Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 11:26   #1

Slip rental in Socal

First time poster checking in with a question. I'm in the early stages of possibly buying a sailboat. Perhaps something in the 35' range. I'm thinking I'd keep the boat in southern California, but need an education on where might be the best place to keep it. Can anyone help with this? Prices, waiting list, etc..

Do all of the marinas have waiting list? Cheapest to most expensive? If you buy a boat, is there anyway the slip rental might transfer with the purchase or are you kicked out of the marina if there isn't an open slip?
Utah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:12   #2

Re: Slip rental in Socal

Just browsing on the internet, a 35' slip at Marina Del Rey runs about $800 a month. 40' $1000-1100.

Is this rather typical?

Dana Point around $17 a foot? But there's a waiting list.
Old 23-08-2019, 13:26   #3

As another example, I'm in the Port of Los Angeles (Wilmington), which is in an industrial area, so nowhere near as nice as MDR, and I'm paying $11/ft monthly, i.e., $375 for a 34ft. sloop w/ no overhangs.

A lot of information can be collected by searching terms like "marinas in Southern California," then research each hit, but some you have to call to find their prices.
Old 23-08-2019, 13:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
As another example, I'm in the Port of Los Angeles (Wilmington), which is in an industrial area, so nowhere near as nice as MDR, and I'm paying $11/ft monthly, i.e., $375 for a 34ft. sloop w/ no overhangs.

A lot of information can be collected by searching terms like "marinas in Southern California," then research each hit, but some you have to call to find their prices.
Yacht Haven Marina? That seems a lot more reasonable. Thanks.
Old 23-08-2019, 13:58   #5

It looks like Cabrillo Way Marina is around $14-15 a foot? I'm not sure how old the info is.
Old 23-08-2019, 21:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Oceanside Harbor is $14 a foot for overall totall length of boat so you pay for a bowsprit, etc.. Long waiting list for 30' and larger boat. 29' and below waiting list was less than a year.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 00:34   #7
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

yes marina del rey averages $750 for a 35-36 ft boat. plenty of spaces generally no waiting but recent (2yr) survey and insurance required.

https://www.visitmarinadelrey.com/sailing/boat-slips
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:08   #8

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Utah, the least expensive slips are going to be in and around San Pedro, as mentioned above. Next you have to go north to Ventura County, either Channel Islands Harbor or Ventura Harbor. Either is much nicer than San Pedro, and IMHO the sailing is better, too. I'm in Ventura West Marina, and the 35' rate there is over $200 less than MDR, with no waiting at the moment. The rates just went up in May, so not likely to increase for at least three years, historically.

You haven't mentioned where you're going to be working, living, etc., and if you haven't lived in SoCal before, these are likely to be determining factors in where you keep your boat. Cheaper slip rent may not be worth the extra time it takes to get to the boat. Long trips to the boat, due to distance, traffic or both, can lead to not sailing very much, which in turn leads to selling the boat.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:08   #9

Boat: Catalina 34

City of Long Beach is pretty good. Not as cheap as I think Wilmington, San Pedro, but it's a nice area. You start at Shoreline and can move to Alamitos Bay after a short waiting period.
Good luck on Dana Point. We were on a 5 year wait for a 35' slip and decided to move the boat to LB.
Newport Beach, horrendously expensive.
Southern Cal is a big area so you have to decide what area works best for you.
C
Old 24-08-2019, 09:09   #10

$750 plus electricity, is realistic in MDR for 35ft. After renovation all slip price went up. But all brand new, there are plenty of 35ft slips there.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:46   #11

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

I am in a 35’ slip at Harbor Island West Marina in San Diego. I pay about $648.00 per month with the electricity. Great location across from the airport. Makes it easy for friends and family to fly in to go sailing with me. Weather is great year round.

Al
S/V St. Thomas
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 10:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah1 View Post
First time poster checking in with a question. I'm in the early stages of possibly buying a sailboat. Perhaps something in the 35' range. I'm thinking I'd keep the boat in southern California, but need an education on where might be the best place to keep it. Can anyone help with this? Prices, waiting list, etc..

Do all of the marinas have waiting list? Cheapest to most expensive? If you buy a boat, is there anyway the slip rental might transfer with the purchase or are you kicked out of the marina if there isn't an open slip?
Utah1, I'd have to agree with Brewgyver in that it's very important where you will be located in Socal. If at all possible, I would also say the Ventura county marinas (Channel Island Harbor and Ventura Harbor) which are about 7 miles apart have lower rates, no waiting lists at present and offer much much better sailing than Marina Del Rey. These are both lovely harbors with far less crowding than MDR, no auto parking problems etc. We have the channel islands with dozens of anchorages within a passage less than MDR to Catalina and better wind! I can say this because I belong to a sailing club which has a fleet of 18 sailboats in MDR and 19 sailboats in Channel Islands and although I can sail from either harbor, due to the traffic and parking issues I prefer the Channel Islands Harbor.
hjkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 11:04   #13

Links to San Diego marinas. Chula Vista Marina will be the least expensive but far down the bay, Pier32 also not as expensive and not as far down.

https://www.portofsandiego.org/comin...go-bay-marinas

https://www.pier32marina.com/boat-slips/
Trader Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 12:01   #14

Boat: Islander 36

You don’t mention any plans to live aboard. If you do, that really changes your options radically.
Old 24-08-2019, 12:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
You don’t mention any plans to live aboard. If you do, that really changes your options radically.
Checkout the marina's in Channel Islands Harbor(Oxnard, Ca) if that location works. Wet slips will be somewhat less there than in LA or San Diego.

If you can go with a boat 31' or less LOA and 8.50' or less beam and she has her own trailer you can keep her in dry storage at MDR run by LA City Parks with the mast up. But you will have to launch her yourself with your own vehicle. I think the cost will be about a 1/3 the cost of a wet slip in MDR.

Similar to the dry storage described above in MDR, The Boat Yard in Oxnard offers dry slips(with mast up), if the boat has it's own trailer plus they will launch and receive all for very reasonable prices. But they have different limits including on LOA, Beam, Displacement, design of boat, etc than MDR dry storage above. My impression is it is determined specific boat by specific boat if they can accommodate a boat or not.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal