Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 16:45   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Re: Sailing in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cat View Post
Hi folks, just bumping the thread... How are things for bringing my boat to HAWAII? Currently on a mooring and would prefer to keep it that way. Member of the Transpac Yacht club but have not tracked information down via that mechanism. I really like the Kaneohe bay but realize not best for my needs as not easy to get into for long term.

Okay, which Island is best to sail the boat to for long term availability of a mooring scenario, even if I need to create my own if it is even possible legal wise? I was born in Hawaii and thinking of relocating back. Not real concerned on which island as they all have positives.

I have searched the net and the information seems a little conflicting. I have the mental image similar to what Bash has discussed so would I be better off just selling the boat and looking to pick up another already in Hawaii, set up either on a dock (Yuck) or a mooring scenario? Not sure I would like living there as much WITHOUT my boat, the place is just too perfect for a nice sailboat included lifestyle.

Rambling aside, which island would be recommended as the most boater friendly today?
I am interested in the responses to this as well. How do you like your 38 Catalina?
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 18:05   #17

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Like her very much. Purchased as first real boat with the vision of sailing her around the world and all... Well, after basically re-newing her everything but the hull, she is rock solid. Use as a coastal cruiser, perhaps, I am biased but really I am not sure of a better boat for fast coastal cruising. Use as a world traveler (For me) thinking more like a big cat. I would race her in the transpac if i wanted to deal with the red tape, more fun to crew for others. so, yes i like her very much.
Old 10-02-2014, 13:18   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Cat and Cowboy,

Not much has changed. There are more moorings, slips, anchorages on Oahu near and in Honolulu. Keehi Lagoon was hit and damaged pretty hard by our last large tsunami but I think some of it has been repaired.

Earlier in this thread I listed phone numbers. I think they are still current. Make a few calls and see if they can sort out any questions you may have. Fees are ever changing so call the authorities for that information and you may be surprised to know that they might be about commensurate with SoCal if you can get one.

Good luck folks.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56   #19

Thank you SJ.
Old 12-02-2014, 13:15   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Oahu remains the most likely place to find a slip or permanent mooring. The state marina in Keehi Lagoon has been largely rebuilt after the tsunami damage. A year ago, the waiting list for a 35'-40' slip was quite short, Was offered a slip in less than a year on the list but chose to stay in Kona so turned it down. The State handles the mooring field in Keehi Lagoon but don't know what the availability is. A number of boats were damaged/sunk by the Tsunami and the State has been desultorily trying to weed out the junk so there may be some availability. You can try and buy the lease on LaMarianna Sailing Club and guarantee yourself a slip in Keehi. There is another private marina in Keehi run by the boatyard, I think. Don't know anything about it. Ko'olina to the southwest end of Oahu usually has slips available but it's quite expensive, in the $20 plus a foot range. A bit of a drive to get into Honolulu proper if you are needing to find a job and can't find one in the area. Have had my name in for a 35'-40' slip in the Alawai in Waikiki for going on 4 years. Word is it will take a couple more years before our name comes up. Kaneohe has private slips available occasionally. Someone has been advertising a 45' slip recently.

The Ka'anapali Coast (Lahaina, etc) is a year around anchorage with reservations. It's an open roadstead with somewhat regular high wave conditions. Cannot leave a boat indefinitely unattended as you may have to move out or monitor anchor lines when the big waves roll in. Check with the state for requirements for long term anchoring/mooring.

The Kona Coast is also suitable for long term anchoring but it's also all open roadstead with more chance of bigger and more frequent waves. Kailua Bay is a state controlled mooring field. Not many boats out there but don't know if they'll let you put down a mooring. Have been up and down the coast recently and see many little bites that look to be inviting anchorages. These are mostly remote and very inconvenient to get to towns, etc. There are 3 or 4 boats in Puako Bay that look like they've been there awhile. It's a relatively convenient location for landing a dinghy but 20 miles from Costco and the 'Big City' of Kailua-Kona. Don't know whether they are on the hook or a mooring. Once again, check with the state for restrictions to long term anchoring/mooring. You should be able to find a slip in Honokohau Harbor on a transient basis. 3 months in any calendar year with the ability to get you through the winter with continuous rental from October through the following March. That would allow you to get the through the high wave season till the more benign anchoring conditions become a possibility. There are at least two boats here doing that almost every year and vacant slips for more.

Gentry Marina has long term storage but availability is seasonal. A few cruising boats haul out to spend the winter while they go back home and then launch in the spring to go on their way. You've got to time your arrival and departure to get one of those spaces. IIRC, the spaces aren't cheap, about $10 a foot which is more than an in the water slip though tenancy is open ended. There are boats that have been in the storage yard for decades. Officially, you can't work on your boat in the storage area or live aboard. Have heard that someone gutted the interior of their boat and rebuilt it while in the storage yard but they must have been very low key to get away with it. The Gentry Management will try and rip you off if they can. Make sure you read the lease documents and get everything in writing before the boat is hauled. Goes for a yard haul out as well. Gentry is just a haul out facility with independent contractors providing any work that you may need help with. My experience with these contractors has been excellent and they can provide almost any help you may need from bottom painting to building a boat from scratch.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 13:45   #21

Boat: Cal 2-30

Keehi Marine center (the boatyard) has put in all new slips after the tsunami. It actually looks pretty nice now. It is a heavy industry area and under the takeoff path of the airport but back when I was there was nice in a way with several liveaboards.
Keehi Marine Center
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 07:22   #22

Thanks Rover and Crash. Great detailed information for sure.
Old 13-02-2014, 11:36   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good summary by Peter O and Crash.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04   #24

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

So I want to move to Hawaii, I'm tired of winter, even though I shouldn't complain, here in Texas it only gets below freezing for a few hours. I've been sailing a few times while you folks up north are still skating on the lake or ice fishing.

Still I want to be in 70-85 degree weather 365 days a year.

Looking at prices of even a condo in Hawaii is daunting, so following Skipr John's advice, ie if you buy a boat in a marina you have to sail away for a few years until you can get a slip or haul it, buy a trailerable and sail that. I found a nice one in Maui for 12k, but then where to put it when not sailing? Even empty land goes for 100K. In a marina on the Hard could I live in the boat?

And then I'm looking at pictures of boats for Sale in Hawaii which have photos of the boat sailing in the islands. I get even more depressed and discouraged, being stuck in Texas.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I lived in Hawaii (Big Island) for 7 years. Also friends with John. There is a big difference in visiting Hawaii and living there. Texas would depress me too. But there are many places that are warmer where you won't be called a &*$# hoale and blamed for someone elses past for the last 200 years. True, the place is beautiful but culturally inept.
Probably Florida would be a nicer place as would California, if you can afford it. Sorry for the staunch truth but I have seen many try to live in Hawaii, only to return a year or two later.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32   #26

Thought I'd throw in a link about what I'm talking about
The Maui boat: 26 foot Columbia sailboat and motor in exc condition - price reduced

Old 06-03-2014, 10:03   #27

Boat: Cal 2-30

It looks like it has a trailer. There used to be a lot near Lahaina where people stored their boats and then used moorings. For a slip you will need to pay for a 30'er in the private Oahu marinas or like you said go on a wait list for 10 years at Ala Wai. Kewalo basin will now allow recreational boats but minimum size 40' for not a bad price. Ko Olina is really nice if you can afford their 30' slips.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You might want to compare prices of others...
1969 Columbia MK2 Sailboat by Bill Tripp
Columbia 26'
Columbia 26 Sailboat
1976 Columbia T 26 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Talked with a DOBOR guy at Honokohau. Anchoring anywhere in Hawaii is for 72 hours and the anchor has to be down in sand. Don't mess up the coral. Don't know how far you have to move to reset the 72 hour limit or how well they enforce it. Don't see the State's boat out very much so it may be pretty lax for remote areas but doubt you'd stay very long on the Ka'anapali coast on Maui or Kailua Bay in Kona without getting a friendly visit from DOBOR.

DOBOR guy said the Lahaina yacht club has moorings offshore. Might call them and see what the availability is for long term use.

Had a Columbia 26 that I sailed to all but the Big Island from Oahu. Boat had no directional stability, Let go of the helm for a 2nd and it would head up into the wind. Worse was a bad habit of going out of control and rounding up in gusty conditions. Beating across the channels, the boat oil canned and pounded badly and forward bulkhead tabbing broke loose in a year of weekend sailing and 4 trips across the Molokai Channel. Question the trailerability of the boat as it's got a fairly deep keel for a 26' boat. Would have to have a very steep ramp or getting the trailer a good way out for the boat to float off the trailer. Not that it hasn't been done but would probably take more than an extendable tongue on the trailer to launch.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 19:03   #30

Hawaii, California, Texas and the wife

Quote:
Probably Florida would be a nicer place as would California, if you can afford it. Sorry for the staunch truth but I have seen many try to live in Hawaii, only to return a year or two later.
I have a house in San Diego, California. I could probably talk the wife into moving back, The weather is nice. The sailing a little better. I have no land in Florida and little love for their politics out there.

My boss lives near Disney world, they had temps in the 50's, shortly after our freeze.

I'd go to Belize but the wife is afraid of crime. Hawaii or California are her two preferences if we don't stay in Texas.

Oh well