Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 22:05   #1

Have an Idea to move this boat. Wondered who would turn up. Very green owner.

The Stella Serena is in San Diego.
We are part owners working on buying out are partner.
We have the boat up for sale at the moment.
I am interested to learn who is around who might like to help us move it and go on an adventure.
I have friends in Tahiti and it would be amazing to go there.
Here she is.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...917104366.html

We are also interested in getting some income coming in by chartering it and are looking for anyone who might be able to skipper out of San Diego.
Thank you
sbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 02:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Have an Idea to move this boat. Wondered who would turn up. Very green owner.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sbennett.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 04:24   #3

Re: Have an Idea to move this boat. Wondered who would turn up. Very green owner.

Thank you Gord May. is it true that you can fiind a moving crew for cost of board and fuel? never done it
sbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 04:59   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Quoting your own Craigslist post:

"She is at the end tie of the dock. Please don't ask how much the moorage is. If you are looking at this magnificent vessel, the moorage shouldn't be a concern :-)"

Same thing applies for a crew to move this boat.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 05:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Moving a boat from San Diego to Tahiti is a significant endeavour, unlikely to attract a lot of qualified volunteer crew, out for a little adventure.
Good luck in your search.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:54   #6

In the Criag´s list pics the hull shows 3 rudders. I have not seen that before.
Anyone got an explanation ?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 09:09   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
In the Criag´s list pics the hull shows 3 rudders. I have not seen that before.
Anyone got an explanation ?
My guess is it helps when she is heeled over.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 09:10   #8

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

When are you leaving and total crew number? Do you have AIS?
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 09:23   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Not to mention that chartering involves a licensed Captain, not a skipper.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:23   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Use of the word move" is a bit ambiguous. It implies a delivery for relocation, and visiting Tahiti is not that.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:29   #11

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

On a side note, I hope somebody has better documentation on the boat systems than whoever put the CL ad together. Balmar doesn't make watermakers, for example.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 11:42   #12
Marine Service Provider

Look like trim tabs to me.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 12:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

So do you want to cruise to Tahiti, sell the boat, or charter out of San Diego? Your post is a little confusing.

I’ll take the last one first. This boat, while it looks great, is not suitable for charters out of San Diego for a variety of reasons. In US waters you would need a USCG licensed master with the appropriate tonnage rating (that is GRT not the weight of the boat). To take advantage of its 12-14 passenger capacity the boat would have be USCG “inspected” as opposed to a Six-Pack “uninspected” (OUPV) operation. I assume she was not built to the level of an “inspected” passenger vessel which would most likely cost tens of thousands of dollars. Everyone I know who has done the “inspected” upgrade has said “never again.” It is bureaucratic nit-picking to the extreme. If you want to go into the charter business and carry more than six people just buy an already inspected boat, there are plenty for sale.

Frankly her passenger accommodations are not to level of the high-end charter market. It would need private, double cabins with en-suite head facilities, air-conditioning, and other amenities. This boat might be successful as a sort of “youth hostel, adventure at sea” operation aimed the European back-packer crowd but under US flag you would still have to comply with the “inspected” passenger vessel regs.

As for the first option, sailing her to Tahiti should be easy enough if you can find a crew, but then what? One way air fare back is not cheap. Previously I was part owner of a charter boat in French Polynesia (Raiatea) which was French flagged but the last time I was down there the boat I chartered was a US flagged sailing cat so I suspect they may have changed their rules.

Unless you have thought these two alternatives out in detail, I’d say sell the boat.

Good luck, if I were thirty years younger maybe…..oh well forget that.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 16:17   #14

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

What a beautiful boat!!
The price is good but what are the shares? Is it 50% & you just need to buy out the other half or 1/4 or ????
I'd be a little concerned about how exposed the rudder/s are. Sunfish would make a mess of them in one foul swoop I think.
Just about every year the sunfish knock out competitors in the Sydney to Hobart race.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 16:30   #15

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

I'm guessing those two small outer rudders are the "2 Autopilot rudders" listed in the equipment list. I've never seen a setup like that before.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat