Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 14:30   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Yesterday's Reefing Problem-Help

Using a reef hook at the tack and the outhaul at the clew, I could not get the sail reefed correctly. The angle of the outhaul line let the reefed clew float above the boom about 10 inches, causing the sail to be too full. I couldn't get the sail trimmed worth a damn. Should I be using some kind of a strap to hold the clew down to the boom and then the outhaul just to keep tension on the foot? Any suggestions?
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:45   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Yesterday's Reefing Problem-Help

use a boom mounted reef hook on the goose neck, check to see if a sail slug was trapped above the sail feed slot. some have a stop slug that needs to be removed to lower the sail when reefing. my rig has this problem, boom is to low and can't raise it further...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You should have a cheek block on the side of the boom for the clew reefing line. It should be mounted slightly aft of the reefing point when it's pulled and taut. The clew reefing line should either be tied around the boom or to a padeye opposite the cheek block, up through the reef cringle, back down to the cheek block, and then forward to a cleat at the forward end of the boom. If you can't pull the clew in properly by hand, install a small winch on the boom. With a 26' boat, would assume you wouldn't need a winch, however.

The outhaul isn't supposed to be used for reefing. It only gives a pull towards the end of the boom but does not pull the clew down to the boom.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 15:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956
Using a reef hook at the tack and the outhaul at the clew, I could not get the sail reefed correctly. The angle of the outhaul line let the reefed clew float above the boom about 10 inches, causing the sail to be too full. I couldn't get the sail trimmed worth a damn. Should I be using some kind of a strap to hold the clew down to the boom and then the outhaul just to keep tension on the foot? Any suggestions?
The clew and outhaul on your boat should not be involved in a reefed sail. Your should be using a reefing cringle mounted up in the sail leech or am I misreading your description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1630478719.png
Views:	204
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	36078  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:09   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport

Will post pictures of my reefing system tomorrow. Ron
Old 16-01-2012, 17:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like you need to raise the boom slightly,let off the main sheet and kicking strap.pull up on the topping lift if nessacary.

reefing line on the leech should be tight around the boom.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 06:21   #7

Thanks for the replies. I used the wrong terminology. I switched the outhaul line from the clew to the reefing cringle. But I did not have a way to snug the reefing cringle down to the boom. I'll have to add some hardware I think.
Old 17-01-2012, 06:59   #8

One does not need any extra hardware like cheek blocks. What you might do is run the reef outhaul lines thru the reefing cringles then straight down to the boom. Tie around the boom loosely with bowline loops or perhaps something more secure if the lines are slippery. When reefed the cringles will be pulled both aft and firmly down to the boom. Rig these lines at the dock.

Cheek blocks are unnecessary, often too weak, and are annoyed by the line leading out, under, and around the reefed part of the sail that is bunched up on the boom.

As mentioned above the boom vang and sheet may need to be eased to allow the boom to rise a bit as often the sails are cut to keep the reefed boom out of the seas in heavy weather. Or other reasons.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:10   #9

you need to watch this video ... it explains your problem

jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:27   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I used the wrong terminology. I switched the outhaul line from the clew to the reefing cringle. But I did not have a way to snug the reefing cringle down to the boom. I'll have to add some hardware I think.
OK, that explains it.

Don't do that!

1) Head into irons.
2) Drop main (which will be flogging annoyingly) slightly PAST the first reef.
3) Cleat off main halyard.
4) Ease off outhaul.
5) Put first reef cringle over tack hook.
6) Tighten clew first reef cringle either with lashing or (preferred) with pre-set reef line going to cheek block and cleat of some fashion at boom.
7) When reefed in, raise halyard. You generally want a flatter sail, so make it taut.
8) Take in the outhaul, taking care not to strain the aft reefing line.
9) Tidy up by lashing reef points if applicable.
10) Fall off and continue under reduced sail.

There are some variations, but this gives you the basics. If you have a leech line, this may need attention as well, for instance, and you will want to adjust mainsheet and traveller, likely.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:32   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
you need to watch this video ... it explains your problem

Yes, that's a reasonable approach, and the "safety line" forward of the clew reef is a good idea.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:53   #12

The video helps. I was almost there...now I know what to do. Thanks peeps!
Old 17-01-2012, 11:24   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The video is done on a boom with internal clew reefing lines. The clew line runs from the boom up to the clew cringle and then to a sheave at the boom end and forward inside the boom. Assume you don't have that so you'll need to work another way to get the aft and down force required. The usual way is with a cheek block on the side of the boom and a padeye on the other side. Pull the clew reefing point aft possibly with the outhaul so the now reefed foot of the sail is taut but don't stretch it unnecessarily. Place the cheek block on the boom several inches, say six", aft of where the clew cringle meets the boom. Put a padeye on the other side of the boom or just tie a bowline for the end of the clew reefing line.

You could probably imitate the internal reefing set up by using a block attached somehow to the aft end of the boom and do away with cheek block. The clew line would run along the outside of the boom as it runs forward to a cleat instead of inside would be the only difference. You will need a cleat forward on the boom to secure the clew reefing line, in any case.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:22   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
The video is done on a boom with internal clew reefing lines. The clew line runs from the boom up to the clew cringle and then to a sheave at the boom end and forward inside the boom. Assume you don't have that so you'll need to work another way to get the aft and down force required. The usual way is with a cheek block on the side of the boom and a padeye on the other side. Pull the clew reefing point aft possibly with the outhaul so the now reefed foot of the sail is taut but don't stretch it unnecessarily. Place the cheek block on the boom several inches, say six", aft of where the clew cringle meets the boom. Put a padeye on the other side of the boom or just tie a bowline for the end of the clew reefing line.

You could probably imitate the internal reefing set up by using a block attached somehow to the aft end of the boom and do away with cheek block. The clew line would run along the outside of the boom as it runs forward to a cleat instead of inside would be the only difference. You will need a cleat forward on the boom to secure the clew reefing line, in any case.
My boat is set up pretty much like the video except I have a ring on the boom for permanent attachment of the reef line, the line goes vertically up and slightly forward through the cringle and then down and aft to the sheeve at the end of the boom. My reef lines ultimately run back to the piano.

I think on a small boat like yours and mine the cheeck blocks, while nice, are not essential unless your reefs tie off on the boom.

Also, you must release the vang and mainsheet to set the reef at the leech. As the video says you want a very flat sail and the reef line when rigged like the video will achieve that.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 02:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
1) Head into irons.
Negative, ease the main a small amount. sail on the headsail. NOT flogging.

Quote:
2) Drop main (which will be flogging annoyingly) slightly PAST the first reef.
Yes, it may flog a bit at this point.

Quote:
3) Cleat off main halyard.
4) Ease off outhaul.
Negative. Do this after re-hoisting the main.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote