Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 12:14   #16
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'
Re: Vancouver, BC to San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I would recomend having XM weather to show costal buoy reports or equivalent equitment.
Agree.
Old 14-09-2011, 12:16   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

passage weather.com does well for 3 - 4 days at a stretch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:18   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

JRO if the sea conditions permit, and by that I mean if the bar is not breaking really badly, Big River can provide shelter in a pinch but difficult to get into. Sufficient water for a few miles up stream, no services, watch for old pilings from logging shows from years ago. You would need to get in before any sea was running, perhaps just after daylight which would mean leaving Humboldt Bay at night. Getting out of there is tough across the bar which keeps moving around. If I were you and had decided to do the passage, I would wait in Eureka for at least a 24 hour weather window and give the points a wide berth overnight to make Bodega Bay.
Additionally, don't try to enter Grays Harbor at night without local knowledge... make sure you leave Neah Bay early enough to get there in daylight. I've been in there several times and once I aborted heading north and just stood off shore until daybreak as the approach can be be foul and confusing even with good charts. That was in the day before chart plotters, however. If fuel capacity is a problem, purchase a small bladder at Fisherman's Supply in Seattle and fill it before leaving. Make sure it is lashed down securely before venturing out past Cape Flattery.
I still like John A's suggestion of trucking her down... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:38   #19
JRO

Boat: Carver 444 CPMY 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Four trips later I managed to fill the tanks and fill the jugs.
Well... For "Peace of Mind" I'll carry an extra 50 gallons for the leg. I have the tankage for the long leg going slow, but, a speed run, for any reason, will drain the tanks in short order.
Old 14-09-2011, 12:40   #20

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We trucked our catamaran last of Oct last year north to the Columbia River and cost about $5000.00 from San Diago. We would have sailed but going north into strong head winds was not our sort of fun and we wanted to save our new-to-us catamaran for future cruses. Going south is easier I hear but expect strong north to northwest breezes and in a Carver you should expect the exaust to be blowing into the boat and cockpit some so get new batteries for your O2 monitors, it'll feel like seasickness
Old 14-09-2011, 12:54   #21

you may not need your engines running down hill--i didnt use mine much after ensenada, and only used it then as we were caught by the calm at salsipuedes, just north of ensenada. there should be plenty of wind and decent seas at this time of year.
downhill is EASY ... uphill is where the bash comes in. unless you get the headwinds that like to play with folks, no matter which direction ye head....
Old 14-09-2011, 12:56   #22

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I do highly recommend stoping by Two Harbor on Catalina Island the 14-15 of Oct for the Lattitude's and Attitudes' Crusers party. It's put on by the Port Royal Yacht club and Bob Bitchen and crew host it. The food was the greatest Prime rib and the suba guy's brought fresh lobster and after dinner there was .25% left over they were trying to give away. The band was Eric Stone with my friends Steve and wife Shelly backing him up, the danceing was great even with a little thick fog hanging in the air. Lots of folks are getting ready for the BAHA cruse.
Old 14-09-2011, 15:44   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you may not need your engines running down hill--i didnt use mine much after ensenada, and only used it then as we were caught by the calm at salsipuedes, just north of ensenada. there should be plenty of wind and decent seas at this time of year.
downhill is EASY ... uphill is where the bash comes in. unless you get the headwinds that like to play with folks, no matter which direction ye head....
Even your boat sails better then a Carver 444 power boat. HE he he. Just a little poke Zeehag.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 19:04   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I think I'd be lucky to get two knots.

Old 14-09-2011, 19:18   #25

yay charlie--- the carver just needs a mast to beat mine......
Old 14-09-2011, 21:35   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Be very careful out there... not much room for fun and playin' around. Don't mean to put a damper on the trip but it is serious business out there. A lot of planning, charting, decision making, meteorology and a bit of luck.
Play it conservatively and don't push it just to get to the next port.
Will be in Catalina in a couple of days, relaxing on a delivery cruise for a week... hoping for good weather and not too much of a head wind or head-on buck past San Clemente to Catalina... life is good south of Conception! Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco