Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 01:19   #46

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: What are your thoughts on sailing video blogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
I want to have some up-to-date info for the seminar I am presenting in Port Townsend in September on how to earn money as you cruise through writing, blogging and video. Appreciate your thoughts on following questions:
1. Do you follow any sailing video blogs
2. Do you subscribe to the video blog
3. How do you choose which you follow
4. How often do you want to see a new video
5. What makes you stop following a video blog
6. Are you willing to pay to support a video blog
I am posting this request in several places to see how responses differ.
Thanks for helping me help other sailors.

Lin Pardey
Hi Lin,
i looked at the question and thought about the answers and figured that i am just not part of the target group.
this is in regards to both, your questions and the average sailing vlog.
i can only stand so much bikini girls (not) sailing in places that i'd rather be than my office or people notoriously asking for patreon support for not learning to sail.
i do check Dylan Winter's blog (KeepTurningLeft.co.uk) or Christian Walkers Youtube Channel ("Why we sail" series) for updates once in a while but i do not really "follow" either.
i guess i just rather spend time at or on the water when i am not at work ,)
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 04:57   #47

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

I have followed numerous vlogs SV Delos and Wicked Salty, Sail life etc, and do subscribe to quite a few. I choose vlogs that interest me either for their content re sailing area, how to idears, some renovation issues.
Frequency of vlogs is unimportant but normally most are weekly.
I stop watching if it becomes a a vehicle for adverts.
Often buy them a beer but if it is evident that they are on a tight budget a will
donate a few pounds.
One vlog which I consider top class is Sailing Emerald steel well produced, covers lots of interesting points and give some good advice based on their own experience.
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 05:16   #48

Yes - these are my favs:

Catamaran Impi, RAN Sailing, Cruising Lealea
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:39   #49

Boat: Lagoon 40

Please see responses below, and thanks for all of your inspiration and contributions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
I want to have some up-to-date info for the seminar I am presenting in Port Townsend in September on how to earn money as you cruise through writing, blogging and video. Appreciate your thoughts on following questions:
1. Do you follow any sailing video blogs - yes, when not out sailing I tend to be addicted: Delos, La Vagabond, Trio Travels, Drake Paragon, Distant Shores (I know this isn't a blog, but well worthy of mention)..etc.
2. Do you subscribe to the video blog - yes, see above
3. How do you choose which you follow - has to be a balance between sailing, travel information, and good entertainment
4. How often do you want to see a new video - weekly to monthly
5. What makes you stop following a video blog - unfortunately its probably lack of continuity, but I understand the huge time commitment to put these together well, internet connectivity while cruising, and simply time to accumulate interesting materials
6. Are you willing to pay to support a video blog - yes, I support a couple of Patreon
I am posting this request in several places to see how responses differ.
Thanks for helping me help other sailors.

Lin Pardey
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:06   #50

Boat: Currently in between

Yes, several including Lazy Geckos, Delos, Have Wind will Travel, Uma, Prism, Trio Travels and a few more.
Yes, it makes it easier to see the new updates.
Content, for me it is about quality. Production quality, including sound, and content quality.
I think a new one about every two weeks is good. Too much sooner and they seem to be scratching for content while longer than two weeks can result in a lengthy video that can be hard to watch.
When quality is so poor I can't stand it anymore or when content is no longer about sailing and/or destinations (let's face it, you can't watch waves all day, you need some of the local flair). Once there Blog becomes a sh-t show and they have crap for content, start asking for donations, become whining beggars, etc., they are off my radar.
Sure, a limited amount of funds have been set aside for those that entertain and inform us. Money is finite so it is dolled out sparingly.

**NOTE ABOUT MONEY** We have become friends with a crew in our area at present and I have a little inside scoop that some may or may not know. The money isn't as good as most people think by looking at Patreon. Our friends told us the amount shown on Patreon per video doesn't hold up for the whole month. That amount is for the 1st video of the month. Some people that donate restrict their donations to one or two videos a month, not every video. So while some of the heavy hitters like La Vagabond and Delos might show $6K or so it can drop to $3K or $4K by video two as a lot of donors only pay for one video a month. However, that still isn't too shabby is it?
Old 01-08-2016, 19:53   #51

Boat: Lots of boats.

Yes, Accidental Sailor Girl, Love her innocence and positive attitude. SV Delos, Brian seems sincere, all the others just tag along. Shaun and Julia Sailing, quality improves with every video. Keep TurningLeft, love seeing Great Britain from the water, although they seem to be taking a break. Others, prefer real people on smaller boats to 60-70 footers with unlimited budgets.
Yes
Good personalities, actual work done on boats, good camera work, scenic areas.
Bi-weekly to weekly
Lack of videos, commercialization
Nope, would rather pay for my trips, not theirs. I waited my whole life, they jumped into retirement without the same level of sacrifice.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logs, sail, sailing