Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 13:49   #1

Columbia River

We are considering a move back to WA (our home) and Vancouver is high on the list. Any Hunter owners out there who sail the Columbia who can share their likes/dislikes of river sailing?
Old 18-11-2013, 14:21   #2

Re: Columbia River

By the way, we have a 1982 H25 with a 3'11" draft. We had considered river sailing here in StL but there is way too much barge traffic and some fairly narrow spots along them.
Old 18-11-2013, 14:59   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
We are considering a move back to WA (our home) and Vancouver is high on the list. Any Hunter owners out there who sail the Columbia who can share their likes/dislikes of river sailing?
This may help.

Columbia River Sailing
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:17   #4

might a fun new thing, but not comparable in any way with sailing in Puget Sound, BC etc.... endless pllaces to go... just sayin'........

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:38   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

For the geographically challenged i believe the OP is talking about Vancouver, Washington which is right across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon. It is basically a suburb of Portland. He is not talking about Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, Island BC. BTW My mother lives in Vancouver, WA.
Old 18-11-2013, 15:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Everytime I think that could be a nice place to live, I check the weather........
Old 18-11-2013, 16:45   #7

[QUOTE=Sand crab;1394283]For the geographically challenged i believe the OP is talking about Vancouver, Washington which is right across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon. It is basically a suburb of Portland. He is not talking about Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, Island BC. BTW My mother lives in Vancouver, WA.[/QUOTE

I live in Vancouver, Washington and it is part of the 26th largest metropolitan area in the US.

Portland metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it rains a lot, that's why it's always green and beautiful! Years can go by without snow and we don't get tornados or hurricanes. The ocean and the coast mountain range are a two mile drive to the west and Mt. Hood and Cascade Mountain range are to the east, close enough that Mt Hood is visible from Portland Leave the populated areas and you travel back into the culture of the '50's.

Boat owners trailer their boats up to the San Juan Islands for the season.
Old 18-11-2013, 17:20   #8

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Yes it rains a lot, that's why it's always green and beautiful! Years can go by without snow and we don't get tornados or hurricanes. The ocean and the coast mountain range are a two mile drive to the west and Mt. Hood and Cascade Mountain range are to the east, close enough that Mt Hood is visible from Portland Leave the populated areas and you travel back into the culture of the '50's.

Boat owners trailer their boats up to the San Juan Islands for the season.[/QUOTE]

We are planning on sailing to Hawaii in April 15, summer their and then to Portland, my mother moved there and want to spend some time with her. The slip fees are less than half the cost than San Diego. Lived in NZ for a long time I do not mind the rain.

Can you tell me what the water temp is on the river summer and winter.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Er John I think Jack with his Stevens 47 is talking about water temps. During August they get warm enough to swim in- probably lower 70s.
PM me and I can give you some slip rates in Astoria if your interested Jack.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:17   #10

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Er John I think Jack with his Stevens 47 is talking about water temps. During August they get warm enough to swim in- probably lower 70s.
PM me and I can give you some slip rates in Astoria if your interested Jack.
Thanks Newt for making that clear. Yes the water temp is what I was wanting to know. When I was up their I asked all the marina people and could not get a answer. Looked on line and from what I could make out looked like winter temps where around 54f and summer around 62f in the river around the Portland area. Just want some local knowledge to verify.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:42   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here is some data for the Columbia from 1941! Don't laugh. I did a Google search and this popped up. It shows a low of mid 30s in January to a high of mid 70s in August at Vancouver.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1968/0551/report.pdf
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10   #12

Boat: Corsair Cruze 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Thanks Newt for making that clear. Yes the water temp is what I was wanting to know. When I was up their I asked all the marina people and could not get a answer. Looked on line and from what I could make out looked like winter temps where around 54f and summer around 62f in the river around the Portland area. Just want some local knowledge to verify.

Jack
It's warmer than 62 in Summer. Considerably warmer. No wetsuit needed. 205 bridge the the background.
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:27   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Probably the funnest part of it would be a longer trip way up into eastern oregon or I think you can get to Idaho.

The Columbia river is really weird. In spring there are a lot of currents. Some places will have 30 mph wind and then a couple miles later it's flat. I don't know why it doesn't suck it through the gorge more consistently but it doesn't.

Portland sure does seem to have a lot of inexpensive marinas and boats.

Do you have a trailer? That would be best. It's 120 miles to Olympia which would be the closest access to Puget Sound. Or you could drive to Anacortes because the south sound is much less scenic.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 10:13   #14

Yes, You can take a boat all the way to Lewiston, Idaho. Its elevation is 755 feet and on the Snake River, whose head waters are in Yellowstone Nat'l Park. I'm unsure how many locks you need to traverse to get around all the reservoirs. Currently, in the Portland area, there are sandbars all over the river as the hydroelelectrlc plants at the reservoirs scramble to save as much water as they can during this drought we're having.
Newt, lower 70's? what day was that? Summer time the norm 55-65. During the last ten days the temps have been 72 in Astoria and 24 in Portland,
Old 28-01-2014, 10:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Yes, You can take a boat all the way to Lewiston, Idaho. Its elevation is 755 feet and on the Snake River, whose head waters are in Yellowstone Nat'l Park. I'm unsure how many locks you need to traverse to get around all the reservoirs. Currently, in the Portland area, there are sandbars all over the river as the hydroelelectrlc plants at the reservoirs scramble to save as much water as they can during this drought we're having.
Newt, lower 70's? what day was that? Summer time the norm 55-65. During the last ten days the temps have been 72 in Astoria and 24 in Portland,
Hi John. When I go out sailing about August 1 or so my kids all go swimming. They say the river is in the 70s. Not very scientific I know but they won't get into a pool that is 72 or lower. I know, I've tried.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia