Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2008, 17:01   #1

St. Louis area play boat

I am a beginner. I aquired this hull as part of a deal I did primarily to get the trailer. The old boat it was upside down on top of was too badly rotted to be repaired. So now I have a Y-flyer rig and sails with this hull. The Y-flyer group requires that a set of plans be purchased, and that combination glass wood boats be approved from the beginning. Since I am not interested in formal one design type racing, I am not sure the class legal plans are really needed in my case. I am thinking big cat rig for most of the time and a sliding bowsprit for those times when I want to fly a jib. Boom tent maybe. Fishing and playing are this boats main jobs.
How about it gentle people? What does the perfect day boat need to have?

Beyond the 18 foot length and the flat bottom, nothing has been decided. I am considering a dagger board type centerboard with about 40 pounds on the bottom using a trailer jack to raise and lower it so that it can be cranked up and down pretty easily. A simple board would likely be fine since the boat should be pretty stable.
Anyway, lets hear some ideas!
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 05:40   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Given that Y-Flyer Plans and builder's bulletins with build information and tips are only $85.00, why reinvent the wheel?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 10:17   #3

Is the Y-flyer the perfect day boat for this area? I don't know. The one that came with this one was from the 50's and the bottom hull, dagger board well, deck, bulkheads, and both sides were suffering from bad rot. The design seemed very rigid and solid. The one I cut up was very well built, and appeared to be made of three ply panels for the most part.
The Y-flyer website says that if you want to be class legal that they have to approve the design of a combination wood fiberglass hull in advance. I did not make this hull, and I do not even know if it is with in tolerances to use with the Y-flyer plans. I figure if I want a class legal boat, that I will buy one. There is one that needs work that I may get anyway.
How about raising the front deck and building a recess where the jib can be stored below deck ready to be raised. A fishing/sun deck instead of a place to pile the jib. A two rod trolling setup will be needed for fishing. Side floatation and more storage. I am going to use it as a boat.
Since I do have to make the parts myself, I figured to make it mine.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote