Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 14:58   #1

What Is the Procedure for Sailing to Other Countries?

I would like to sail around the Caribbean and maybe Mexico. I know I need a passport to get back into the us but what would i do to get into other countries? Do I need to get permission or check in when I arrive? How does that all work and is there some resource to go to? Is it different for each country? Due to my wild youth, I am a convicted felon (many years ago but...) does this effect if I can get into these other countries? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Marc
extremeadven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 15:07   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will need a passport. Most countries in the area you mentioned do not require a visa before arrival but some do. You have to check in and out in most countries. Some require checking in at every stop within that country. This site has good info on the requirements.
Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors
Old 19-10-2009, 15:17   #3

Generally you need a passport and ship's papers. The ship's papers being proof of ownership. This is usually a USCG DOcument for US vessels, but can be done with other papers. When checking in they will want to see that you properly exited the previous country. This is usually a rubber stamp in the back of your passport. If you can get a passport I doubt if there would be other problems with your history. However, you never know.... you cant get into Canada on land if you've had a DUI in the last 10 years!! It was 20 years previously!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 03:00   #4

Boat: Boatless
Cheechako has it correctly. We have checked in and out almost 50 times in the last 2 years...officials have been uniformly friendly and the most helpful were in Marina Hemmingway in Cuba. Yesterday it took 20 minutes to check out of Carriacou Grennada, 2 hours to sail to Union Island in the Grenadines and another 20 minutes to check in there and all done by lunch time.

Best check in is done at the Yacht Club in St Georges in Grenada..the immigraion office is in the club and only 20 ft from the club bar...I have two beers while Nell checks us in...they have a one page form and are very efficient...hence only two beers. In Guadalope you go to the internet cafe and do it online while you have an expresso.

But do check out.. they take it very seriously. If you fail to check out tell them you just came from Puerto Rico, no check out, and hope they don't find last weeks passport stamp from an island 10 miles away.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 10:43   #5

Thanks for your help guys (and girls).

Thanks, your replies were very helpful.

Marc
extremeadven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, documentation