Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 03:40   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
SELECTIVE ? Where do you get your info ? OR tying to stay out of the BS
Well.. seems you prefer Selective..
Don't want to get involved in the crap and ********.. it happens daily in real life.. why do folks expect different on the net.
You could take any full time cruiser and ask them to list their tips and tricks and I'll lay odds on that within a week of them coming out with their Comprehensive List of Tips and Tricks they'll post something they'd forgotten until the subject arose..
There's a lot of whinging goes on by some but... some really great yet simple idea's/truths emerge out of the melee...
But.. each to their own.. there's quiet corners for researchers n swots and rowdy area's for the regulars..
Never understand why some people have to show up somewhere and feel obliged to change a success story into their own personal idea of what a site could be.. this applies to newly born Mods as well who feel the urge to flex their muscle and impose their personal values and opinions..
But CF survives regardless and moves on.. there's plenty of other forums out there.. I'm a member with all of them, but rarely a participator..
Not enough mix.. specific area's etc..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:19   #17

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV
Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Could there be posted a treatise
about how to search? It seems to
be a bit arcane, with results either
being too meager or overwhelming.

I occasionally do a search, get
nothing, give up and then post the
question, only to have someone say,
"You could find that by searching."

Yes the built in forum search is a pitiful thing. If searching for a specific topic, i have great results just using Google. I simply suffix whatever my search term is with "cruisers forum".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't want to get involved in the crap and ********.. it happens daily in real life.. why do folks expect different on the net.
You could take any full time cruiser and ask them to list their tips and tricks and I'll lay odds on that within a week of them coming out with their Comprehensive List of Tips and Tricks they'll post something they'd forgotten until the subject arose..
There's a lot of whinging goes on by some but... some really great yet simple idea's/truths emerge out of the melee...
But.. each to their own.. there's quiet corners for researchers n swots and rowdy area's for the regulars..
Never understand why some people have to show up somewhere and feel obliged to change a success story into their own personal idea of what a site could be.. this applies to newly born Mods as well who feel the urge to flex their muscle and impose their personal values and opinions..
But CF survives regardless and moves on.. there's plenty of other forums out there.. I'm a member with all of them, but rarely a participator..
Damn... in my head this Thread is starting to get mixed up with the "Is CF losing its way..?? Thread..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-02-2016, 05:27   #19

Quote:
Not trying to change just add to
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 05:53   #20
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
I have found this web sight a great wealth of knowledge and experience but any good tips are soon buried so deep it can be difficult to find even if you know the thread there is too many comments to weed through to find the information
Top tip - not quite what you're after but anyway...

Evernote - any really useful threads you want to keep, the evernote webclipper works treat for forums, and the search function means you can find them again. Edit out the stuff you don't want to keep.
Also, google search site: is often better than the search function on here..

put this into google then what add what you want to find..
Site:www.cruisersforums.com
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 07:16   #21

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

Evernote - any really useful threads you want to keep, the evernote webclipper works treat for forums, and the search function means you can find them again. Edit out the stuff you don't want to keep.

Site:www.cruisersforums.com

+1 on the Evernote. I've been compiling for a while now and view CF as a valuable resource.

I have a friend who calls this place the "Tower of Babble", and I totally get that. Separating the wheat from the chaff takes time. I try to contribute when I think I may have something to share, but there are a lot of individuals who consider this their "legacy" to sailing, and will jump on any and all subjects alike to dictate what's right, or not. It gets old. So I just keep reading ..... A lot...... I've been here since 2007 or 2008 under two or three other names (vashon58). Regulars have always been dropping off the radar, I believe this to be why. I'm also on SN and SA and have been for a while.

And I'm sorry for saying so, but yes, there is some bias going on as well. You can get away with being rude and surly if you're someone who is on here 24/7 (when are they sleeping?), (when are they sailing?). I notice some of them are noticeably absent from commenting on this thread. I find that interesting. Seems like if the mods find you entertaining, you can take more liberty at rudeness disguised as knowledgeable opinion. Combine it with poor syntax, spelling, and flat out misuse of words, and boy howdy, we got a forum.

I almost always picture jowls flapping, and a hardy harrumph at the end of a lot of comments on here.

One more bitch and I'll quit, what's up with the anti American bias that's been increasing of late? I finally shut up about it after at first calling people out on it, and getting ganged up on for it. Is that "being nice"? There's a lot of double standards on here. Sometimes there's been less, and sometimes there's been more. I always just consider it entertainment and move on.

So, in conclusion, my answer would be a resounding YES.........but it's been doing so for a long time in evolutionary ways.
Old 14-02-2016, 07:36   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

StraitShooter.. I don't think there's an anti-American view on here per se...
Most Americans I've meet and had dealings with have been fine.. including police and sheriffs.. the only times this pops up is on gun threads or 'Threat' threads which devolve to guns and we can't see how you can't see what we can see blah blah blah..
Here in Europe people who need to walk round carrying guns are viewed as 3rd Worlders in the main.. civilised society should not need them in the general public.. that's what armies and law enforcement are for.. and an armed population = an unstable one.. look around.
If.. for pointing out an observation one is considered anti American.. and provokes an attack and vitriolic abuse on one from Americans.. as far as I'm concerned they prove my point... but no..!!
more tea in the bloody harbour..

Old 14-02-2016, 07:46   #23

Boat: Orca 38

I'll be sure to point out specifics in the future.
Old 14-02-2016, 08:01   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I'll be sure to point out specifics in the future.

I see another 'Outing' on the Horizon...

Old 14-02-2016, 09:10   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Damn... in my head this Thread is starting to get mixed up with the "Is CF losing its way..?? Thread..
Quote:

I see another 'Outing' on the Horizon...
We can only hope. I wish folks would just spell stuff out rather than state "certain posters are rude."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:01   #26

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Regarding the OP, I am especially impressed by, and have used, the tips thread on SSBs and HF radios in that forum. I support the idea.

Regarding the more-than-implication that Europeans are better than Americans, is that really helpful to this thread? Take it to the "Bar".
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote