Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 10:52   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The computation is simple convert to euros then add vat on the combined cost and freight. There's no duty.

You can also buy them( fujinon) In The UK , or holland if you want euro pricing.

Dave
Old 15-08-2011, 11:47   #47

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409
Re: Time for New Binoculars - Any Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The computation is simple convert to euros then add vat on the combined cost and freight. There's no duty.

You can also buy them( fujinon) In The UK , or holland if you want euro pricing.

Dave
Hi Dave
Thanks for this. Do you have any recommmendations for a good supplier as to price and/or service?
Thanks again
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 13:50   #48
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Monk in the uk, google will find them. But if your buying a major brand like fujinon, I'd just search for the cheapest online pricing

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 10:53   #49

I just bought the Canon 18x50 IS for a trip to Yellowstone. They are amazing. We were able to see wolves clearly that were not visible to the naked eye.
jdill2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02   #50

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

DO NOT go to Wal-Mart and buy a $49.95 pair...
Do when buying Binoculars; Try them in the store and compare with more than one brand and type... Test them, test them and test them before you buy.....
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44   #51

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've used Fujinon for years and think they are the best. We have the Polaris 7x50 model and the Techno Stabi 14x40. Don't buy cheap binoculars, they aren't worth it.
Old 06-10-2011, 17:19   #52

An important consideration with binoculars is the size of the exit pupil. The larger it is, the brighter and better it is for viewing. This is easy to calculate, just divide the second number by the first number (i.e. 7 x 42 binoculars have a pupil size of 6). I wouldn't use anything less than a 5. Usually, the larger the objective lens (the second number which refers to the big front lens element), the brighter the image. This is of immense benefit when using them at twilight or near total darkness.
Of course, for the marine enviroment, it is important to have ones which are sealed, purged and filled with nitrogen to prevent moisture from getting inside and degrading the image quality. A built-in compass is great idea also. Steiner, Fujinon, Nikon and Canon offer some good products with all of these features. Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and Minox are probably the most expensive but for most practical purposes you don't need to fork over a couple grand to get something descent. $800 to 1200 is a good price range to aim for.
Another option is a monocular. K.V.H. makes a 5 x 30 monocular with a built-in compass, rangefinder and clock. A fantastic navigational tool. Very compact too. It fits in the palm of your hand and your coat pocket.
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 17:59   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Time for New Binoculars - Any Recommendations ?

Had my Tasco Offshore 54's for several years, 7X50mm, compass with light option, best investment I have made in binoc's... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:48   #54

The other consideration is weight. The bigger the objective lens, the heavier they are. I have seen some pretty big and heavy binoculars, i.e. 20 x 80, but they are primarily designed for stargazing and are usually mounted on tripods, when in use. Anything too big for handholding can be tiring to use and carry around your neck. 50mm or 54mm is as big as I would go.
Old 06-10-2011, 19:49   #55

My Barska 7x50's w/ rangefinder & compass do the trick just fine. Nice solid affordable set of eyes that perform well.

http://www.wayfair.com/Barska-7x50-WP-Deep-Sea-Binoculars-with-Internal-Rangefinder-and-Compass-Individual-Focus-FLOATS-FMC-Blue-AB10798-L2042-K~BRQ1119.html?refid=PG49-BRQ1119
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 20:09   #56

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We've used Fujinon for years and think they are the best. We have the Polaris 7x50 model and the Techno Stabi 14x40. Don't buy cheap binoculars, they aren't worth it.
I don't agree. For years I've used some Bushnell 10x25s that I bought for $16 a pair at Target. I've got four or five pairs and they work very well for me. I like the 10x magnification and I like the cheap price. I don't have to worry if I lose a pair.

If you've got money to burn, by all means get the best and enjoy the bright, sharp image they give you. But don't turn up your nose at the cheap ones. Their price/performance ratio is very good.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 21:10   #57
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I don't agree. For years I've used some Bushnell 10x25s that I bought for $16 a pair at Target. I've got four or five pairs and they work very well for me. I like the 10x magnification and I like the cheap price. I don't have to worry if I lose a pair.
Many of the students I take to Baja attempt to get by with Bushnell 10x25s. It's amazing how many pairs of these binoculars don't make the return trip back to the states because they've been broken, or flooded, or they've fogged, or just plain melted in the sun. I don't forbid the use of these disposable binoculars, although I've considered it, but I tell the students in advance not to ask to borrow my Zeiss field glasses when their Bushnells fail.
Old 06-10-2011, 21:18   #58
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I like the idea of a single spyglass/monocular. I have good vision, but a dreadful astigmatism and always wind up closing one eye when using bi's. The mono woulod be lighter, easier to carry and I'd see just as well I bet, since I close the one eye anyway!

great idea.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32   #59

There are several monocular devices available but the K.V.H. Datascope is probably the best one for navigation use. Leica and Leupold make good ones also, but they are only rangefinders, used mostly by hunters and golfers. There is no compass or clock built in like the K.V.H. A rangefinder by itself can still be useful though.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57   #60

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I like the idea of a single spyglass/monocular. I have good vision, but a dreadful astigmatism and always wind up closing one eye when using bi's. The mono woulod be lighter, easier to carry and I'd see just as well I bet, since I close the one eye anyway!

great idea.
That's sort of selfish. Cap one lense for yourself and allow others the use of both lenses.