Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05   #1

Boat: Moody 54
Sell sailboat Florida/ Rio Dulce Guatemala

When would be best time to sell 52 ft ready to go sailboat in either Florida, Rio Dulce Guatemala, or east coast Mexico?
Thanks
Sea jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:21   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Sell sailboat Florida/ Rio Dulce Guatemala

The problem ,imho, with selling in Guatemala or Mexico is that the potential buyers who will make the trek to see the boat is much smaller than those that would be looking in Florida.

As far as time, unless it’s spectacular and priced well below market it’ll be on the market long enough to make the time of listing almost irrelevant.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 16:57   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Im not sure the time, assuming month of the year, has much impact...considering its not uncommon to take a long time, like year or more, to sell a boat.

Hypothetically, the most likely time to close a sale might be a few months before start of cruising season...this way someone could in theory buy the boat, get ready, and go!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 17:26   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The problem ,imho, with selling in Guatemala or Mexico is that the potential buyers who will make the trek to see the boat is much smaller than those that would be looking in Florida.

As far as time, unless it’s spectacular and priced well below market it’ll be on the market long enough to make the time of listing almost irrelevant.
Yes, ease of travel access is not one of the Rio's strong points.

To compensate for that a friend of mine included a $1K credit at closing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:26   #5

Please put pictures/specs up for all to see inc. price regards David
drcot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:45   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

If it’s in Florida, I’ll take a look :-). I’m in the market for a boat to replace my Morgan 462 that was crushed.
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:01   #7

Boat: Boatless

Fall in FL, Sept/Oct/Nov

East coast of Mexico or the Rio Dulce? Where boats go to die.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

following
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 15:42   #9

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

In far away countries from the main world richest economies, it is a good idea to offer a refund for the buyer travel trip if the sales is closed.

If you look at the boats for sales on Yacht World that are located outside of those countries and follow them for a few month/years, you'll find out they stay on the market for a while (meaning years) unless the price include a good discount.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
If it’s in Florida, I’ll take a look :-). I’m in the market for a boat to replace my Morgan 462 that was crushed.
How was it crushed ? Sound like a story
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
How was it crushed ? Sound like a story
Long, and sordid, story indeed. Especially the aftermath where I got totally screwed by the other guy's lawyer and insurance company (yeah, I'm talking about you Jonathan Skipp of Horr, Novak, and Skipp in Miami, and Steamship Mutual in London). Story better told over lots of beer ;-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2019, 08:05   #12

Quote:
Long, and sordid, story indeed. Especially the aftermath where I got totally screwed by the other guy's lawyer and insurance company (yeah, I'm talking about you Jonathan Skipp of Horr, Novak, and Skipp in Miami, and Steamship Mutual in London). Story better told over lots of beer ;-)
Understand completly, I have a couple of boating stories that require mutiple libations before discussion.

But may be you could give us just some direction on how to avoid the screwing you recieved.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
Understand completly, I have a couple of boating stories that require mutiple libations before discussion.

But may be you could give us just some direction on how to avoid the screwing you recieved.
In short, my boat was docked on the New River in Fort Lauderdale, when a 100ft Ocean Alexander motor yacht named "Far Niente", headed upriver, lost control and t-boned my boat, cutting a hole down to the waterline on the starboard side, through the hull, deck, and cabin-top. It broke and bent the mizzen mast, and slammed the port side into the dock, splitting the hull-deck joint for about 10ft. Fortunately she listed to port because of the weight of the bent and broken mizzen, and did not take on any sea water.

After getting her hauled and safe, and various surveys done, the repair estimate was $175k. I figured that the owner, a guy named Charles Beaver, being able to afford a brand-new $12million yacht - it was 2-3 months old when it hit me - would do the decent thing and make things right. Instead he sicced his insurance company and their a$$%#le lawyer on me, who nickel-and-dimed me on every single thing. The law let them get away with paying me only fair market value, which did not begin to begin to compensate us for the documented upgrades we'd done to the boat, let alone the thousands of hours of our blood, sweat, and tears.

My biggest mistake was the insurance policy I bought, which was a cash-value policy. My insurance company did what I paid them to do, so I can't blame them. In hindsight I should have had an agreed-value policy, and placed that value at enough to properly cover our losses. Then my insurance company would have paid me, and then gone after the at-fault party for the money.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52   #14

Quote:
In short, my boat was docked on the New River in Fort Lauderdale, when a 100ft Ocean Alexander motor yacht named "Far Niente", headed upriver, lost control and t-boned my boat, cutting a hole down to the waterline on the starboard side, through the hull, deck, and cabin-top. It broke and bent the mizzen mast, and slammed the port side into the dock, splitting the hull-deck joint for about 10ft. Fortunately she listed to port because of the weight of the bent and broken mizzen, and did not take on any sea water.

After getting her hauled and safe, and various surveys done, the repair estimate was $175k. I figured that the owner, a guy named Charles Beaver, being able to afford a brand-new $12million yacht - it was 2-3 months old when it hit me - would do the decent thing and make things right. Instead he sicced his insurance company and their a$$%#le lawyer on me, who nickel-and-dimed me on every single thing. The law let them get away with paying me only fair market value, which did not begin to begin to compensate us for the documented upgrades we'd done to the boat, let alone the thousands of hours of our blood, sweat, and tears.

My biggest mistake was the insurance policy I bought, which was a cash-value policy. My insurance company did what I paid them to do, so I can't blame them. In hindsight I should have had an agreed-value policy, and placed that value at enough to properly cover our losses. Then my insurance company would have paid me, and then gone after the at-fault party for the money.

-David
So thats the answer, Insure your boat for cost of repairs not fair market value of materials and equepment. Is this available in the market place ?
Do they have build back cost policies in the boating world like they do for
homes and buildings?

Tags
boat, florida, Guatemala, sail, sailboat