Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 15:36   #16
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ettalong. NSW. Australia.
Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33
Posts: 18
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

I remember Comanche last year heading out of Sydney Harbour and showing her potential speed with a following breeze. Awesome sight.
__________________

__________________
OzClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 15:36   #17
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Reasonably quick motor sailers.
So, a boat that uses the 'wind' to propel it, is a motor sailor? Interesting.

Would it not also be true that according to your logic here, ANY vessel that uses 'sails' to propel it, but also has an engine on board, is a 'motor sailer' ? CF must have very few 'sailors' then.




Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to 'sailing' and we probably think alike. But, I certainly can't dismiss these large vessels that are propelled solely by the wind as sail boats.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 16:36   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 170
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

The egos of many of the racers are bigger than the boats.
__________________
"The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness."
Joseph Conrad
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 17:29   #19
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,748
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
you are joking! only condomarans motorsail.

why multis are not allowed to participate ? Some kind of racism against multis ?
Apparently the reason they give is that they are not safe enough for this type of event due to the sea conditions.

That is rather lame...and I agree that it is a senseless argument. Cats and trimarans are allowed on many other races and I would like to see how they would perform on this one, specially cruiser racers, like Catanas, Outremer or Gunboat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 17:48   #20
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Apparently the reason they give is that they are not safe enough for this type of event due to the sea conditions.

That is rather lame...and I agree that it is a senseless argument. Cats and trimarans are allowed on many other races and I would like to see how they would perform on this one, specially cruiser racers, like Catanas, Outremer or Gunboat.

I think that's a big leap to say 'safety' is the reason. The CYC have not stated a reason in the past 12 months other than it's a 'mono' race for mono's. Which I think the same answer will be given if a group of 'motor boats' wanted to participate.

Unfortunately, with the current number of record breaking entries I can't see Multi's being admitted for a while. But eventually, to remain relevant I had no doubt they will be. But for now, the official reason is because it's traditionally been a race for 'mono's.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 18:00   #21
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,748
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think that's a big leap to say 'safety' is the reason. The CYC have not stated a reason in the past 12 months other than it's a 'mono' race for mono's. Which I think the same answer will be given if a group of 'motor boats' wanted to participate.

Unfortunately, with the current number of record breaking entries I can't see Multi's being admitted for a while. But eventually, to remain relevant I had no doubt they will be. But for now, the official reason is because it's traditionally been a race for 'mono's.
I don't guess they have changed opinion and that was the reason they had provided on past editions.

Motorboats have nothing to do with it. That is a race for sailboats and all sailboats should be admitted, if they are deemed safe to make the race.

Multihulls are more recent than monohulls so it is normal that past editions have monohulls, even if on the more recent past editions they don't have mulis because they don't allow it.

Traditionalism at its worst equals to conservatorism. There are a circumnavigation race that excludes all boats but full keel boats. About as bad as excluding any type of sailboat from a sail race.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 18:20   #22
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, a boat that uses the 'wind' to propel it, is a motor sailor? Interesting.

Would it not also be true that according to your logic here, ANY vessel that uses 'sails' to propel it, but also has an engine on board, is a 'motor sailer' ? CF must have very few 'sailors' then.




Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to 'sailing' and we probably think alike. But, I certainly can't dismiss these large vessels that are propelled solely by the wind as sail boats.
Its not about having an engine on board - its about the fact that they HAVE to run the engine full time while racing. The reality with canting keel boats is that they have to run the motor al the time to have hydraulic pressure to move the keel. Should they have an engine issue they will be severely comprised and indeed as was the case in 2012 (I think) one of the leaders withdrew citing itv was unsafe to continue without a working engine. Certainly even if the keel was pumped back to centre their ability to race and go quick and carry full sail is very very compromised.

Its my view that any boat than cannot race if it engine stops is clearly not a sail boat.
__________________
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 22:27   #23
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't guess they have changed opinion and that was the reason they had provided on past editions.

Motorboats have nothing to do with it. That is a race for sailboats and all sailboats should be admitted, if they are deemed safe to make the race.

Multihulls are more recent than monohulls so it is normal that past editions have monohulls, even if on the more recent past editions they don't have mulis because they don't allow it.

Traditionalism at its worst equals to conservatorism. There are a circumnavigation race that excludes all boats but full keel boats. About as bad as excluding any type of sailboat from a sail race.
They have moved away from claiming multihulls are not safe enough. Not surprisingly they have to as their 'not safe enough' arguments are becoming embarrassing to them.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. I'd have no problems with multihulls being included. But the reason they are now stating is because it's a 'mono' hull race and if multihulls want to run their own race, then there welcome to it.

You saying 'motorboats' have nothing to do with it, is no different to them saying 'multihulls' have nothing to do with it. YOU say, 'all' sail boats should be included, and motor boat people will say, 'all boats' should be entitled to race in it.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 22:28   #24
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Its not about having an engine on board - its about the fact that they HAVE to run the engine full time while racing. The reality with canting keel boats is that they have to run the motor al the time to have hydraulic pressure to move the keel. Should they have an engine issue they will be severely comprised and indeed as was the case in 2012 (I think) one of the leaders withdrew citing itv was unsafe to continue without a working engine. Certainly even if the keel was pumped back to centre their ability to race and go quick and carry full sail is very very compromised.

Its my view that any boat than cannot race if it engine stops is clearly not a sail boat.
Yeah, well that's why you and me don't get to make the rules for this race
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 22:57   #25
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,327
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

It seems that having the engine running allows the boat to sail faster and point higher. Why not couple the engine to a prop and be done with it
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 22:59   #26
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It seems that having the engine running allows the boat to sail faster and point higher. Why not couple the engine to a prop and be done with it
Because then the purely motor boats would be in on it and take all the glory.

Is the crew of a motor boat, a sailor?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 23:50   #27
Registered User
 
clownfishsydney's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran
Posts: 304
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

I understand that a certain ex-V8 Supercar driver is having a catamaran built and intends to leave Sydney Harbour at the same time as the racing yachts and attempt to get to Hobart before them. Not sure when it will be ready, but will be interesting to see how he goes.
__________________
Michael and Kelly
Catlypso - Web Site
Lightwave 38' cat
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:08   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,091
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I understand that a certain ex-V8 Supercar driver is having a catamaran built and intends to leave Sydney Harbour at the same time as the racing yachts and attempt to get to Hobart before them. Not sure when it will be ready, but will be interesting to see how he goes.
cat is not car. you do need real skills to handle this stuff. it can get dangerous going at 40 kn.

I will pray for him.
__________________
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,091
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Reasonably quick motor sailers.
this is disappointing. why dont we say what it is. This race is more like retro stuff. Memories of glorious 19 century. If organizers do not change will step in retro world.

There is no way monos will ever have around the world record again. Single hander did it in less than 50 days on a cat. No motor. Couple of solar panels only.
__________________
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:20   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,091
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Apparently the reason they give is that they are not safe enough for this type of event due to the sea conditions.

That is rather lame...and I agree that it is a senseless argument. Cats and trimarans are allowed on many other races and I would like to see how they would perform on this one, specially cruiser racers, like Catanas, Outremer or Gunboat.
this particular race has lots of square seas and this would favour monos especially in lighter winds.

would be pride boost for mono-ists, for sure.
__________________

__________________
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sydney

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Hobart to Sydney in late May 2015 Amnesia II Crew Archives 12 17-04-2015 15:01
Crew Available: Sydney to Hobart/Melbourne to Hobart. stoffer123 Crew Archives 0 25-11-2012 21:52
And the Sydney Hobart winner is----- Factor General Sailing Forum 6 04-01-2009 15:01
Sydney to Hobart 07 Factor General Sailing Forum 60 02-01-2008 04:38
The Rules for a cruisers Sydney to Hobart ! cooper General Sailing Forum 2 28-12-2007 04:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.