Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 19:56   #1

Boat: Morgan 22
Sailing in the Philippines

My girlfriend of over 10 years is a filipina and I've finally broken down and said I'd take a trip with her to the Philippines. While we're there I'd like to see if we can do some sailing. Looking around on the net there isn't much information about boat charters in the Philippines. We'll be spending time around Boracay and maybe in Manila. Does anyone have any current information on boat charters in the Philippines? Where are some good charter companies? Are there any rules or restrictions I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Mike
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 06:36   #2

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: Sailing in the Philippines

In Borocay you can 'charter' a paraw - essentially an open plywood boat with bamboo outriggers - for around P600 for an hour. More pesos will get you a longer ride. There are a plethora of these boats there and anything is likely negotiable. There was also a Vinzenzia (sp?) catamaran for charter anchored in boat station #2 called the Mahal. Manila has a yacht club so might be worth a visit to see what is on the bulletin board, same for Subic Free Port (although I didn't see any charters there although I was not looking). There was a recent thread on chartering in the Philippines where a person with a catamaran was willing to charter and posted his contact information - forget where though.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 13:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'll second the above suggestion to hire a small banka. I've done it a few times and mostly had a good trip.

Do check the weather (the owner will be focused on the money - not any hazards) and don't plan on any night trips...

I've made a few trips on some of the larger bankas (never chartered) and they're a good fast way to travel. Not massivly expensive in the overall cost of the trip.

If your girlfriend is not a good swimmer I strongly recommend bringing a Type 2 or 3 life jacket.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 17:54   #4

Boat: Morgan 22

Thanks for the info. Both my girlfriend and I are strong swimmers. Do the boats on Boracay need advance notice you want to rent them? It sounds kind of like I could negotiate a price and rent the same day. From what I've read on the net I need to hire a local when I charter a boat. Is that true for all boats?
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 19:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Last time I hired a banca was in Puerto Galera. I'm told it was the father of the owner of the cottage where we were staying who took us. Long time since I've been to Boracay.

If your GF doesn't know anyone then you could either go down to the beach and chat to the locals or get your resort to organize it. The resort may charge more, but the boat/skipper may be more reliable. Prices seem to be only partially negotiable - no Trade Practices Act in the Philippines. I've found it's not a good idea to bargain too hard - maybe find the lowest price then agree to pay a bit more?

In theory you could go the same day but in practice things move a bit slower in the Philippines, the people you're dealing with will only have a few contacts (relatives?) and it'll take time for them to get their act into gear. Best to allow at least 24 hours.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 13:07   #6

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

My brother lives in the Philippines, and I could ask him about charters, etc. He's got a buddy that builds Catamarans near Cebu in his boatyard, possibly I could get you his contact info. PM me as a reminder, and I'll happily see what I can do.
Old 07-08-2012, 15:48   #7

Boat: Com-pac 25

check out the Puerto Galera Yacht Club website. There are links on their classifieds for charters. This would also be a good opportunities to learn from the yachties especially - what not to do. I am not a member but plan to when I retire from the US to the Philippines next year.

Here's the link: Yacht Charter Philippines Rent Boat Boracay Puerto Galera Subic

Hope this helps.

zUrchin
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 22:14   #8

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

I've just sailed my 40' cat across the pacific and thinking of going on to the Philippines.

I'm looking for a bit of local knowledge on what sort of boat repair facilities are available, eg a place for haulout and get some fibreglass work done?
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 22:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
I've just sailed my 40' cat across the pacific and thinking of going on to the Philippines.

I'm looking for a bit of local knowledge on what sort of boat repair facilities are available, eg a place for haulout and get some fibreglass work done?
Watercraft can haul to 18 feet wide. Also in Subic is a crane that is reported to do a good job if hauling out into a DIY yard. Local labor is good.

Otherwise, and probably your best choice, is to haul at Puerto Carmen near Cebu: Zekes.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 23:08   #10

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

My 42' catamaran was built by Nigel Roberts at his boatyard in Tombobo Bay at the southern tip of Negros. He does fiberglass work but your catamaran would have to be beached as there are no lifting facilities there. You can email Nigel at:
tongosailinn[at]hotmail[dot]com and discuss the work you want to have done.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 04:44   #11

Boat: CT-47
Kudat in Malaysia (Borneo) is also an option. Parts and materials usually cheaper and more accessible than in the Philippines.

The yard has a travel lift and decent hard stand facilities. KKis about 2 hours drive away and has good supplies.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 21:56   #12

Thanks for the info. Sounds like there's no boatyards in the Philippines that can lift a cat wider than 18'....have I got that right?
Old 22-02-2013, 02:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there's no boatyards in the Philippines that can lift a cat wider than 18'....have I got that right?
No. In Subic they can lift or dry dock anything. For your cat it will be a crane or a floating dry dock.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 05:33   #14

thanks daddle
Old 27-02-2013, 20:26   #15

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

In Davao, SE Mindanao, they have great facilities, a marina & they can lift anything, including ferries.
The Gulf of Davao offers in my opinion the best cruising in the Philippines.

There are also facilities near Cebu, in port Carmen.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, sailing