Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 13:42   #16

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: What To Do 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Take some lessons. Join a club as a crew member (very reasonable)and get sailing.
Yes, most clubs have boats members can use; typically you have to reserve in advance but it's no big deal.

I would do that before buying a boat, worrying about transporting it, etc. And once you become competent on the larger daysailers that most clubs have (e.g. a J-24), you will have very little trouble handling a wide range of boats.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:48   #17

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: What to do 1st

I started by taking first a beginner and then an intermediate class at a local sailing school in the Lido 14. Then I took classes in 30' keel boats (Shields) leading to a certificate. Being around the school, other students, and instructors is conducive to finding a small boat with which to start. You will actually have a better idea of what and where to buy. You might even be able to leave your small boat at a yacht club or marina so you don't have to trailer it. Lots of options - just go ask. The school I choose was based on the fact that they were connected with a community college that I had previously attended and the fact that their web site advertized lessons in a cruising catamaran (no longer available by the time I was ready).
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:49   #18

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

I started sailing on a Laser I age 18 or so. My dad also had an albacore.

I imagine either of these boats could be had for < $1000. As something like 200,000 or 300,000 lasers were made, and they tend to be sailed by young people, and young people are a declining demographic, and they are all playing video games, I wouldn't be suprised if lasers are amost free these days. Plus you can transport car top.

The laser is great to learn on as it is so responsive and fast that stepping up to a larger sailboat, I almost never tipped as I had about 5 times the time to respond to changing conditions before a tip over would happen. Plus no bailing with the laser.

One of my favourite things was to tip the boat, dumping my nubie friend or relative in the lake, while scrambling onto the the side of the boat and staying (relatively) dry.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:31   #19

Boat: Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Hi:

I started sailing on a Laser I age 18 or so. My dad also had an albacore.

I imagine either of these boats could be had for < $1000. As something like 200,000 or 300,000 lasers were made, and they tend to be sailed by young people, and young people are a declining demographic, and they are all playing video games, I wouldn't be suprised if lasers are amost free these days. Plus you can transport car top.

The laser is great to learn on as it is so responsive and fast that stepping up to a larger sailboat, I almost never tipped as I had about 5 times the time to respond to changing conditions before a tip over would happen. Plus no bailing with the laser.

One of my favourite things was to tip the boat, dumping my nubie friend or relative in the lake, while scrambling onto the the side of the boat and staying (relatively) dry.

Boulter
Thanks for that info, it really helps. We have sailing school near us and I was over there on the 4th asking questions and in there sailing school boat yard are a lot and I mean a lot of smaller sailing boats. I'll be over there this weekend and will ask about small sailing boats for sale, lease whatever and I am going to ask about those lasers. Thanks all for your help.

dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:02   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
We first took a week long sailing course before buying. It was awesome ! Signed up with the water sailing">blue water sailing school in Ft. Lauderdale FL, got on the boat on a sat and lived on her till the following sat. We sailed to south Miami, Biscayne area then turned around and came back to take the certification tests. There is a huge difference in a live aboard course compared to once a week day sails, you live it for a full week for one, learning how to anchor , sail, eat , sleep, shower, poop, and all the tricks to make all that easier. The instructor was very good at sharing all he knew about live aboard cruising. It's a great way to build your skills and find out what you do and don't like about sailboats. We bought our first boat shortly after the class, a 1979 Pearson 365 ketch.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35   #21

Re: What to Do First

yup

My first boat was a $500 13' Cardinal w/ trailer. I towed it with a 4 banger. That was 33 years and four boats ago.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 21:26   #22
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

Volunteer for a crew on an easy tour. Sarasota is a beautiful area and offers lots of opportunities. Very active sailing community.
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 21:31   #23

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Check the local community colleges for lessons, several around the KC area offer lessons during the summer.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote