Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 15:48   #1

SSB Installation

Trying to get an idea of what the average cost to install a SSB radio would be.
Installing on a 48ft monohull sailboat.
Jereth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 16:23   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: SSB Installation

You don't say where you are but this would be a starting point....
ActiveCaptain Product of the Week
Old 25-11-2015, 16:30   #3

I am on the west coast of the USA. I am trying to find the install price, not the equipment price. I know this is varied, just trying to get an idea. If someone already has all the equipment what would be a average price to have it professionally installed?
Jereth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 21:53   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

We are trying to complete an install that started ten years ago????? So aside from the equipment cost above, we have backstay modification and rigging charges, mount and cable the antenna tuner, mount and power the SSB, mount wire the ground plane...remaining parts and labor costs look to be $1,200. Does not include license or Pactor modem. We are currently in analysis paralysis as Sat phones , and sat-fi tech and pricing are gobbling ssb capabilities daily.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:40   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereth13 View Post
I am on the west coast of the USA. I am trying to find the install price, not the equipment price. I know this is varied, just trying to get an idea. If someone already has all the equipment what would be a average price to have it professionally installed?
I installed mine myself. I can give you a guess, but there are a lot of variables.

A competnen installer working on a boat that is cleared for actiion (meaning you know where you want it installed and have cleared out everything so he can get to work) and assuming you have all the materials, should be able to do this is about 2 days (big "if" here. Are you using a KISS counterpoise? running a copper weave strap to a bronze through hull? going full guns and laying a copper foil counterpoise throughtout the interior hull of the boat?)

My 2 day estimate assumes a copper strap to through hull or a KISS (not everyone believes a KISS works)
So if we say 2 days - what does he charge per hour (I don't know what west coast usa hourly charges are) and there will be some extra materials etc.

The 2 day estimate also assumes you are willing to help (there will be times/places where havng two sets of hands is big advantage)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 01:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Don't think the size or type matters. The location and type of antenna are a more valid discussion point !
Old 26-11-2015, 02:58   #7

why are you having someone else do the install, its not complicated and doing it yourself will make fault finding later simple. my icom 802 was easy just mount the auto antenna tuner close as possible to the aerial and the radio as close to the power supply as possible. Cost = your time.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:32   #8
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Agree. DIY!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 18:14   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Here's a vote for doing it yourself with the kit and excellent instructions from Gary at Dockside radio Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies. . He sells you everything you need plus a very good step by step instruction book.

I did it and it took me two days. This was on a boat that already had an insulated backstay and a dynaplate installed. Gary will also give you an hour of free advice on the phone if you run into problems. Very nice guy and a sailor himself who has installed many ssb's but who no longer wants to crawl around in cramped spaces. His instruction book was good enough that I didnt need the phone advice.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 16:28   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Assuming you have the antenna and ground (or are using a KISS) installed on the boat, it should take a pro about a day to install the electronics. Also assumes you are mounting the control panel at the nav station yourself. In the SF Bay area this is about $1k.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, ssb