Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 11:31   #1

Boat: Hunter 34
Which boat to enjoyably sail around the world

Hi

my name is Michael, I am 43 years old. My wifes name is Manuela and she is... younger than I am

We are planning to sail around the world starting end of 2016 and allowing us 2 years time to enjoy.I have been sailing for 30 years, but have never taken a long time off from work.

I would like to pick your brains about which boat we could use and for that I have prepared our boarder lines.

- Budget ~ US$ 90,000 for the completely outfitted boat
- LWL over 30 ft
- Berths for 4 max needed (us and maybe 2 friends for short visits)
- Route will be mainly in cool to warm waters
- Large fuel capacity (could be retrofitted if necessary)
- Start of tour is in Texas, USA

I know that opinions drift apart when it gets to Keel design for example, please throw all your experience and ideas out there for grabs.

Thanks, looking forward to your inputs

Michael
justmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:05   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Which boat to enjoyably sail around the world

While it goes against the thoughts of many here, a vessel with a spade rudder would not be my choice for a long distance cruiser.

Keel depth is also a trade off. Deeper limits leeway. Shallow allows access to more harbors.

I like the idea of a tough boat.

Good luck in ur travels.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 30-07-2015, 12:07   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Think sum 90 puts you in the older 34 or 36 monohull range if you want to add all the goodies.

I myself would do a Tartan 37 and replace all the rigging and sails and still have money for the watermaker, high end solar, autopilot, ePirb....

You may just hit your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-07-2015, 12:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Michael & Manuela! Welcome Aboard CF!

I see this is your first post here. And you have started with a good introduction to what you want.

I think your budget is adequate to get a nice used cruising boat, and is enough for you to do some updating of the boat as needed.

Given your budget, I would look for boats listed (asking price) at $40K or less. I have seen many nice boats at that price level (or below). With the rest of the budget, I would look to make necessary updates, but still keep about $10K in reserve too, for unexpected repairs etc.

I have a few suggestions to help newcomers to the forum, and my #1 suggestion is something I use almost every day to help me find answers to my questions.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Here is a quick Google Custom Search of this forum (only) with the key words "which boat." If you will take a look at those threads I believe you will find hundreds if not thousands of comments from a wide range of members, all focused on "which boat."

which boat - Google Search

I hope you find this helpful, in addition to the answers you get in this thread here.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:38   #5

Thanks so far for the good inputs.

The good thing is I still have half a years time to find the fitting boat.
Old 30-07-2015, 15:22   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Don't limit yourself to brokers and ads. Walk the docks and ask the locals.

Not only is it a good way to find a boat, it can make for pleasant days.

Old 30-07-2015, 16:57   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

I agree with Capt. When you go door to door you find a lot of boats not listed. Call Corpus Christi Municipal marina and get their "for sale" list.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BillyBobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 18:35   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

There's a sweet Wauquiez 35 for sale here in St. Pete. Perfect foundation for a couple.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 07:52   #9

Im in the market, al be it for a different type of boat, and a friend told me to check with the banks, as there have been a lot of boats repo'd and they have trouble unloading them.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:28   #10

I like the "walk the dock" and "contact the banks" ideas.
I will start doing that, there are really many interesting people to meet that sail.
Old 31-07-2015, 08:31   #11

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Ahoy, Justmic,

My suggestion would be to look for the older Morgan Out Islands built by Charlie Morgan, for the Carribean charter trade from 1973-1980 as either sloop or ketch. in lengths from 36-50ish. with accommodations for 2-4-6 or more. Nice because aft cabin will give you the privacy you might want at times. They also provide shallow draft and bottom protection. I have the Morgan 36 Out Island which I have sailed in the Gulf and Puget Sound and enjoyed very much. Stay away from the Fin Keels and Spade Rudders as they do not take kindly to groundings, though they may be a lot faster. Good Hunting.... for the boat you want....
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
While it goes against the thoughts of many here, a vessel with a spade rudder would not be my choice for a long distance cruiser.

Keel depth is also a trade off. Deeper limits leeway. Shallow allows access to more harbors.

I like the idea of a tough boat.

Good luck in ur travels.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:52   #13

I HAVE A 30' HUNTER IN RUSKIN FL. THAT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REDONE. A REAL GOOD BOAT FOR OPEN WATER. ASKING $22,000.
HUNTER30ANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 09:33   #14

Boat: Niagara 35

It's nice to get a first post like this that actually has enough information for people to go on! You also have a very do-able budget.

A lot of this will come to personal preference. I'd be looking for a 34-36' sloop or cutter with a fin keel. Don't worry too much about room for guests. You won't get as many as you think. You want somewhere to put them, but don't buy a boat with an extra cabin or anything.

You'll want some design basics like a sink on centerline and preferably a head towards the aft (so you don't get launched trying to use it at sea) as well as good sea berths.

I think a really important step is to make a detailed list of the must-have equipment (good ground tackle, new-ish life raft, epirb, self-steering or strong autopilot, lots of solar, perhaps a water maker, etc.). Now price out what buying and installing each one would take.

You'll find some boats come with a lot of this stuff and some have none but the price doesn't vary much between them. You can save a lot of money and time by finding a boat with a lot of good gear on it.

If you haven't already, go buy Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook. It is amazing and very complete.

Many will advise that 2 years is very quick. It is. If you follow the tropical storm off-seasons around the coconut milk run, it can be done in about 18 months, but you'll be at sea for about a third of your time. Most people do it in more like 5 years. That doesn't mean it's not the right choice for you, just quick for most.
Old 31-07-2015, 09:36   #15

Boat: Scout 30

I don't know if you saw the recent thread about the Beneteau that lost it's keel in the Atlantic after soft groundings. I don't mean to turn this into a Bene bashing thread but I agree that bolt on fin keels & spade rudders would not be my choice for sailing around the world. I also agree that draft should be a consideration.

Since you already own a 34' Hunter you're probably not looking for recommendations of similar quality coastal cruisers so hopefully this thread won't devolve into how may Hunters are sailing around the world.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail