Old 26-02-2017, 06:35   #76

Very sad

Military checking reports of German beheading | Inquirer News
Old 26-02-2017, 07:11   #77

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Very sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
This sickening. My thoughts and prayers.
Old 26-02-2017, 13:35   #78

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Kidnapped sailor Jurgen Kantner

Here in germany the news don't cover Jürgen's current kidnapping at all. There was some news in November when it happened, but mostly because he was kidnapped the second time and his partner was killed. Currently nobody seems to care much so there is no news coverage.

The general consent in November was that he knew the risks, that its his own fault and that he should have learned something during his first kidnapping in Somalia back in 2008.

German government is said to have paid 600.000 USD ransom as Kantner had no money and split up with their families. Both Jürgen Kantner and his partner were returned back to Germany.

In an interview they complained that they were forcefully return to Germany, and that they hated their life in Germany. Instead of being thankful for a second chance it seems they felt mistreated by the everyone.

So half a year later they went back to Somalia to salvage their yacht "Rockall", and if I remember correctly they even bought the engine back from their kidnappers....
While in Somalia Jürgen gave another interview, and even mentioned that next time nobobdy would pay ransom for them if it ever happened again. He said that German government would tell the priates to just keep him. I guess this is what happened.

Abbu Sayaf already kidnapped two other german sailors in that area back in 2014, and also in the same area the German Wallert family was kidnapped in 2000, which made big news back then.
I am not aware of other nationals being kidnapped but I gues they don't just pick Germans so there must be more.

I feel for all people who innocently get into pirate trouble but I think that Jürgen Kantner had a completely different risk tolerance than most cruisers I know. He was either careless or looking for trouble.
Old 26-02-2017, 14:41   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post

I feel for all people who innocently get into pirate trouble but I think that Jürgen Kantner had a completely different risk tolerance than most cruisers I know. He was either careless or looking for trouble.
Good summary rabbi....Jurgen seemed to be pushing the risks in his disfavour....
Lots of psychological theories as to why kidnapping victims put themselves at risk again, but for now, here's hoping that he is still alive.
Old 26-02-2017, 16:12   #80

Boat: valiant 40

We knew Jurgen and Sabina, a day yes they lived a life without imposed boundaries. Having said that since when did it become your fault when you are murdered.
Fair winds Jurgen and Sabine we will miss your spirit of adventure.
Old 26-02-2017, 16:30   #81

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
We knew Jurgen and Sabina, a day yes they lived a life without imposed boundaries. Having said that since when did it become your fault when you are murdered.
If you repeatedly place yourself at risk then you bear some accountability.

Doesn't justify murder, but obviously they new the risks.
Old 26-02-2017, 16:33   #82

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I find it incredible that some see a way to blame the victim. Undertaking a risk is not the same a committing a heinous crime.
Old 26-02-2017, 16:34   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
n

No one deserves to be killed in situations like this. I think what others are saying is that common sense isn't very common with this particular gentlemen and using some would have kept him alive but as you say they lived life without boundaries and maybe he got far more quality than quantity.
Old 26-02-2017, 16:40   #84

Boat: Outbound 44

The Inquier News article above says they were kidnapped in Malaysia. Is this correct, or was it Philippine waters?
Old 26-02-2017, 16:48   #85
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I find it incredible that some see a way to blame the victim. Undertaking a risk is not the same a committing a heinous crime.
All this quoted post does is misrepresent what others have said about Jurgen's choices

Is buzzstar's intent to inflame and Destroy what is simply an update thread on Jurgen's situation and to reinforce that this is a very dangerous area to ever consider as a cruising destination.

Try not to find demons in the discussion
Old 26-02-2017, 16:57   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
All this quoted post does is misrepresent what others have said about Jurgen's choices

Is buzzstar's intent to inflame and Destroy what is simply an update thread on Jurgen's situation and to reinforce that this is a very dangerous area to ever consider as a cruising destination.

Try not to find demons in the discussion
You are incorrect. It is my intent to place blame where it belongs, not on the victim. By the way, "ever" is a very long time. Your ignorance about my intent cannot be helped. I have relatives in indonesia, Malaysia, and nearby locations in southeast Asia. It is my understanding he (Jurgen, whom I do not know) is dead (decapitated). If that is incorrect, I'd be very happy. If not, I refuse to remove any blame from criminals or their apologists.
Old 26-02-2017, 17:11   #87
CF Adviser

Buzzstar, Please quote one post in this thread where a CF member "apologized" for these murderous criminals and I will apologize.

As I live and cruise in the Philippines I truly hope 'ever' is a wrong choice for that specific area, but as the Philippine President is using that centuries old pirate lair as a form of extrajudicial killing of bad cops, I am not holding my breath that things will change in that area. [emoji33]

http://www.rappler.com/nation/160726...nao-assignment
Old 26-02-2017, 17:24   #88

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

When Adam dunning was killed on Guadalcanal the aussies had serious military presence on island the next day. Where is the German army now?

Certainly my adventures have put my life at risk. While I share complicity should something like this befall me I know that my friends would deliver retribution and I would hope the government delivers an airstrike. I can say that if my young one follows in my footsteps of adventure and something were to happen to her I would deliver a Hiroshima retribution.
Old 26-02-2017, 17:29   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you repeatedly place yourself at risk then you bear some accountability.

Doesn't justify murder, but obviously they new the risks.
Pelagic- Does the above count? I stopped searching after seeing it so soon, but if it does not I may retry even though my opinions remain either way.
Old 26-02-2017, 17:37   #90

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Having said that since when did it become your fault when you are murdered.
If I do some nightly sight seeing in a district with a high crime rate wearing a rolex and a shiny Iphone, the result may not be exactly my fault. But I guess most folks don't consider this a smart idea.

Anyone who purposely cruises a region with a documented history of certain risks takes full responsibility for this decision.

If a well know risk gets me, its my fault. Its a different story if some unforeseeable risk gets me completely off guard. Say if I get kidnapped while cruising Spain, or shot in Denmark, or Malaria strikes me in New York.

I wish Jürgen that he gets out there well, but he made his decisions either accepting or ignoring the risks.

He bitterly complained about how german government treated him after the 2008 Somalia rescue (e.g. not taking care of his yacht, not taking care of his housing or financial needs, they should not have paid ransom at all, etc) so no wonder Government doesn't come to the rescue this time.
Closed Thread

Tags
sail