Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 19:13   #16

I might not be able to make that raft up.

Especially, if it requires more than 2 days involved on the boats!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 20:11   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thats a shame CaptainK. I would think it would take you awhile to get to SF Bay on a Cat 27. What about combining it with your move to Stocketon?

How about trying Sausilito/Angel Island on September 23 and then see about HMB in October.

Kai when is the pumpkin festival?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 20:17   #18

Well Charlie.

We'll see what the next 3 months will tell. If things work out in a way where if my job offers in my favor. I might "not" move to Stockton.

But if not. Then around mid to late October I'll more likely will make the move out that way.

We'll see, Charlie!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 21:11   #19
Kai Nui

Pumpkin Festival is mid October. Last year it was around the tenth. Not sure of the dates this year.
Old 01-06-2006, 21:45   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
HMB Pumpkin Festival

This year's festival is in the weekend of October 14 and 15, 2006. The actual Great Pumpin Weigh-off is on Monday Oct. 9 (Columbus Day)

-Jan-
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:07   #21

Boat: Silverton Convertible 34
Re: San Francisco Bay trip to Petaluma River

Hi guys!
I've spent most of my time on the bay and never had to go through a draw bridge or a spin bridge for that matter.
What's the procedure in going through those? do i have to call ahead or is the operator there 9-5 or 24/7? Do they work on Sundays?
I'm doing this same trip on November 21st and would like to be prepared.
Thanks a lot!
sfboat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:58   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboat84 View Post
Hi guys!
I've spent most of my time on the bay and never had to go through a draw bridge or a spin bridge for that matter.
What's the procedure in going through those? do i have to call ahead or is the operator there 9-5 or 24/7? Do they work on Sundays?
I'm doing this same trip on November 21st and would like to be prepared.
Thanks a lot!
Info here: Petaluma River | Petaluma's Visitors' Center

Mind the tides and shoal areas...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 17:58   #23

newbie here need help navigating Petaluma river

Hello all,
I have been boating for almost twenty years but always in lakes in Minnesota. We recently relocated to Petaluma. We have a chapparal 24 ft cabin cruiser which is in very good condition. But I have ZERO experience boating in seawaters.

Looking for your pointers/watch outs for navigating Petaluma river and then to San Pablo bay? Our boat needs about 30 inches of draft. Is the river deep enough at low tides? I see from these threads that there is a narrow navigational channel in San Pablo bay, is that marked well?

I know I need to do things to the boat to make it seaworthy, but was hoping to boat this Sunday. We will pull boat out at the end of day and make sure it is washed and flushed properly.

Thank you for any help and education you can offer.

Regards
Sandeep
Sandeepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 18:05   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

With 30-inches of draft there should be little problem unless there is a minus tide. With four feet, we oozed through soft mud at one point. Still, best to go near high tide and space your progress to time your reserved bridge opening at D Street at the entrance of the turning basin. The river voyage is scenic, and the old downtown adjacent to the basin is interesting and filled with restaurants. (Come to think of it, the launch ramp is east of the bridge and is not a factor in transiting from there to the bay.)

The channel from the river's exit to the western end of San Pablo Bay is long and narrow. You need to pay close attention to staying in the middle so use your binoculars and radar if available to observe the channel markers. There is often a cross-current that makes things tricky.
Old 08-06-2016, 19:58   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

There are three problem areas on the petaluma river.

first is 2000 feet west of the green channel marker in the river (There is only one). Note this is a gravel bottom and not soft. (Don't ask me how I know), from mid river to the south (101) side by the side canel (see photo) is 4' at mean low water. Hold to the north side of the river which is 8' deep at MLW.

Second is at the new green railroad bridge at haystack landing. The old swing bridge was only 1/2 the width of the new bridge. As the new green span is twice as long it made the river wider. But from mid river to the south side is still un dredged and silted in. Hold to the north (marina) side of the channel there.

Third, there is a shallow spot in the middle of the turning basin that you will find at low tide.

Added bonus, The petaluma marina has a silting issue and only has 36" of water in the fairways at MLW and 4' at the river entrance at MLW. You will want to enter and leave at other then low tide.

Crossing San Pablo in the afternoon with an outgoing tide in a 24 foot boat can be exciting. I try to cross it from the petaluma river in the morning before the after noon winds come up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petriver1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	125815  
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56   #26

Thank you Mark Pierce and Sailorchic for quick response back. I appreciate your guidance.
I think we will stay in the river and not try to get out to the bay for our first time try. need to learn about tides etc.
Sandeepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeepb View Post
need to learn about tides etc.
The book "Sailing The Bay" by Kimball Livingston gives both a good general discussion of tides, and detailed specific information about the complex tides found in the SF bay area.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:58   #28
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
With 30-inches of draft there should be little problem unless there is a minus tide. With four feet, we oozed through soft mud at one point. Still, best to go near high tide and space your progress to time your reserved bridge opening at D Street at the entrance of the turning basin. The river voyage is scenic, and the old downtown adjacent to the basin is interesting and filled with restaurants. (Come to think of it, the launch ramp is east of the bridge and is not a factor in transiting from there to the bay.)

The channel from the river's exit to the western end of San Pablo Bay is long and narrow. You need to pay close attention to staying in the middle so use your binoculars and radar if available to observe the channel markers. There is often a cross-current that makes things tricky.
I have been boating many times since 2004 in the delta, San Pablo Bay, San Rafael, Angel Island etc.., I can't wait to be there again in 10 days from now. Thank you MarkPierce for your useful informations and the nice photo, good to see there is a GB 42' classic there :-).

Tags
san francisco, sf bay