Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 19:53   #76

Boat: Ranger 33'
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Carling black label is to die for, could not believe when they quit selling it in texas.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 20:09   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I think Buck has been there before..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 00:26   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad View Post
Shan, I think I recall reading some news articles on your grim find. Could you advise the title or ISBN of your book, I'd love to give it a read if I can find a copy here. Thanks

What with Bruce's and Ann's stories, it is simply amazing that there is still so many first hand accounts of the events from over 40 years ago.
ISBN 978-0-620-55080-2
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 00:37   #79
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Would you be willing to give further information about your 6 months there? Curious about freshwater source you used, what animals and plant life you encountered, shipwrecks encountered if you snorkeled,etc.
I'm sure things have changed a bit but we snorkeled every day in all the areas we could find to snorkel in. There were plenty sharks but they seemed well fed with the huge abundance of fish there and we were certainly cautious. We supplemented our diet with mainly fish and coconuts but really a resourceful person could find so much to eat there, as we did.Water was stored in an enormous rain tank on the island and it rained frequently. There is so much to tell about Palmyra that it might be better to read an accurate description of it. I have done an in depth story in 2 chapters of my stay on Palmyra - check out ISBN 978-0-620-55080-2 (I hope that this doesn't constitute "commercial" advertising - Admin please remove if it does with my apologies)
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 02:52   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For those of you who might wonder why Muff didn't get Mac to leave, I've been thinking back to those years.

There were skippers who'd take a "I won't let some a**e frighten me out of an anchorage"....or a frightened wife....

Obviously, we'll never know, and the whole thing was a very sad happening.

Ann
Old 19-07-2015, 09:29   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
The following is a story I came across quite a number of years ago (and perhaps the author Curt Rowlett may even be one of those on this forum, I don’t know-would love to hear an update Curt if you are around).
I was notified by a friend that my story about Palmyra was being discussed on this forum, so I created an account in order to reply back.

The Curse of Palmyra story has indeed been updated and you can now read the entire book online for free, or you can download a free PDF copy of it by going to this link.

(Moderators: I am not selling anything here. I no longer offer my books for sale and instead, make everything that I've written available for free to those who are interested in reading my work).

Regards,

Curt
CurtRowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 12:23   #82

Boat: Norseman 447
Who's Been to Palmyra?

We stopped at Palmyra in March of '09 after leaving Hawaii. We didn't have the "cruising permit" from the conservancy so we pulled our famous "broke down" routine. It's better to get a reservation as they only allow 2 boats to anchor in the huge lagoon at a time. We were the only boat, but only had 3 wonderful days as the open catamaran "Hokalaia" and their filming chase boat were coming. Had a great time with the scientists and cooks. You're only allowed to visit the main island but has many long hikes.

After leaving, went the short uphill to Fanning and ended up spending a month in a very protected attoll . Very desolate as there is no airport and small fishing villages. Great snorkeling and a left surf break just outside the pass "to die for". Had it all to myself!

Then on to Christmas Is. To pick up a new Inverter/charger.

All highly recommended!

Cheers, Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333690.355533.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	105624Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333714.865060.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	105625Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333725.870587.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	105626Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333739.827174.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	105627Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333757.469498.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	105628Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333768.827276.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	105629Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333781.031609.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	105630Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437333791.337073.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	105631

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2015, 13:08   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtRowlett View Post
I was notified by a friend that my story about Palmyra was being discussed on this forum, so I created an account in order to reply back.

The Curse of Palmyra story has indeed been updated and you can now read the entire book online for free, or you can download a free PDF copy of it by going to this link.

(Moderators: I am not selling anything here. I no longer offer my books for sale and instead, make everything that I've written available for free to those who are interested in reading my work).

Regards,

Curt
I should note that the "friend" I refer to above is Sharon Jordan, the person who discovered Muff Graham's remains during her extended stay on Palmyra Island. Sharon and I became acquainted after I interviewed her for my book. Her full story about her time on Palmyra is told by her in her own written memoir and is well-worth checking out.

Curt
CurtRowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 13:25   #84

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

When visiting friends on Summer Breeze on a private pier in Kaneohe in the 80s I asked Elmer about the only other boat on the pier. He said that was the former Sea Wind and explained about its history. Other friends had buddy boated to Palmyra in the early 80s aboard Velera Linda and H. O. P. E. and came back with stories and photos. I really wished I'd had a month to go along but leave was hard to come by then while I was still on active duty.

All in all I don't think we'll ever know all the facts about what happened to the Grahams but we do know it was a very unpleasant tale and I read whatever I can about it.

Of course I believe Ann.
Old 19-07-2015, 15:36   #85
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I was reading how they killed all the rats on the island recently. I will hope they continue their heavy restrictions
A Rat-Free Palymyra Atoll | Cool Green Science

There are some nice videos on youtube from people visiting the place. Check them out.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 06:39   #86

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad View Post
Haven't been there but if you decide to read the book for insight into Palmyra be forewarned it is bar-none the worst piece of so called literature ever written. Bugliosi the author/lawyer pads the story so profusely with vain, shameless self-aggrandizement about his skills as a lawyer it is absolutely nauseating and difficult to read. The only redeeming factor that prevents it from being total literary garbage is the fact it does accurately portray the events leading up to Mac & Muff's murder. The scum bag Walker who killed them was released after 22yrs & I am pleased to say died a few years later, his blonde half wit sidekick never served a day.
I read Vince Bugliosi's Helter Skelter in the early 70's. He was a first rate lawyer (LA County Prosecutor) at that time. Then, when his And the Sea Will Tell came out, I had to get a copy. It is a very good read in my opinion.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 06:41   #87

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
When visiting friends on Summer Breeze on a private pier in Kaneohe in the 80s I asked Elmer about the only other boat on the pier. He said that was the former Sea Wind and explained about its history. Other friends had buddy boated to Palmyra in the early 80s aboard Velera Linda and H. O. P. E. and came back with stories and photos. I really wished I'd had a month to go along but leave was hard to come by then while I was still on active duty.

All in all I don't think we'll ever know all the facts about what happened to the Grahams but we do know it was a very unpleasant tale and I read whatever I can about it.

Of course I believe Ann.
Was Sea Wind one of Jack Kelly's Peterson 46 or 44s ?
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 13:29   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
For those of you who might wonder why Muff didn't get Mac to leave, I've been thinking back to those years.

There were skippers who'd take a "I won't let some a**e frighten me out of an anchorage"....or a frightened wife....

Obviously, we'll never know, and the whole thing was a very sad happening.

Ann
I wondered if it was the "I won't let some a**e frighten me out of an anchorage" or maybe they were worried about Buck's girl friend.

We have 20/20 vision about the incident so it is easy to wonder why they did not leave but it is still a good question to ask. Certainly the odds of another cruiser killing a cruiser is all but 0. Not sure if I have read/heard of a cruiser killing another cruiser except in this incident. That might have influenced their/his decision to stay.

When the little man on my shoulder is ringing the warning bell, or worse, smacking the bell against my head, I do something. Hopefully, the right something. My wife is not a scaredy cat in any way, and if she is nervous, I pay attention to her. She might smack me in the head if I don't.

In some of the travel reports I have read, some cruisers have picked up anchor and left because of the behavior of the locals. I always thought they were smart to do so. There is always another anchorage somewhere else...

Yep, we will never know...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 14:16   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, Dan, we've left because of bad vibes ashore, too. Seems safer. Your gut doesn't send out those warnings for nothing.

Ann
Old 20-07-2015, 14:45   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I was reading how they killed all the rats on the island recently. I will hope they continue their heavy restrictions
A Rat-Free Palymyra Atoll | Cool Green Science

There are some nice videos on youtube from people visiting the place. Check them out.
I followed the link to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

However, I did not see any mention of the number of rats killed, nor the means of killing them described in any way (e.g. poison, traps, etc.).

Anyone here know what method(s) they used to eliminate/kill the rats?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote