Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 10:00   #1
h20

Winter Sailing conditions Yucatan to Guatamala

Thank you so mucho for your help.
Anybody kwow how bad we are going to get crap beat out of us?
Made the Cuba crossing in the summer but huracanes seem to be slowing,
so want to head down south but people are talking about bad north winds.
When crossed the Yucatán cannel we headed towards guatamala and came up with the current. Any ideas would be a big help! Or wait till march? Really would like to go now! And with a couple to go with! Aloha, Dan and Alis on the Risky Lady. Progreso Mexico (by the way a great place!)
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 22:16   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: winter Sailing conditions Yucatan to Guatamala

what are you using for weather - I will have to check but I think we were in Mexico after hurricane season and headed south all the way to Panama -
We watched the weather and talked to Chris Parker and timed our sails with the weather

You need to be able to look at both the long term and short term forecast and potential ports of call and do your traveling when you have the windows to go -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22   #3

Boat: Cornado 25

Here is a link to the US Pilot Charts for the North Atlantic including the Gulf of Mexico

Pilot Charts depict averages in prevailing winds and currents, air and sea temperatures, wave heights, ice limits, visibility, barometric pressure, and weather conditions at different times of the year.

The Atlas of Pilot Charts set is comprised of five volumes, each covering a specific geographic region. Each volume is an atlas of twelve pilot charts, each depicting the observed conditions for a particular month of any given year.

The charts are intended to aid the navigator in selecting the fastest and safest routes with regards to the expected weather and ocean conditions. The charts are not intended to be used for navigation.

Good free planning tool...
Old 12-11-2016, 04:46   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The W Carib from Mexico down to Guate/Honduras gets cold fronts from Dec into March. Some can be quite strong, but in between the weather is fine. So, all you need to do in order to not get your butt kicked is track the fronts. NOAA surface analysis/forecast charts are one of the best options for this. GRIBs are not useful for this since they dont show fronts.

See http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/fax/gulf.shtml#TROPSFC

I suggest working under the assumption that any front could kick your butt, regardless of related forecast, because sometimes even the weaker fronts can stir up strong localized weather.

Localized squalls can of course still happen in winter months, even without a frontal passage, but are much less likely than in summer months.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:42   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

[Hi folks,

I assume that you are going to Rio Dulce. I delivered a sailboat from Belisle to Rio Dulce a few years ago.
Regarding the weather, theoretically this area is now off the hurricane season. One member suggested getting pilot charts which is a good idea. There are 12 charts for each region of the world, one for each month. This will only give you a trend. As another member suggested the NOAA charts are much more local, precise and timely. I am used to get charts twice per day to get an idea of the weather conditions evolution and predict what is coming.
You have to know that when you will look at the coastal charts, as you sail south you can get hide behind a coral bar for many nautical miles if bad weather hits. You actually can navigate and sail behind that bar. We did just that. It was like sliding on a rail at 8 knots with classical music blasting!!
To do this, it would be ideal having a forward scanning sonar to make sure that you do not go aground. What is the draft of your boat?
I you need a mate, I can drive down to meet you in Progresso since I am currently based in Cancun. I am not doing this for the experience and for free though. If you check my nautical resume, you will see that I had all the experience I needed in my many years of water sailing">blue water sailing.
Godspeed,
Captain Denis
dextraze arrobas y.....c..
Captain Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:32   #6

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Are you familiar with the Rio Dulce Chisme? If you are headed yo the Rio it's a great resource...just FYI

Here is a link:
riodulcechisme.com - Home
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 17:20   #7

Over the years, Ive written down my notes on the W Carib. These are intended to give a broad overview of cruising the region and be used in conjunction with more detailed cruising guides for specific areas. They are still in incomplete draft state, but contain information that might be useful to you.

Im also interested in feedback on these notes, so any of you please feel free to send me your comments.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1fj6b8xax...11-12.pdf?dl=0
Old 14-11-2016, 00:02   #8
h20

isla mujeres, room? Yucantan to Guatamala this time of year

hear north winds pick up 20knt plus every 10 days or so, wanted to hop down to Guatemala, any surprises? Don't mind 25knts cuase love to reef but never went 25 against the current. Was a breeze Cuba to Cancun, sailed south for a day and used current coming up, but this time will be straight into it. Thinking a way or where is the cut on the Belize reef and go inside? Thanks for all who have done it. Progreso is our wonderful hurricane hole for now! kinda dirty but gota get to isla mujeres. Which reminds me if there will be any room to anchor this time of year. Guess could be on the out side but that's a long dink ride in! thanks Dan Root Risky Lady from Boot Key
Old 14-11-2016, 00:04   #9
h20

Help!! isla mujeres to Guatamala this time of year!

hear north winds pick up 20knt plus every 10 days or so, wanted to hop down to Guatemala, any surprises? Don't mind 25knts cuase love to reef but never went 25 against the current. Was a breeze Cuba to Cancun, sailed south for a day and used current coming up, but this time will be straight into it. Thinking a way or where is the cut on the Belize reef and go inside? Thanks for all who have done it. Progreso is our wonderful hurricane hole for now! kinda dirty but gota get to isla mujeres. Which reminds me if there will be any room to anchor this time of year. Guess could be on the out side but that's a long dink ride in! thanks Dan Root Risky Lady from Boot Key
Old 14-11-2016, 03:52   #10

Re: Help!! isla mujeres to Guatamala this time of year!

Its bad forum etiquette to post essentially the same question on multiple threads.

I suggest you take a look at the answers youve already received to your previous post and continue with any further questions on that same thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=175633
Old 14-11-2016, 04:17   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Its bad forum etiquette to post essentially the same question on multiple threads.

I suggest you take a look at the answers youve already received to your previous post and continue with any further questions on that same thread.

winter Sailing conditions Yucatan to Guatamala - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
All three merged to this one...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 06:11   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from now until june the weather is perfect.
that is why this is HIGH SEASON.
wow
imagine sailing in winter without storms.
hahaha
is why we have year round sailing.
summer for the more adventurous and winter for fair weather sailors.
just watch your gulf stream swirls and go for it--cornell's world cruising routes will help you as will watching the gulf stream as it swirls thru the gom and north west caribbean. happy sails. .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 06:11   #13
h20

Thank you great info
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Here is a link to the US Pilot Charts for the North Atlantic including the Gulf of Mexico

Pilot Charts depict averages in prevailing winds and currents, air and sea temperatures, wave heights, ice limits, visibility, barometric pressure, and weather conditions at different times of the year.

The Atlas of Pilot Charts set is comprised of five volumes, each covering a specific geographic region. Each volume is an atlas of twelve pilot charts, each depicting the observed conditions for a particular month of any given year.

The charts are intended to aid the navigator in selecting the fastest and safest routes with regards to the expected weather and ocean conditions. The charts are not intended to be used for navigation.

Good free planning tool...
Old 14-11-2016, 06:13   #14
h20

YES! kinda goofed up was changing e mail and got locked out for a bit, then couldn't find post, thne found all. Sorry about that, please forgive me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
All three merged to this one...
Old 14-11-2016, 06:16   #15
h20

Thank you for your advice over the years! Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
from now until june the weather is perfect.
that is why this is HIGH SEASON.
wow
imagine sailing in winter without storms.
hahaha
is why we have year round sailing.
summer for the more adventurous and winter for fair weather sailors.
just watch your gulf stream swirls and go for it--cornell's world cruising routes will help you as will watching the gulf stream as it swirls thru the gom and north west caribbean. happy sails. .

Tags
sail, sailing, yucatan