Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 11:37   #1

Writer needs info

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for awhile. I don't sail, although I hope to learn some day.

I'm working on a story that includes a very experienced sailor. In my story he will be sailing from the north eastern US seaboard to the Caribbean in the late fall

(He's fleeing either the Boston area or somewhere on the Chesapeake Bay in a roaring fit of escapist pique, but that's probably not relevant to any info you might be able to share ;-) )

I don't know much of anything about trade winds or if this is even possible, but I'm going to assume it's possible, even if ill advised.

If anyone is willing, I'd like to know what kind of weather and seas he might run into. I suspect conditions can vary, but anything you can share would be useful.

Thank you all. I love reading the forums, honestly, and I've learned a huge amount.

Cheers,
kc
kz1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:03   #2

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Re: Writer needs info

Might help if you provide a time frame that your experienced sailor is making his run and type of vessel he is escaping in. Different boats handle differently in different weather conditions.

I have been doing something akin to this, only based intEgypt's Eastern Desert. Wrote a book about the Roman Empire's exploitation of mineral resources the Eastern Desert between 23 A.D. until the early 7th century A.D. with the intent to update previous archaeological efforts, giving credit where credit is due. Nearly 4 years living in the desert here and learning the sites. Wasn't able to publish because 14 out of 18 archaeologists refused to let me reference their previous work as I have no proper archaeological pedigree.

So, and I know that this is off topic (And I am apologizing in advance) I turned lemons into lemonade....nearly finished with a fictional story about a Roman soldier that served in the region for about 30-years which include descriptions of all these Roman sites that many don't know about and tshe only information about them is hidden away in college archives or some Arky's computer.
Old 27-08-2016, 12:06   #3

Boat: Boatless

As someone who used to teach at Harvard Med School and has subsequently sailed 50,000 miles including 4 trips to the Caribbean from the East Coast I might fit the bill...Give me your e-mail and I will happily help you.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 03:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kc.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote