Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 12:48   #1

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Young(ish) sailing couple hoping to meet other young boaters

Hi all,

I posted this on my local CL this morning. Figured I may as well try it here too! We are in the Vancouver, BC area and looking to meet new people to cruise with.

Hi,

We are a couple in our early 30s who spend much of our summer (and through the winter as well, though less frequently) sailing our 32 foot sailboat. Alas, there are times out there when it would be nice to share sundowners with other people as well. We are looking to meet other young people who have their own boat and would be interested in joining us. I have many boating friends, but many are older, and as much as I love them to bits, it is sometimes hard to relate life experiences with those who are older than my parents.

Our cruising style is fairly laid back, rarely with hard and fast objectives. We like to sail, and are happy to let the winds (and unfortunately tides) dictate our destinations and schedule. Alas, we both work regular jobs, and as such are fairly restricted to weekend escapes. We prefer to anchor out, and are partial to smaller, emptier coves. We have cruised from the Gulf Islands to Desolation Sound in the past few months, and are happy to explore new places. We are fairly self-sufficient (apart from a voltage regulator charging issue which has been plaguing us of late). We have a dinghy with a small engine, two kayaks, and snorkel gear (just completed our open water certs so we can bring scuba gear if interested as well). We enjoy exploring the areas we stay at, and hike often, though due to sports injuries, long crazy intense hikes are not my thing right now.

We eat well when we are out and love to share meals. Though we are certainly not "booze cruisers" we enjoy good beer, wine & caesars. We cruise with a black lab puppy who is very friendly, but easily excitable.

Alas, the boat though comfortable for two, is just is not big enough to take guests. As such, we are not looking for people who would like to join us on our boat - we are hoping to meet others with their own boats.

We are likely heading up to Howe Sound for the long weekend, and likely to the fireworks for Wednesday evening. Maybe we can meet up and share a beer?
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 13:17   #2

Boat: Bristol 32
Re: Young(ish) sailing couple hoping to meet other young boaters

25 and 24 sailing our 32 footer as well. We are located east coast though. Headed to the Bahamas this winter
Maineiac_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:11   #3

Boat: J/37

If you ever venture down to Southern California there is a great group of young sailors and cruisers spending weekends out a catalina and it sounds like you would fit right in.

Jeff
Thank you dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:14   #4

I know a couple up on Pender Island.

Roll out to the Pender Benders?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I know a couple up on Pender Island.

Roll out to the Pender Benders?
Alas, even Pender Island island is still something like 50 nm away (IIRC) and though I try to make it down there once a year or so, it's unfortunately a long weekend sort of thing. But Pender Bender at Port Browning indeed. Thanks for replying though!
Old 30-07-2013, 15:07   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Serah! You need to find sailing buddies who are techies, irrespective of age. These "acquaintances" will discuss ideas, rather than talk about people. Topics such as travel, adventure, engineering, medicine and hobbies will be their main fare. I've traveled to over 40 countries so far and only met about a dozen couples, who were intellectually upward and challenging. "They" usually are conservative in their views (often nerdy), but can be lifelong friends; they will neither discuss an undertaken hernia operation, nor a gallbladder removal nor a 12 months long pregnancy. Good luck in your search!

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Only A Dullah! (Fries NOT included!)
Old 30-07-2013, 15:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Serah! You need to find sailing buddies who are techies, irrespective of age. These "acquaintances" will discuss ideas, rather than talk about people. Topics such as travel, adventure, engineering, medicine and hobbies will be their main fare. I've traveled to over 40 countries so far and only met about a dozen couples, who were intellectually upward and challenging. "They" usually are conservative in their views (often nerdy), but can be lifelong friends; they will neither discuss an undertaken hernia operation, nor a gallbladder removal nor a 12 months long pregnancy. Good luck in your search!

Mauritz
Knows All, Sees All...Only A Dullah! (Fries NOT included!)
Teknav - I absolutely agree, and am blessed (in the absolutely most irreligious way possible) to have many many friends of all ages who are interesting, intelligent, and some of them even have boats.

If anyone is reading this, and it tickled your fancy but didn't respond because you didn't feel you qualified as *young*, please do! Interesting conversation is what we're after and age is not the deciding factor.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25   #8

If you ever make it down any where near Houston you are welcome to join us for the same type of fun. 3 small sailors and 2 adults. Fun and adventurous family.
Tmcquaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 17:32   #9

Boat: Roughwater 33

I'm a 29 year old guy from Vancouver, alas my cruising area is the San Juan islands and for the next year, California, Mexico and Hawaii. Young cruisers are very rare, I run into the same problem as you! Keep in mind there are some really cool older people though, so if you meet some older people just stop and get to know them first to test drive :-P
csmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 18:11   #10

Boat: hunter 376

Please feel free to join us at the False Creek Yacht Club for dinner and/or drinks sometime soon, and meet a few more Vancouver sailors. We just returned from a 2 week cruise of Desolation and the Discoveries on our Hunter 31. The lounge is open Wed, Thurs, and Friday, you can tie your dinghy or your boat at the club dock, or just park your car. We expect to be busy this week, but next week may work. Just let me know.
Cheers,
David and Allison on "Morgan."
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing