Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 19:48   #1

Boat: Sold our 1974 27' Ericson
Sailing in Queen Charlotte Sound - New Zealand

Hello All,

My husband and I sold our boat a couple years back so we could do some intense travelling (it worked well, since then we've been to the north and south islands of New Zealand, Antarctica and Southeast Asia next month). We've been invited to get in on a rental boat out of Picton next month for a week. I'm trying to find information on the Queen Charlotte Sound, as far as sailing info goes - but I have to admit I'm having a hard time finding much.

If anyone out there has any useful websites, it'd be much appreciated. Or, better yet, if anyone has any local knowledge, that'd be lovely too.

We're currently travelling, so ordering books is out for us.

Big thanks in advance!
Old 16-01-2014, 11:12   #2

Boat: Ganley Timerider
Send a message via Skype™ to Al Walker
Re: Sailing in Queen Charlotte Sound - New Zealand

What sort of things do you want to know? The Sounds are set up for casual yachties, marinas and moorings, decent anchorages, you can always find someplace sheltered if that's what you want.

There's a very good cruising guide - NZ Central Area - which covers The Sounds in minute detail.

The weather next month will possibly be quite warm and benign, but who knows, the weather over a lot of the country just now is pretty dire.

If you're chartering a boat, then there's every probability that it'll have all the information you might need already on board.

All in all, a very pleasant place to tootle about in a boat, and it might not be as busy in February.
Al Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 13:35   #3

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Sailing in Queen Charlotte Sound - New Zealand

The Sounds are never busy compared to many other places! You'll have a great time. I've spent a lot of time cruising in the Sounds, what would you like to know? Are you based in NZ? I could lend you a cruising guide if you like, or you can probably get one from your charter company. The central area cruising guide is, as mentioned, very comprehensive.
Dont miss Furneaux Lodge, Endevour inlet, Lochmara, Cockle Cove, ships cove and the Cook memorial etc There are heaps of places - the sounds covers 500 sq miles. Not possible to see it all in the time you have. The anchorages are sheltered (if you pic the right ones for the conditions - use the guide). The Charter companies have moorings throughout the Sounds, they are secure and well maintained.
Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.
Cheers

Tags
New Zealand, sail, sailing