Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do have a gun or plan to have a gun on your boat?
Gun - NO 92 57.50%
Gun - YES 68 42.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 09:46   #136

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Discretion is always pertinent.Thats whats great about the internet, I'll probably never see or personally know any of you, so discretion complete. As for a smile and carefree attitude, it will almost always go a long way, except with true criminals then chances are they will be more experienced in survival, quicker at aggression, and more immediately focused than you...you still loose. I've had several Australian, European, Canadian, and African friends who have no problem with American gun liberalism, some to the point of envy, so I guess it's the people you choose to be around. In your case, I guess you flock to paranoia, sorry.
Old 24-12-2010, 10:19   #137
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Not to paranoia no....
Having been raised on the Indian sub-continent guns were a way of life... I was hunting duck and boar (4/10 over under) in the Jheels (marshes) with the old man and my mom as young as 7... fired my first 12bore at 9... knocked me flat on my back.. everyone we knew had guns...
In the forces I used 303's, SLR's and the most dangerous weapon in the RN... a Lanchester semi automatic... the danger mainly to us as they were notorious for 'trigger jam'...
Also hiking round the 'Kush' there were Pathans armed to the teeth all over who enjoyed pot shots at strangers...
Its just that sometimes one reaches a point where 'The Kill' no longer holds any satisfaction... so one walks away.
Watching life fade from the eye's grows heavy on the soul...
I can and will use one again proficiently should the need arise... but until that time I prefer to go unarmed... and use the options
a Lanchester

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-12-2010, 11:17   #138

Boat: Hans Christian 33
This is the only gun that I carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speargun.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	22210  
Old 24-12-2010, 11:19   #139

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My personal view based on living in the US for many years , is that the personal protection and the right to carry is more a political argument to justify and maintain the relatively lax gun laws. Remember if no justification real or imagined really exists to support personal protection using firearms in a modern developed country , then one gets manufactured . Perhaps it's suits the argument ( both at home and on boats) that " they're all out to get me"
Excuse me! The gun laws keep getting more harsh with each year.

Our fore fathers put the "right to bar arms" in the Constitution for a reason, and that was so our government could not over run the public, like other governments have in the past.

Every year this government makes an attempt undermine our Constitution because they know it worked for hitler, stalin, mussolini and the communist in order to control the people. This country (USA) is founded on the people controlling the government. Once that's gone so is the USA. And if that's what you want, modus operandi.

USAians do respect the laws of other countries. And if they don't want us bringing weapons into port, 'so be it'! But at sea don't try to undermine my natural right to protect myself and family, whatever means they may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Nuclear bombs dont kill people - people with nuclear bombs kill people, the flu doesnt kill people people with the flu kill people,
Exactly! And AIDS, knifes, arrows sharp sticks and so on...... It's the actions of man not the object itself! It's just that guns keeps a safe distance between you and the other guy unless he has a gun too. Then someone has to submit or fight to the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
question is how do you combat people who will sacrifice there own lives for a cause?
hearts and minds?
This is the way it use to be in the USA many years ago. But now they are so brainwashed with pc crap they can't think straight. And the same has moved onto the cruiser.

While people have a right to their own opinion they don’t have a right to their own facts. Moreover, if they want to forfeit their own freedoms, fine, but they don’t have a right to forfeit my freedoms. And,at sea, it's not violating any law to carry, yet!
Old 24-12-2010, 11:34   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Excuse me! The gun laws keep getting more harsh with each year.

Our fore fathers put the "right to bar arms" in the Constitution for a reason, and that was so our government could not over run the public, like other governments have in the past.

Every year this government makes an attempt undermine our Constitution because they know it worked for hitler, stalin, mussolini and the communist in order to control the people. This country (USA) is founded on the people controlling the government. Once that's gone so is the USA. And if that's what you want, modus operandi.

USAians do respect the laws of other countries. And if they don't want us bringing weapons into port, 'so be it'! But at sea don't try to undermine my natural right to protect myself and family, whatever means they may be.

Exactly! And AIDS, knifes, arrows sharp sticks and so on...... It's the actions of man not the object itself! It's just that guns keeps a safe distance between you and the other guy unless he has a gun too. Then someone has to submit or fight to the finish.

This is the way it use to be in the USA many years ago. But now they are so brainwashed with pc crap they can't think straight. And the same has moved onto the cruiser.

While people have a right to their own opinion they don’t have a right to their own facts. Moreover, if they want to forfeit their own freedoms, fine, but they don’t have a right to forfeit my freedoms. And,at sea, it's not violating any law to carry, yet!
Now this is Paranoia..^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ and worse... lack of faith in ones country... a mans freedoms only as valid as the majority permit it to be...
or he's dead pretty damn quick...
Remember we've seen you guys getting beat the crap out of in the 60's anti-Vietnam demo's... and we've seen the 'rightous' die at the hands of the FBI...
All this other stuff is just macho BS.... push comes to shove... you'll follow the rest.

PS; In the UK its BAR arms... in the US its BEAR arms

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-12-2010, 11:40   #141

This may have been answered somewhere, if so, sorry to ask again...It appears that just over 40% carry on their boats. Is that about the same as the percentage of folks with guns in their homes?
Old 24-12-2010, 11:56   #142

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Here we went...again. I'm OK with 40%...you OK with 40%? As this subject winds down to it's inevitable-name calling- conclusion, can we just beat it to the punch and call it over!? THANKS
Old 24-12-2010, 12:06   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now this is Paranoia..^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ and worse... lack of faith in ones country... a mans freedoms only as valid as the majority permit it to be...
or he's dead pretty damn quick...
Remember we've seen you guys getting beat the crap out of in the 60's anti-Vietnam demo's... and we've seen the 'rightous' die at the hands of the FBI...
All this other stuff is just macho BS.... push comes to shove... you'll follow the rest.

Again, modus operandi.

Viet Nam and Korea were not wars of self defense but were taken on by request of freedom fighters.
And, It was our government that sent us, not the people. There was a draft back then, no choice w/o running like a coward.

Quote:
'rightous'
Who are the righteous, explain that to me?

Quote:
Most crimes here in the US are related to drugs, which come from other countries.
Quote:
Substance abuse connection
FACT: 80% of offenders abuse alcohol or other drugs.
FACT: 50% of jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.
FACT: 60% of individuals arrested for most types of crimes test positive for illicit drugs at arrest.
Drugs and Crime in America | NADCP

Check the stats.......... Total crimes (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map.

Back to the poll.......
Old 24-12-2010, 12:09   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Here we went...again. I'm OK with 40%...you OK with 40%? As this subject winds down to it's inevitable-name calling- conclusion, can we just beat it to the punch and call it over!? THANKS
That's the idea! A discussion w/o name calling, insults or personal attacks. I know it's hard for some but they should be excluded not the majority. And one does have a choice to read, or not!
Old 24-12-2010, 12:11   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
3 days and 143 posts. Not doing too bad. It will end badly, but after all the ones we have had you just never know quite when. Try and be nice to each other and maybe take a holiday break.
Old 24-12-2010, 12:28   #146
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
3 days and 143 posts. Not doing too bad. It will end badly, but after all the ones we have had you just never know quite when. Try and be nice to each other and maybe take a holiday break.

And please VOTE! I've been watching the vote count change and am still surprised that the percentages seem be holding regardless.
Old 24-12-2010, 12:32   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I think this is the first boat/gun discussion I have read. I wonder why it always ends badly? I mean, if you want a gun on board that's your choice. If you don't want one on board, that is your choice as well. No point in name calling because you do or do not choose to be armed.
Old 24-12-2010, 12:44   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Again, modus operandi.

Viet Nam and Korea were not wars of self defense but were taken on by request of freedom fighters.

Actually it was a corrupt government... sod all to do with freedom fighters and you guys went into a French colonial defeat to try and support Mcarthy's paranoia... if your Government had let it be Communism would have collapsed anyway... just as it has... and there'd have been a lot more live americans

And, It was our government that sent us, not the people. There was a draft back then, no choice w/o running like a coward.

There were many who called Clay/Ali a coward... but I'm not one of them... the cowards were the ones who went like sheep

Who are the righteous, explain that to me?

You for one.. the right to bear arms and defend yourself... even against your government if need be... your own words

Most crimes here in the US are related to drugs, which come from other countries.

Funny how we forget the guys way back when in the 60's who started the ball rolling.... Timothy Leary being the famous chemist.. but there were lots of white americans who led the way with weed... so forget that weepy I'm so hard done by country ballard

Drugs and Crime in America | NADCP

Check the stats.......... Total crimes (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map.

Back to the poll.......
This is not a personal attack..more a generalisation... grow up over there... even India has a smaller chip on their shoulders than you guys... and they were a colony for a lot longer...

Old 24-12-2010, 12:46   #149
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
This is the only gun that I carry.
I think that one is illegal in the Bahamas? Maybe not (Hawaiian slings only)?. Guns are not, but ammo checked in and out if I am correct....not sure what happens if the count is different upon checkout?

Doesn't the whole gun-packing thing really depend on where your cruising grounds are? Would you really feel the need to have a weapon aboard in the Bahamas?

You might want one in Mexico, but they will take it from you so why have it on the boat? Surely, you would not be bold enough *not* to claim it upon check-in?

Anyone want to buy a .410 single shot? Santa brought it to me when I was 8 (1960). It won't be travelling with us on our boat.

Ralph
Old 24-12-2010, 12:55   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is not a personal attack..more a generalisation... grow up over there... even India has a smaller chip on their shoulders than you guys... and they were a colony for a lot longer...
What a contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
and worse... lack of faith in ones country...
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
And i'm not pissed, just disappointed.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns