Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 10:01   #91

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Marina De La Paz what a sorry place, it's sad so many sad and angry people who had wanted to cross oceans and dislike all those who took the time to have a well found boat to cross oceans in.
Funny how two people can go to the same place and come away with different impressions.

Your down river neighbor

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:31   #92

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Repost after deleted (CLEAN VERSION)

Where I am from a "Yachtie" is a derogatory name for the pretentious rich jerks who crowd the docks and anchorages with their huge power and sailboats. They have absolutely no regard for their wake (on land or on the water). Most of the time their huge boat is occupied by no more than a snobby old couple and their yappy little poodle. Nothing pleasures me more than to moor or anchor next to these stuck up yachties and pull out my blue tarp sun shade, start boiling up some hotdogs on my camp stove and completely destroy their scenic view with my floating aesthetic eyesore..

The world needs more sea tramps.
Old 20-09-2011, 13:53   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

In the south Pacific area the term "yottie" (various spellings) refers to a cruising sailor, esp. long term liveaboard types. Not derogatory.

The type of sailor that Piney describes is often referred to as "********". No marine qualifier necessary.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-09-2011, 13:57   #94
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW,

In the south Pacific area the term "yottie" (various spellings) refers to a cruising sailor, esp. long term liveaboard types. Not derogatory.

The type of sailor that Piney describes is often referred to as "********". No marine qualifier necessary.

Cheers,

Jim
in the usa, they are called yachties and have shiney boats and bad attitudes.
they always down mouth pothers whom they THINK havent done as much as they have, without the hassle of researching the facts.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:22   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in the usa, they are called yachties and have shiney boats and bad attitudes.
they always down mouth pothers whom they THINK havent done as much as they have, without the hassle of researching the facts.
I suppose you can substantiate the above opinion with some well researched facts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:48   #96

Boat: Outremer 50S

Was anchored in a pretty little place in the Marquesas. Had it all to ourselves. In comes a 72' gold-plater. "Yachtie" by any definition. The (paid) skipper brings her alongside, says he sees we have the place to ourselves and asks if we would mind if they joined us in the anchorage for the evening. I have every reason to believe that had I said I minded he would have moved on. Then he inquired about how much scope we had out, etc.

Owner came out and invited us over for drinks after they got settled. They (crew and owner) ended up cooking dinner for us (not only did they have a refrigerator, they had refrigerated air), we sat around in the cockpit, eating, drinking, and generally making merry while our own little eyesore floated in the foreground. Oh yeah, also did a couple of loads of laundry in their washer/dryer while we were aboard.

Next morning they departed quietly without disturbing us in our foggy sleep. Just goes to show you, you can't judge a book by its cover.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:51   #97

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
Repost after deleted (CLEAN VERSION)

Where I am from a "Yachtie" is a derogatory name for the pretentious rich jerks who crowd the docks and anchorages with their huge power and sailboats. They have absolutely no regard for their wake (on land or on the water). Most of the time their huge boat is occupied by no more than a snobby old couple and their yappy little poodle. Nothing pleasures me more than to moor or anchor next to these stuck up yachties and pull out my blue tarp sun shade, start boiling up some hotdogs on my camp stove and completely destroy their scenic view with my floating aesthetic eyesore..

The world needs more sea tramps.
... and soon may your eyesore find it's place in Davey Jones 'slip'.

The only difference I can see between you and the folk you disparage is you're too lame-ass to do it with money. The attitude is identical....

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:54   #98

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

And while on the subject of sea tramps, or floating derelicts.... these are the dickheads that make life difficult for the rest of us, because they're the ones that force the authorities to take actions that catch the rest of us in the net...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:03   #99
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
And while on the subject of sea tramps, or floating derelicts.... these are the dickheads that make life difficult for the rest of us, because they're the ones that force the authorities to take actions that catch the rest of us in the net...
Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:16   #100
CLOD

Boat: none

Dickheads..............I'm having Navy boot camp flashbacks!
Old 20-09-2011, 15:23   #101
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Reel it in Boys, Yer crackin yer own selves up...

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 15:50   #102

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

AARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! PASS ME ANOTHER CABIN BOY, JIM!!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 20:19   #103

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I don't know about down your way, but up here marina/anchoring rules have been getting tighter and tighter for the last 25 years. Now the pressure's on haulout. We've gone from over 100 to 70 in Washington in the last 10 years! Good thing those derelicts end up in the garbage pile quite regularly. You don't have to be rich to have a little dignity about yourself or courtesy towards others.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 21:15   #104

Boat: PETERSON 44
What I've found is when chips are down and we've all been been beaten up our pants are down and the cover is blown. We man up and become people of the sea once sea men now people o the sea. It's the other times when the waist band is high and everything is annoying that annoys me.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 21:21   #105

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

Funny, I lived aboard for 19 years on a 1980 Hunter 33 (new?old?somewhere in between?) She was a Cherubini design, from the original line of Hunters. Cherubini was a very respected designer, whose Cherubini 44 was and is very well thought of. The Hunter 33 was an evolution of another design of his, one of his favorites, called a Raider, I believe. His own family had one. The Cherubini Hunters were a very different design from the Hunters of today, but they were built to a price then, too.

Anyway, I racked up around 20,000 offshore miles, mostly singlehanded, on that boat, and had a ball most of the time, although it was not without its dramatic moments. During that time my sailing included most of the California coast and lots of time in the Sea of Cortez. Hunters of that era looked a lot like Rangers, or Islanders or Cals. Some were built very well, some medium, and some poorly. Mine was medium, but six years of bashing around the SF Bay found its weaknesses, which I beefed up.

I sail a bigger, beefier cat these days, a lot of it offshore, but still own the Hunter, and think of her quite fondly. I would have taken her just about anywhere, when she was my home, but not without care and attention. Still, she was a very solid boat. What I remember most clearly about cruising aboard her was the great number of boats that only got underway to make a passage of some sort. In between, they just stayed on their anchor, or mooring, or in their slips. This included lots of big boats, and lots of older boats, including lots of pretty old classics, that were just too much trouble to take out for a fun afternoon. My motto was that I was always ready to sail in 15 minutes, and I would go out for lots of daysails, in between the passages to here and there. I often took guests from the big old beefy classics. Then again, I love to sail, so I always felt that a cruising boat, above all, should be fun and nimble and easy to sail. The Hunter was that. Oh, the other guys on those bigger, older boats seemed to spend a lot more time fixing them, too.......

But, anyone who feels that NO one who sails seriously sails a Hunter (or something from just about any other successful production builder) has his or her blinders on, or maybe is not out sailing enough to see the others that are doing so.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote