-- I agree that racers in local clubs are always willing to try out and teach a willing newbie, Do the day sails for a few months. Then if you want to go further let it be known you want to do a coastal trip-- a few days. Do a couple of those 2-5 day cruisses; get letters of recommendations from your skippers at the end of each local cruise. Then get yourself to a harbor, at the correct time of year for that harbor, to catch one of the many boats leaving during that optimum time. There are lots of online resources for finding crewing positions. For instance in March every year 15-25 boats leave Porta Valarta, Mexico to sail to the South Pacific and maybe a 1/3 of those will take on EXPERIENCED crew.

Also learn about navigation and "rules of the road" -- take a Coast Guard Auxiliary (or an equivalent) navigation course and general boating course too. The more skills and experience you bring the better your chance of getting a good boat / skipper to crew with.

There are some really good learn and sail classes in the San Juan Islands.
It was a great week long vacation.
Although I had already had sailing experience, racing several years, I did learn many things. Jump on a race boat at you local marina and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-10-2016, 20:30   #30

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

You have very good advise Thudbranch. I crewed on many race boats. My 3 day trip from LaPaz to Cabo was the best and perfect time.
Go slow as they say in Belize!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum