Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36   #1

When to Go

I am looking for advice as to when to cross from Mexico (PV) to the Marquessas. I want to go as early as possible, but I am wary about the Hurricane/Cyclone season. From the Marquessas on to NZ and Southern Australia.

Any advice or discussion would be most helpfull.
tdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:23   #2

Boat: SJ23 1988
Good Question. I'll second that although I'm not looking to go "as early as possible".. I'm just looking for the timing aspect.

Cheers and thanks in advance for the replys from thouse with the "Knowledge".
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28   #3

Boat: L 34
Leave Mexico early Jan. Spend some time along Costa Rica/ Cocos Island till mid-March. Crossing to Marquesas approx 30days. ie mid April. You have then got from mid-April till end of Oct to get to AUS. SOOO much to see and do.! MUST visit Suwarrow. MAN are you going to have fun!!!
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34   #4

Boat: 1984 CS 36
i agree with holmek - i personally wouldn't leave until mid march at the earliest. we're leaving next year, and we'll be taking off around april 1 (ish). earlier is probably possible, but why push it?

get yourself a set of pilot charts, do a little online research and decide how close you're willing to cut it.
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38   #5

some useful links:

Atlas of Pilot Charts for the Major Oceans of the World
Category:South Pacific cyclone seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
South Pacific Weather and Climate Charts
South Pacific Weather - The Climate of the Islands
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01   #6

Boat: L 34
Just thinking, - - Always dangerous, ! Try to get Charlies charts of Polynesia, and try to find out if Mahina Cruising Services still exists for Chart packs of the Pacific. That's all I had and was quite sufficient.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:12   #7

Boat: Cape Dory
Links

Hi -
I would add Noonsite.com to your list of useful links. If you go to the "general" information page and then down to "Routing" and pacific crossings, you will find good info -- probably from Jimmy Cornell himself (who's book -- world cruising routes -- you should definitely invest in).

-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:19   #8

To Oz by Oct? Yes leave the N America W coast in Mar-May. But no reason to follow the mob to NZ or OZ. Stay in the equatorial area.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
To Oz by Oct? Yes leave the N America W coast in Mar-May. But no reason to follow the mob to NZ or OZ. Stay in the equatorial area.
where would you go for storm season? we're open to all suggestions of how to stay (safely) off the beaten path
Old 03-08-2010, 18:57   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Departure from the west coast of Panama is normally in mid-April. Figure a month to a month and a half or more if you stop in the Galapagos to get to the Marquesas/French Polynesia. Generally you need to be in the western area of Tonga/Fiji/New Caledonia by beginning of November and then head to NZ or Australia ahead of the bad weather setting in after that.
- - The alternative is to cross the equator to the islands north and wait out the southern typhoon season up there.
- - Go to the Pacific Puddle Jumpers website: Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site
and then join their Google Group to get real information from those currently doing the Pacific and those who have recently done the Pacific.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:29   #11

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. No mob down here in N.Z., just mostly, nice, friendly people. The cyclone season in this part of the Pacific tends to die of in late March or early April. We left San Diego in mid March and arrived in the Marquessas on April 7th. Left Fiji in late October to drop down to N.Z. Just be patient and wait for a good weather window. Second the motion on Suwarrow, also try to get off the main track in the Tuamotos. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 20:12   #12

Ha! Not the local NZ mob. Ya got enuf there for a mob? The mob of cruisers on the coconut milk run who seem to think they need to blast thru the S Pacific in a season, to NZ in October. Sounds like a race not a cruise.

Where to go? Well for starters I've cruised in French Polynesia in Dec-Feb and it's very pleasant. Of course there are legal restrictions, perhaps, and some storm danger. West and North of Polynesia are many-many nice places that are safe from whatever weather you wish to avoid. With no mobs, Kiwi nor Yank.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 20:40   #13

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. We've got enough sheep for a mob! From what I have observed over the years, is that after 6 months of cruising through the Pacific (one of the partners needs a break from the "camping" llifestyle) and N.Z. offers an alternative for a bit of land travel with some creature comforts, plus you get out of the cyclone zone. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote