Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 19:30   #16

Boat: Holland 10.5 metre "Xaviera"
Hi Steve Pope

We and 6 other cruisers are leaving from Napier and travelling to Great Barrier in a couple of weeks. Any helpful hints about the area would be greatly received - not been in the region before and it's my first cruise. Thanks.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 20:21   #17

Boat: Trismus 37
Eastern side of vthe Barrier is good for day visits weather permitting, Western side has 3 good harbours starting from Tryphena open to the west/southwest through northwest, has a good shop and bottle store, water available, Fuel??. All goods are expensive owing to the remote nature of the Island but most things can be found. Whangaparapara is the next heading north a deep cove with reasonable protection just inside on the port hand, water, fuel, available, anchorage and wharf at the head of the cove, exposed to the west/southwest otherwise good. There are several walks that start from here, one takes you to some hot pools and also over to Fitzroy harbour. This is the pick of them all as there is a bay or cove for every situation, Rarohara Bay, Shop and wharf at Port Fitzroy, goods and prices the same as Tryphena, Smokehouse bay has facilities built by Yachties for yachties, hot water bath house (wood burning stove heats the water, washing facilities, clothes lines, tubs, ringers, A large Fish smoker, Eco toilet (mind the spiders) you can get water here at the piles, can take 2metres draft at the top of the tide, (check first as I only draw 1M with the boards up) The history of this site is explained on a notice board as it was wiped out by a slip approx 5 years ago and has been rebuilt. There is a web address for donations etc. We spent New years eve at Fitzroy, the place was pretty full, now you would probably have it mostly to yourselves as the Jaffas have all returned to their counting houses. There is another good walk up to a Kauri log dam that is in remarkably good condition for its age, It starts from Kaiarara bay, good shoes/boots recommended some steep sections, well marked track. Doc has a heavy presence on the Barrier , mostly good.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 21:08   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Well, I don't like the Bay of Islands because the last time I was there (see photo below) the wind wouldn't blow, the ship wouldn't go, so we all had to row.

The rowing was easy as we were trying to get away from the scary lookin bloke up the front!

Thats me.... oh stuff it, thats me there somewhere....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bayofislands.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	2609  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 21:26   #19

Thank you Steve - printing out your reply. Thinking of getting our fuel and food supplies from either Whitianga or Tauranga but def not Barrier. Is Whitianga expensive?
Old 05-02-2008, 21:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Still, I would love to see this "wave attenuator". IT sounds interesting. I wonder how that works.
Maybe it works like the one at Chaffers ie not very well at all .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 23:45   #21

Boat: Trismus 37
Whitianga is an interesting place, if you call up the harbourmaster when an hour or two out he may allocate you a mooring if ones available. Tauranga would be the cheapest for supplies and fuel. Have a good look at the Mercs on the way through several nice spots. apart from the Fay Richwhite mansions.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08   #22

Tauranga for supplies then. I knew Whitianga was tidal and a tad difficult to moor space wise... any other suggestions? And thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 07-02-2008, 18:23   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Thinking of getting our fuel and food supplies from either Whitianga or Tauranga but def not Barrier. Is Whitianga expensive?
Hi Elizabeth,

We were at the Mercs early in the New Year and did a day trip into Whitianga for fuel and supplies etc. Fuel and Water are easily accessable at the fuel pontoon just inside the marina gates on the right.

We had earlier called up the marina people and managed to obtain a marina berth at the grand price of $10 for 2 hours. We booked four hours as we were meeting some local people for lunch. It might sound expensive but it was sure worth it. It was also peak season so maybe it wont be quite so dear now. Anyhow, we got rid of all our rubbish in their jumbo bin and water was also available on the berth if you had your own hose.

There is a well stocked New World Supermarket two blocks back from the marina in easy walking distance and a grog shop at the pub by the marina.

It is very tidal out in the river and I would not like to anchor out there and leave the boat. When passing through the marina gates consider the tide flow and make a good allowance. One of the locals told us that a few people have been caught out and ended up on the break water. Simple enough so don't let that put you off.

We loved it in the township and would have liked to have spent a bit more time there checking out all of the shops as it was no longer quite the sleepy little town we remembered from our last visit 10 years ago.

Haven't been to the Barrier for a few years now but are hoping to head out there next week (weather permitting). We have, on several occassions stayed out on the eastern side and out at The Cove on Arid Island but you need to have very settled west or sou'westerlies to do this, which just does not seem to be happening with this unusual season of prevailing easterlies. The shops at Fitzroy and Tryphena are good for emergency top ups though as Steve said, they DO know how to charge.

Enjoy your trip. The Barrier is certainly a lovely place.

Cheers
Lisa
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 22:21   #24

Many thanks for your reply Lisa..

Like Steves I will be printing it out to take with me on our trip.

Getting excited now with only 2 weeks till we leave - hope the weather goes our way. Just need to figure out what food to take - I'm thinking snacky things might be the way to go (although Mr meat and potatoes has different ideas!)

Thanks again
Elizabeth

Tags
New Zealand