Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 08:41   #16

Re: What do sailors do on vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
September equals Greece. Perfect weather, swimmable, better rates and (somewhat) smaller crowds.
Note taken, thank you.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 08:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Work on the head, haul out, strip the deck and apply kiwi grip, teak varnish, engine oil change...oh...that's what I do on vacation...
Ha! Sounds a bit slavish. I'm not afraid of hard work but I do like fiberglass!
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 08:47   #18

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

My vote is for you to charter in the BVI's. I'd stronly recommend a cat as the sleeping arrangements for 2 couples and a small child will provide more privacy: each family gets a hull! Since this will be your first time "out" the BVI's provide protected waters, great conditions and you won't have any language issues to deal with. I've chartered there several times over the past 20 years and found Tortolla Marine Management to be a great outfit. TMM's boats aren't the newest but they're in great shape and they have great rates! You'll also find that Tortolla is a good place to provision for a bareboat charter. Fair Winds!
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 08:55   #19

I would start with Ed Hamilton yacht charter brokers - they have the most extensive knowledge of several areas and can match you with a charter that meets your needs. We used them approx 15+ years ago to charter in the BVIs and had a captain and a cook AND we included scuba diving AND sailing instruction on that trip. That 1st trip led to another and more instruction which we benefited from greatly. It doesn't cost you anything to work through them.
You'll find their site through any search engine.
paholma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:03   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 40

Yes, I would agree with the Greece option. My Family and I went to the Ionian for our first experience of Skippering our own Boat. We had a fair amount of sailing experience both coastal and offshore as crew but that doesn't prepare you for the first time you have the responsibility yourself and the boat handling that goes with it. Very interesting the first time doing Mediterranean moorings!
We went with Sunsail the first year and chose the Ionian because it's well known as an easy introduction, the flotilla crew were excellent and they are well used to assisting people on their first charter and the winds are generally light unlike Croatia where it is much more challenging sailing and the Social scene is very friendly too. You can dip in and out of group functions where you please.
We've done four charters now in various countries and had an excellent time each holiday. Definitely recommend it.
Just add water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 09:14   #21

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I would still contact the Croatia charter companies and tell them your situaiton. I thought I heard that the ICC is required but it doesn't get enforced with chartering (YMMV).
I agree it's best to contact the charter companies for the latest details. FWIW, attached is a document we received from Sunsail when we chartered from them in Croatia in 2013. As you can see, at that time either ASA 104 or an International Proficiency Certificate was acceptable as an alternative to ICC.

My wife and I also did a bareboat charter in the BVI as our first trip, and I think it's probably a better place to start than Croatia. Everything's easier in the BVI.. the sailing, the logistics, navigation (all line of sight), mooring balls, etc.

We didn't have any language difficulties in Croatia. In fact, I would say that around the marinas and in heavily touristed areas, English seemed to be the most commonly spoken language (lots and lots of English-speaking Europeans sailing & chartering there).

As for space, everybody's idea of "big enough" is different, but I would say as long as you have at least 2 heads, a 41' monohull would be fine for four adults plus a small child.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sailing Reqs_CROATIA.pdf (38.2 KB, 55 views)
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 11:29   #22
Marine Service Provider

November is late hurricane season - usually ok in the Caribbean by then. I would suggest that you look further south for even less of a threat. Grenada and the Grenadines are far enough south that hurricanes are seldom a serious threat. We are brokers for Sunsail / The Moorings and can organize a knowledgeable skipper / instructor for you as well. Check out our website and drop me an email if you have any questions.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 12:01   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

On vacation we either sail or are on a roadtrip.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 12:37   #24

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

L

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 12:59   #25

Boat: Sabre 42

A big +1 on the BVI. Several years ago, my wife and I took some classes to get out bareboat certification and armed only with that experience had a great BVI trip.

I agree that a knowledgable captain will have many insights to share, but we learned best by doing. Go rent a boat and have a blast. The BVI is many sailors' favorite for a reason. The navigation is dead easy and there are always anchorages within a few miles.
Old 28-04-2015, 13:18   #26

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

You can fill in a sailing questionnaire on many charter web sites and the companies will give a ballpark opinion on whether you're ready to bareboat, and how big a boat. There are intermediate steps such as flotillas or hiring a skipper for a day or two. For the Med, a charter broker or company might help translate your classes into an ICC.
With an honest travel cancellation policy, September in the Caribbean might be an acceptable risk... that's your choice. Some areas there are more away from storm tracks than others, too.
Old 28-04-2015, 16:20   #27

Lightbulb Re: What do sailors do on vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter200 View Post
A great source of information for both destinations is YouTube. Just type in sailing and then you can see videos posted by people having sailed in Croatia and the BVI's. Have a great time in either destination.
I have to second this. YouTube will get you a first-hand view of some of the destinations you and your wife can sail to. It really help narrow down your options and focus your desires on where to go.
Barbossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 01:13   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have chartered (bareboat) in Croatia before and have done the same thing again for Aug this year. I hv chartered from Sunsail numerous times (Turkey & Greece) but they did not have the boat i wanted (Jeanneau 45DS) last few years. The suggestion to join a flotilla is very good for yr level of experience. You will get plenty of advice, warning of rocks etc to look out for, best places to stop for midday swim+lunch, best places to anchor overnight, tech support if something goes wrong, etc. . They often have reserved berths in some places, and usually at least once in a week they organise a beach Bar-B-Q. Sunsail have bases at Dubrovnik and Sibenik. The islands near and N of Sibenik are the most popular but i suggest you do not go there in Aug but yr idea for Sept wld be OK. Sailing is very easy and suits families and children since there are no long trips between the islands. Typically you wld do 2 hrs in the morning, stop for swim in a nice bay, then 2-3 hrs in the afternoon to another island. Take a look at the Sunsail website for Croatia.

A 36-40ft boat would give you 3 double cabins, plenty of space for 4-6 people and be easy to handle. Try and avoid taking hard suitcases. Best is something that will fold flat when empty.
Old 30-04-2015, 21:31   #29

Boat: Trisbal 36

Don't know about the BVIs but I can confirm the licence or permit requirement in Croatia : they asked for it already back in 2006 when we hired a bareboat there. Also, if you are used to "North American style" customer assistance, you might as well start with some proven solution in the Caribbean indeed. There won't be any language barrier in Croatia, English being widely spoken, but there will be a cultural one. And I'm saying this although I am European.

To put it crudely, Croatia is a place you go for the magnificent scenery of the cruising ground, but not for the smiles on people's faces. I don't mean to offend anyone, and some people we met were cordial and kind. But while we enjoyed our cruising from Dubrovnik to Split, we won't return there since there are far too many other beautiful places where you don't have to put up with obnoxious people. Now in the off season it may be better than during the summertime, so you can try November, but then you will have to deal with the fearsome Bora...

Anyways, have a great vacation and enjoy your sailing !
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:25   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to
Yacht Charter - Cosmos yachting
And to ➥ BAREBOAT CHARTER
To charter a yacht bareboat, in Croatia, it is generally required by the port authorities that the designated skipper holds an official sailing license, for example the ICC (International Certificate of Competence).
Or a bunch of ASA courses with the appropriate stamps in the book. Oh and in Croatia try EuroMarine as a charter company.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, vacation