Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 14:06   #31

Boat: Cal 2-46
140 Miles across the Sea of Cortes and a bit south. Fired the engine up to anchor though.

I respect Lin and Larry but I have heard that they often radio their presence by VHF out side of an anchorage (if required) and there is always someone eager to tow them in.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 19:28   #32

Boat: CS 36t
My own longest is probably on the order of 200 miles in coastal sailing, I would have to look it up to get an exact number.

You can pretty much go indefinitely without motoring if you accept some compromises. For hundreds of years, cargo was moved that way and plenty of people still sail that way including distance racers and people like the Pardeys. What all of these people have in common is great patience. They are willing to wait for a fair wind and a fair tide and use the anchor if these are not fair. They also do not negotiate many of the places that we do now like crowded marinas, small rivers, bridges, etc. The other thing that they all have in common is a boat outfitted for enduring storm conditions.

In my opinion, a wise sailor could cruise quite safely without an engine provided they have a seaworthy boat, good storm sails, and a very good anchor. This would be slightly limiting in destination and very limiting in terms of keeping any form of a schedule.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I have had it with my "gas" outboard. It's pretty new, pretty unreliable, pretty loud and idles too fast(even after 3 tune-ups).

SO, I am seriously thinking of going electric.

Of course EVERYONE is trying to talk me out of it because of lack of power and lack of distance capability(on the motor).

NOW . . . unless I missed something, these ARE SAILBOATS, right?

I mean, these boats should generally be sailed . . . not powered.

ANYWAY, with this thought in mind, I wonder how long(time) or far some of the members have sailed without ever turning on their auxillary power?

I know Lin and Larry Pardey sailed without a motor, but they're rather extraordinary.
St Martin FWI to Salcombe UK.... 47 days.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43   #34

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Hey Bruce, give us a picture!
well there's a picture or two of the yacht on my blog, madenz.blogspot.com but if you want a picture of the deckie, she got a promotion and a transfer to the other side of the country today and wont be available for deckie duties until i sail back around to that coast. (dry season after next, dammit) back solo sailing again but with a motor this time and insurance....
bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 22:47   #35

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I just motored for 14 hours straight! Does that count?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 23:58   #36

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Offshore, patient crew and a good boat can sail as far as wind, water & food will take them. Look at the early ('Corinthian') solo RTW races.

Looking at the thread the big question seems to be how far you might have to motor closer to land, up rivers, or in dangerous winds and currents. Comments on need for sufficient auxillary generation capacity seem 'on the money'. Don't like engines, but I do prefer a good diesel.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 10:58   #37

Boat: Custom Built Junk Rigged Dory Schooner Benford Badger, 34' Easy Go
Send a message via Skype™ to EasyGoSailing
Sailing Easy Go Engineless

We have been sailing Easy Go with no motor for a number of years. Most recent cruise took us from Nova Scotia to the Azores, Gibralter, Morocco, Canary Islands, Cape Verde Islands, Caribbean and back to Nova Scotia. Longest passage was 37 days, 3000+ NM, from Jamaica via the Yucatan Channel and following the Gulf Stream.

Using a Yuloh (chinese sculling oar) provides all the propulsion we need for getting in and out of harbours, rivers or anchorages. We've never been becalmed for very long at sea. We also use kedge anchors for moving about in tight conditions where we might come up against other boats. A kedge on the stern also gives a "brake" for stopping.

Sailing more gives greater sailing skill and then allows one to sail more. With increasing fuel costs the time is right to sail all the time. We find it very rewarding to live slowly.
EasyGoSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 12:45   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Problem with rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvToSail View Post
140 Miles across the Sea of Cortes and a bit south. Fired the engine up to anchor though.

I respect Lin and Larry but I have heard that they often radio their presence by VHF out side of an anchorage (if required) and there is always someone eager to tow them in.

I wonder where you heard this strange bit of information. I usually wouldn't comment but do think this thread is an important one as sailing into and out of anchorages is lots of fun. More important it could hone your skills and add to your ultimate security. But for your info - we did not even carry a VHF or any radio communications for more than 30 years of our voyaging life. As for accepting or asking for tows - this is not part of our game plan. We were forced to transit the Suez Canal under tow (could have sailed as there was a fresh wind from astern the whole way through). Otherwise, we have used our own power (sails, oar, kedging, warping and for two seasons in the Pacific Northwest, assisted by a 2 hp outboard on the dinghy) only in exceptional circumnstances- once when I had a 7 month pregnant sister who needed to reach a doctor - I accepted a tow through the narrows at Active Pass in the Canadian Gulf Islands (Larry was away at the time - with him on board we probably could have come up with an alternate plan.) The another time was when I was injured off the coast of Australia and the wind died just as we wanted to enter Moololaba- strange and wondrous story I should tell one day, the boat that was assisting us capsized in the unexpected breakers at the entrance to the breakwater and only by luck did we both get through the entrance where the tow boats engine failed and Larry sailed Taleisin the rest of the way. That really reinforced our concern about letting someone else be in control of our boat.

Secret to enjoying engine free sailing, a boat that sails very well and maneuvers very well in light winds, patience, a sense of humor and no schedules.

Lin Pardey
www.landlpardey.com
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 12:55   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
Secret to enjoying engine free sailing, a boat that sails very well and maneuvers very well in light winds, patience, a sense of humor and no schedules.
I'm pleased to here that these waters can be sailed without motor assist (gulf islands). You must have been very patient and planned well, given the currents and flukey winds that occur. As a tyro I think I'll keep my engine in good shape for a while yet although that hold would be good for storage :-)
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 13:33   #40

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
Sailed every inch from Ecuador to Fatu hiva. 19 days 21 hours......
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 16:00   #41

Boat: CS 36t
Quote:
I wonder where you heard this strange bit of information. I usually wouldn't comment but do think this thread is an important one as sailing into and out of anchorages is lots of fun. More important it could hone your skills and add to your ultimate security. But for your info - we did not even carry a VHF or any radio communications for more than 30 years of our voyaging life. As for accepting or asking for tows - this is not part of our game plan. We were forced to transit the Suez Canal under tow (could have sailed as there was a fresh wind from astern the whole way through). Otherwise, we have used our own power (sails, oar, kedging, warping and for two seasons in the Pacific Northwest, assisted by a 2 hp outboard on the dinghy) only in exceptional circumnstances- once when I had a 7 month pregnant sister who needed to reach a doctor - I accepted a tow through the narrows at Active Pass in the Canadian Gulf Islands (Larry was away at the time - with him on board we probably could have come up with an alternate plan.) The another time was when I was injured off the coast of Australia and the wind died just as we wanted to enter Moololaba- strange and wondrous story I should tell one day, the boat that was assisting us capsized in the unexpected breakers at the entrance to the breakwater and only by luck did we both get through the entrance where the tow boats engine failed and Larry sailed Taleisin the rest of the way. That really reinforced our concern about letting someone else be in control of our boat.

Lin Pardey
www.landlpardey.com
I really admire your dedication to doing things the way you do. I have always found it funny how in Maine, the windjammers sail into all of the harbors while the much smaller and more maneuverable cruising boats motor in. If only I could figure out a way to support myself while sailing so that I didn't have time schedules.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 21:17   #42
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
About that motor. I'd consider a newer four stroke. I had a yam hi thrust 9.9 on my first boat and loved it. It sipped gas started instantly and charged at 12 amps. Only regular snafu was having to blow out tiny idle passages once in a while.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:54   #43

Boat: Cal 2-46
Quote:
I wonder where you heard this strange bit of information. I usually wouldn't comment but do think this thread is an important one as sailing into and out of anchorages is lots of fun.
www.landlpardey.com
Hi Lin

Like I said I really respect you guys (lin and Larry) and have learned a great deal from your books and DVDs...thank you for your work and attitude.

I absolutely agree with you about the fun (and skills that are developed by sailing in and out w/o motor)...I feel inspired to do more. Thank you to Lin and Larry and all those who have made the effort to do more sailing and avoid motors!

I will ask my friend about the story of the tow ...it was in Mexico many years ago. Maybe it was someone else who called out that you were near the anchorage in calm winds and some boats rushed out to meet you (probably excited to share some stories with you) sorry for spreading false rumors!

Their point of view and experience came from their years cruising, sometimes with friends who didn't have a motor... They just thought that there were times where the motor got them to anchorage to relax and have dinner and walk the beach instead of wait it out... to each their own I guess.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 22:39   #44

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard Lin And Larry

I have a confession to make in that I was one those who bought into the apparent rumors of you all asking for tows all the time...Glad to hear it isn't so....My respect level just went up 10 notches...please except my apologies for things I might have said in the past regarding your self sufficiency.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 00:43   #45

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
without engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I have had it with my "gas" outboard. It's pretty new, pretty unreliable, pretty loud and idles too fast(even after 3 tune-ups).

SO, I am seriously thinking of going electric.

Of course EVERYONE is trying to talk me out of it because of lack of power and lack of distance capability(on the motor).

NOW . . . unless I missed something, these ARE SAILBOATS, right?

I mean, these boats should generally be sailed . . . not powered.

ANYWAY, with this thought in mind, I wonder how long(time) or far some of the members have sailed without ever turning on their auxillary power?

I know Lin and Larry Pardey sailed without a motor, but they're rather extraordinary.
33,400nms 33 years ago in a Sirus 23 no motor at all no problems and great fun.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote