Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 22:30   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Christchurch, NZ Hit with a Major Earthquake

Various reports ranging between 6.4 and 7.5. So far 65 confirmed deaths, and a lot of damage. Happened early this evening our time.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 22:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Christchurch NZ hit with a major earthquake...

NZ Herald: New Zealand's Latest News, Business, Sport, Weather, Travel, Technology, Entertainment, Politics, Finance, Health, Environment and Science
Breaking & Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ (some TV streaming online, not all available outside NZ)
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 23:17   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Definitely bad, have friends who were hurt, others we can't make contact with .

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 23:54   #4

Boat: Stevens 47

Yeah this is bad.....really bad....NZ is a very small country and when something like this happens we all feel it deeply....please keep the people of Christchurch in your thoughts and prayers because God knows they need it right now.....
Old 22-02-2011, 06:01   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Lets hope all our cruising folks are safe in that area.

Looks like a biq quake. 7.1 magnitude. Mind you, NZ is a highly active volcanic area....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 08:10   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Christchurch, NZ Hit with a Major Earthquake

This is very distressing news, but not entirely unexpected given the locale...a bit like San Francisco.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 11:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Christchurch earthquake:
Information about what's been damaged in the aftermath of the magnitude 6.3 earthquake on February 22nd, 2011 and where people can get help.

Map of the destruction ➥
Christchurch earthquake: Map of the destruction - Google Maps

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:13   #8

Boat: No boat, looking again.

This quake seems to have caused more structural damage than the last big one back in September, I think it was. I have family there and they are safe though almost frightened to death at the time. It is an absolute horror for the people in the area. Very gut wrenching. They used to live in Innisfail but when they moved to NZ they were glad to get away from the cyclones.

I also heard a rumour that the port was flattened but have not real facts on this. I guess unless something fell on a moored boat, the boats should not have been damaged by the quake. Don't think there was any wave surge from the quake.

My thought and prayers to all those in Christchurch.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:27   #9

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Yes, the country generally lies along fault lines, being at the intersection of 2 tectonic plates, however, not all of the country is volcanic or prone to earthquakes on a regular basis.

The canterbury region (of which Christchurch is the capital) is essentially flat alluvial plains derived from the erosion of material from the southern alps, which were upthrust by tectonic collision. There is a history of earthquake activity in and around the southern alps and many known faults there, however, until September last year Christchurch had no history of major earthquake activity at all. All of a sudden the ground won't stop shaking.

This latest quake wasn't as powerful as the big one in September, but was shallower and therefore had a greater effect. It also occured just before 1pm local time so lots of people out and about and in multistorey buildings. Result = carnage.

Official death toll at this stage is 55 with at least 20 more bodies waiting to be identified and around 300 people missing.
Old 22-02-2011, 16:02   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I just read from an old friend that the death toll is estimated to end up around 300 people or so. That's harsh for a smallish city.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 16:32   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

For once being on a boat in a disaster is a benefit. One guy interviewed overnight explained his house was now too unsafe to live in, so he has moved onto his mates yacht.

Very sad for our Kiwi mates. I know that we (aus) have sent 150 rescue workers and more are on the way from various pacific rim countries. With 300 still missing lets hope for a few miracles.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 09:19   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Hi All

Is as you all expect and not so nice here. Really DO NOT like being on top of a high hill in these circumstances lol. Best choice available to us at the moment.

If any one is interested a quick update from perspective of one living in the port.

Yes, no surge boats all seem ok from a distance. (Ours is 5 hours drive away in a safer marina) Would rather be there right now but not prepared to leave folks and husband has to work)

Yay we now have power....Booo we have lost running water and are conserving water like crazy

Managed to take verl long drive into town yesterday, took 5 hours to find some food, check on elderly relatives and dig out there access way and look for petrol. No luck on last one but hey thats ok. We can walk accross hill behind us if we get trapped in port. Bit of a climb and a few landslips but in a worst case scenario no prob.

Eating some very strange combinations of food!!!!!!

Parents are staying in our two room basement flat with as as their house too dangerous.

Roll on leaving date which is 9 weeks away. Hard to imagine today how we are going to complete tasks required to make that happen....BUT we will.

BEst news for us is all we know are safe and alive. So so so terribly horrifying the loss to all the folks who are missing loved ones.

Thanks for listening guys..cruiser forum is an antidote to continuous aftershocks and sleep deprivation

Regards CLare
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thanks ellan vannin for the up date,keep them coming,lots of buds over there, a few on the ground now www.shelterbox.org helping out,thoughts and prayers.
best atoll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 10:55   #14

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch today. I love that city and it's friendly people and I have many friends there. It was shocking looking at photos of the destruction. The fallen spire of the cathedral seemed to sum up the feelings of disbelief that I had when I first started looking at the photos earlier today.
IceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

This is just a wee glimpse of some of the minor damage we have here at our house. The house is very sound. Of course everything inside was trashed and strewn across every available space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_0124milford0011.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	24128   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_0124milford0009.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	24129  

EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote