Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 04:57   #16

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
Thanks Laidback. I am entering into this situation with a little intrepidation for sure. I am aware of the expense of HK life and that is why I have opted for a livaboard situation. My wife and I are older (51and 56) and our kids are at school. My wife was awarded a very nice scholarship from the HK government and HKCity University is providing only her accomodation. I don't think my tied old bones will adapt to Dormitory life. I could still manage to "rack out" in a cramped berth though. I personally would rather be in a less urban setting but don't really have the choice. Our plan for the future upon my wife's completion of her PhD is to take said boat to the Med.and hang out in a place I am more familiar with and an eventual return to Bequia where I have seen quite a bit of water pass under my keel. I might even look for a job pushing a varnish brush around Honkers.
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 06:35   #17

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Hi Zoombats,
Life is full of alternatives. I do think HK offers a wide range of life styles and options which would surprise most people. See my PM for more comments. I think you should follow your heart - will work out fine I am sure.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 17:50   #18

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
The idea that one can get permission to go into China's Zhuhai Special Economic Zone just north of Macao to work on a boat that was bought in Hong Kong as a project is good news.
In recent discussions with Bill Kimley of SM, he made no mention of any changes to the rules and regulations that would permit such a project. The simple difficulty of obtaining a multiple entry tourist visa to the economic zones is daunting enough, but to obtain a permit to bring one's boat into Zhuhai, then live on it while one works on it - that will require extraordinary influence with the Chinese authorities.
It certainly can be done. A good friend of mine bought what can only be described as a wreck in Hong Kong - a very old steel boat that went on the rocks in a typhoon - He had it towed up to Zhuhai, to a yard just up the river from Bill's, the paperwork was done by Bill. The boat was re-plated, the interior gutted and replaced and the hardware fixed. I visited a couple of times and don't remember anything particularly daunting about the visa. I'm pretty sure it was the normal multiple entry China tourist visa that I had anyway as I was working in Beijing quite a bit at the time.

Living and working on the boat in Zhuhai - I don't know whether that would be possible - maybe not. But why would you do that given the minimal cost of labour there?

This is the boat back in HK
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Not one of those, but there's a nice Peterson 46 going for a very reasonable price. More a TLC boat than a project
Hi bewitcted. Can you offer anymore details on this boat? Thanks, zoombats
Old 01-08-2010, 19:42   #20

Boat: Swan 56
It's been on the board at Hebe Haven YC for some time now - I don't have any details, but from the outside, it looks a nice boat.

I just put it up as an example - there's plenty more - Just do the rounds of the YC notice boards when you get here.

Another way is to get in a dingy and go round the moorings looking for something unloved and contact the owner directly. I did that a few years back and picked up a very nice deal.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 20:30   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Hi zoombats
I am not too sure about the current state of affairs in HK, but when I lived there back in 2004 there was a nice spot in South Lantau called Mui Wo (or Silvermine Bay) where there were a few moorings. I don't know about quality or where to get them. The place is nice, the town is small (ish) and it seemed well protected from 3 sides. The local pub, The Bear, was a good spot to meet for a cold one, and if you need to, HK Central is only a half hour away by fast ferry. It may even be worth looking into other villages along the coast of South Lantau. Also, I used to rent there and it was not expensive so if you needed a place on land for a while it would not be bad.

Perhaps bewitched or stillbuilding might be so kind as to tell us if this has changed in any way... as I said, haven't been around for a while.

Plenty of boats available in Phuket, some in Langkawi, few in Singapore that are along your lines but you never know.

All the best with your project.
Old 02-08-2010, 00:38   #22

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Hi Zoombat,

The boat Bewitched referred to is Hoopoe, and she's a 1982 Peterson 46 which has had a number of recent refits. The owners are asking HK $600K and she's moored at Hebe Haven Yacht Club. This boat doesn't seem to need a major refit and looks as though you could do a lot of work on the mooring (and still sail the boat).

Contact details for Hoopoe:
Jeremy at +44 7 824 824 896
jegs1a@yahoo.co.uk
jenniferroutley@yahoo.co.uk

Assuming you're looking to do a DIY refit, I think your best bet would be to join Hebe Haven Yacht Club. They have a members workyard which can do haulouts, and there is a useful workshop area with benches, power, drill presses and vices. It's also close to a number of well provisioned chandleries. Most importantly, there are a few chaps doing professional boatworks and electrical works who work out of this club. The joining fee is HK $35K for a family. I've done some pretty extensive projects here and I've got to say that it's the only way to go for the DIY enthusiast!

Lastly, the Sai Kung area offers the best sailing grounds in Hong Kong - most of the east coast is country park and there are a lot of fantastic beaches & islands.

PS - Hoopoe was a liveaboard up until about two months ago so I assume it's in pretty reasonable shape inside. The couple selling have moved back to the UK.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:04   #23

Thanks to all. I had seen the KP46 "Hoopoe" listed and it looks interesting. South Lantau looks promising as well. I tried the contact info Muskoka and it came back to me undelivered. Muskoka, sounds lke my part of the world as I reside part year in Honey Harbour. Thanks again for the input .
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I refit a 28' Taipan (think Cheoy Lee Cadet) when I lived in HK 2000-2004.

There are a group of chandleries in the Mong Kok area of Kowloon (around Reclamation road). They are technically geared toward commercial fishermen, etc., but happy (OK, grumpily, sometimes) to serve a private yachtie. You'll find a lot of stuff there - especially rigging - at 1/3 the price it would cost you anywhere else.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:36   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440
Hi Zoombats,
Per sneuman advice above there are lots of suppliers in Mongkok and other areas though not many of them carry a full range of stuff. I am unable attach the supplier list I have (one that has been circulated previously but recently updated by the original author) so will send you by separate email - you should find it useful. There are a couple of suppliers mentioned in a previous post in Saikung/Hebe Haven, also some with perhaps more extensive range: the Ship Shop at RHKYC (member and non-member prices), Kwok yee Lee Marine in Main Street, ApLeiChau and Stormforce Marine who represent a number of established manufacturers on indent basis and carry some stock.
Cheers
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong