Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 20:15   #1

Boat: Still looking
What to Do First

Ok, here's the poop on the scoop, I am reading my second sailing book entitled "Sailing for Dummies". Now it's got a million pages that I haven't even made a dent in yet but still worth reading. I am starting to feel like the only way I am going to get threw all of this is to bite the bullet and by a sailboat small in size to start getting used to.
I own a Honda civic 4 banger and it will not tow anything large. So, I ask the advise of this community, take lessons 1st then buy or find something I can putt around in and get use to before I drop coin on sailing lessons. Is getting certified really that important at this stage of learning.
Or can it wait, and I focus on learning to sail properly then go for all the ASA cert's. What do you think, don't get me wrong reading these books is helpful but I just want to be on the frickin water already. Can I do this somewhat cheap in the beginning?
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 21:55   #2

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: What to do 1st

Hey there... Go to the local yacht club/marina and take a ride or two on someone elses boat, centerboard dingy or small keelboat, then start with your your own dingy like a Lido 14 or something about that size that you can do on your own as well as with somebody else. Get the right little boat in good shape. It will be cheap enough, be plenty of fun and you can tow it anywhere with that honda. Getting on the water is the point as you said and you wil never forget that little boat.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 22:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Cruising 1.01...

How to start cruising :-
1) Buy magazines and books on cruising. Read. Surf the net. Join Forums. Discuss.
2) Do sailing classes. Learn how someone else will handle a boat. Crew on other owners yachts.

Next.
Graduating to Cruising 2.01.

Problem is, everyone is different. Some go straight from where you are to a big boat, some charter, others might buy a trailer sailer or a small sailing dinghy while others again could just keep on reading those magazine and doing those classes.

Only you can decide. You've really taken the first step. The big difference is that next you're in charge of the boat with all the benefits and obligations involved. You could have to manage crew as well.

This is one university where you get to grade yourself...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16   #4

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht
Re: What To Do 1st

Buy a boat and start sailing.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Buy a boat and start sailing.

I think that's what I am gonna do, I need to get mt ass out on the water. Thanks Pal...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44   #6

Boat: Pearson 422

One thing to consider - having done both and taught on both, I think that learning sailing on a small boat teaches sailing skills better than a large boat. Large boats have lots of 'carry.' With a small boat, when you get out of trim, the boat reacts immediately. So learn the core skills on a small boat.

Regarding getting on the water, do it any way you can. Ask at the local club (Wed night races??) - good skippers are always willing to take on extra crew.

Buy/borrow/rent anything and everything. Time on the water is what matters.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:45   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

A Sunfish would fit on a rack on top of your Honda. The 14' Sunfish is the boat on which many folks learned to sail. You can buy one used for a few hundred bucks.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51   #8

Boat: Catalac 8m

We were in your 'boat' a few months ago. We found the local sailing club offerred lessions for $150 which included 4 days at 4 hours each. This was the 'beginners' class. They have an intermediate class to, then a certification class. I would at least take the beginners, then maybe buy a small boat.
BTW we don't really live in a sailing community but were lucky to find this club on the Ohio river!
Good luck to you!
Anna
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53   #9

Boat: Catalac 8m

P.S. We also crew on Wednesday nights, as someone above suggested. Good way to learn and to get out on the water for free.
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01   #10

Frank Dye towed his Wayfarer the length of the UK with a Renault 4 (horsepower = 40), so your Honda should be fine for a small daysailer. On the subject of Wayfarers, they are great seaworthy little boats, much better than a Lido 14 or Catalina 14.2 and the like.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

What worked for me was to alternate reading and doing. I read for a while and started getting bored and confused. Did a little sailing and all the fuzzy details I had read made sense so I went back and read some more which then all made more sense.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Buy something small and get out on the water! Learn some termanology and offer to crew with anyone who will have you. (That does not yell!) Have fun!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53   #13

I am in the same boat as your are. I have been reading, and reading and reading. My eyes are glazed over now. I need to get out on a sailboat, any sail boat and bring all of these terms and phrases together with some experience. My life long dream is to sail the South Pacific. It was only a dream until about two months ago when I decided to make the first step towards the water.
I am not done with the reading, but i am ready to feel some wind in my face. I think I am going to pick up a small boat and start applying the book stuff to the pulling on lines. I need to feel what I have been reading about. Anybody need a new green behind the ears crew member in Southern California
bumoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumoko View Post
I am in the same boat as your are. I have been reading, and reading and reading. My eyes are glazed over now. I need to get out on a sailboat, any sail boat and bring all of these terms and phrases together with some experience. My life long dream is to sail the South Pacific. It was only a dream until about two months ago when I decided to make the first step towards the water.
I am not done with the reading, but i am ready to feel some wind in my face. I think I am going to pick up a small boat and start applying the book stuff to the pulling on lines. I need to feel what I have been reading about. Anybody need a new green behind the ears crew member in Southern California
Good luck my friend, I actually got in with this sailing club sort a speak and I go out on Thursdays with them and I get to learn. It was so cool my first time out on a monohull. I was hooked, I like all the advice and yes it's time to get something I drape over my 4 banger and put it in the water, bring my sailing for dummies book and go for it.
Thanks everybody for the advise, I am going to look for something small to start off with, and living near the Sarasota area I can find something
Old 06-07-2011, 13:24   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Take some lessons. Join a club as a crew member (very reasonable)and get sailing.