Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 22:36   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Barra, sensationalism is a great thing the media uses to make profit. The facts usually don't get in the way. At least here in the US that is true. I don't know much about your media and how they operate. Hopefully they have a little more ethics than our media outlets.

Wearing that shirt would probably get the same results in some seafood restaurants in Japan. Near me, in San Francisco, a restaurant was busted a while back for serving whale meat, a product that is banned in the US. I would think this restaurant would have a problem with it also. I have donated to and will continue to support SS. Whales scare the hell out of me when I am sailing. I had one surface about 50 feet from us off the central California coast last November. I figure I am in their territory so I take my chances. I was pleased to see the money SS received.

We can spent trillions to protect our oil interests all over the world, but very little to enforce laws, that are on the books, to protection our oceans and the creatures in them. SS is working really hard to help, you can't fault them for that.
Personally whales dont scare me - they arent trying to eat me

The developed worlds fishing fleets are currently raping to the point of collapse the pacific ocean in various parts where less developed nations havnt the resources to enforce rule of law and protect their local fisheries. This is overlooked by most of the media as "too hard, too complicated"

I would prefer to see the new SS boat employed stopping this type of illegal fishing but after the sharks protest agenda I am sadly far more cynical as to SS motivations - they would much rather protest on an issue that can grab headlines and donations in the western world and leave the big issues in the too hard basket.
Old 26-01-2015, 22:43   #17

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

man did this disintegrate quickly. 21 minutes. I wonder if it's a record.
Water under the bridge, let's get back to the original topic.....

So will this new boat have a gas or a diesel engine do you think?

Also, does it have a deep fryer?
Old 26-01-2015, 22:57   #18

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Barra, I think you will find that SS is doing exactly that. Stopping illegal gill net fishing in the southern oceans. They have just recently removed massive gill nets that were used to catch toothfish which the taking of has been banned since 2004 and have pursued to offender to hell and gone, clear back to Africa. Toothfish, I don't think I am afraid of!
Old 26-01-2015, 23:02   #19

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Diesel for sure, deep fryer, probably not, I would think the crew would be mostly vegetarians, or vegans. Of course there is always French frys and deep fried mushrooms. Man, I love those things. Maybe a deep fryer would be nice. I would bet over 30 knots. The color scheme sucks, black and white.
Old 26-01-2015, 23:02   #20

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
We just want to remove(see:kill) large ones from populated areas that are showing an interest in nibbling on people before they kill them.
This...

Quote:
I am pro sea life conversation too
And this... Hmm?

Quote:
My opinion counts cos im in the water with them.

Seems simple eh but everyone has an opinion its just that in my view those that arent at risk dont have an opinion that matters. Simple
[QUOTE=Barra;1734191 ie in this case its easy to be all pro conservation in your opinion if you or your loved ones are at no risk of attack

from the perspective of people with no real personal risk in this issue.
[/QUOTE]

Your seem to understand the risk, but don't like it's consequences. Sometimes you have to pay to play. Don't like them, don't swim with them. Seems pretty logical.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 26-01-2015, 23:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Water under the bridge, let's get back to the original topic.....

So will this new boat have a gas or a diesel engine do you think?

Also, does it have a deep fryer?
I have seen a Damen built vessel, nice hulls for sure. It will look slick, and probably be diesel if not diesel electric.

I think it's nuts they got the donation, I hope they use some of that money to pay for competent crew(mainly the master). I have respect for what they stand for, but I can't stand behind the idiots that ran that ship before. They made mariners look like a bunch of idiots, and the captain put people who had never been on a boat before in danger.

Other than that, I hope they don't try to ram the Japanese with the new boat! One day a sub is going to "accidentally" surface underneath it.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 26-01-2015, 23:09   #22

http://gcaptain.com/sea-shepherd-hea...nning-jackpot/

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 26-01-2015, 23:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
This...

And this... Hmm?

Your seem to understand the risk, but don't like it's consequences. Sometimes you have to pay to play. Don't like them, don't swim with them. Seems pretty logical.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Typed by someone with nothing at risk but plenty of superficial opinion nonetheless. You guys remove your gators from populated areas - whats the difference?

Good to see Im getting through to someone
Old 27-01-2015, 00:18   #24

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I have seen a Damen built vessel, nice hulls for sure. It will look slick, and probably be diesel if not diesel electric.

I think it's nuts they got the donation, I hope they use some of that money to pay for competent crew(mainly the master). I have respect for what they stand for, but I can't stand behind the idiots that ran that ship before. They made mariners look like a bunch of idiots, and the captain put people who had never been on a boat before in danger.

Other than that, I hope they don't try to ram the Japanese with the new boat! One day a sub is going to "accidentally" surface underneath it.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
No person in Sea Sheperd is paid at any level. They are all volunteers.
All crew, sign an acknowledge that their lives may be put in danger. That's the nature of what they do.
And I hope the Japaneese don't ram them!

But I doubt the new vessel will be built for that sort of confrontation. It seems they want a search and locate vessel.
Old 27-01-2015, 00:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Barra, I think you will find that SS is doing exactly that. Stopping illegal gill net fishing in the southern oceans. They have just recently removed massive gill nets that were used to catch toothfish which the taking of has been banned since 2004 and have pursued to offender to hell and gone, clear back to Africa. Toothfish, I don't think I am afraid of!
And interestingly enough all the Australian government would do would point out that SS is breaking the law by lifting the nets, 'the illegal Nets'!

And New Zealand navy, we're so effective that when poachers refused them permission to board their vessel the navy said, 'oh, ok, we won't then'. Really effective.
Old 27-01-2015, 01:17   #26

Quote:
Apparently Sea Shepherd has received it's biggest ever donation. 12.8 Million Euros.
Pretty much what the NT waste in recycling some garbage. Same waste, same garbage.
Old 27-01-2015, 01:22   #27

Quote:
Typed by someone with nothing at risk but plenty of superficial opinion nonetheless. You guys remove your gators from populated areas - whats the difference?

Good to see Im getting through to someone
We remove them for population control not because someone gets bit by one from swimming in the bayou with them. We also harvest the gator for resources, can't exactly do that with sharks. The difference is your plan is aimless and knee-jerk. We don't remove them for the sake of it because your unfounded statistics of sharks eating everyone in Australia.

From your government:

http://www.environment.gov.au/marine...species/sharks

" Shark attack

Many Australians are concerned about the risk of shark attack. However, fatal shark attacks occur relatively infrequently in Australian waters - over the last 50 years there have been 53 fatal attacks, which is approximately one fatal attack per year.

There are some easy and commonsense precautions to take that can help reduce the risk of a shark attack. This risk minimisation advice is reproduced from the Australian Shark Attack File.

Swim at beaches that are patrolled by Surf Life Savers.Do not swim, dive or surf where dangerous sharks are known to congregate.Always swim, dive or surf with other people.Do not swim in dirty or turbid water.Avoid swimming well offshore, near deep channels, at river mouths or along drop-offs to deeper water.If schooling fish start to behave erratically or congregate in large numbers, leave the water.Do not swim with pets and domestic animals.Look carefully before jumping into the water from a boat or wharf.Do not swim a dusk or at night.Do not swim near people fishing or spear fishing.If a shark is sighted in the area leave the water as quickly and calmly as possible.

For more information on shark attacks, risk minimisation, statistics and maps, please see:

the Australian Shark Attack File (ASAF)*(link is external)International Shark Attack File (ISAF)*"

Not to mention some sharks are endangered or at risk of being so.. Let's kill them all in the name of surfing and nothing else. Right, ban

Quote:
No person in Sea Sheperd is paid at any level. They are all volunteers.
All crew, sign an acknowledge that their lives may be put in danger. That's the nature of what they do.
And I hope the Japaneese don't ram them!

But I doubt the new vessel will be built for that sort of confrontation. It seems they want a search and locate vessel.
I know they are volunteers, but I think the core crew should be paid so they can get competent people, ie master, chief engineer, mate.

I see what your saying but unnecessary danger to inexperienced crew is ridiculous. They should also volunteer for proper training before signing on. But yea, search and locate would be ideal.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 27-01-2015, 01:51   #28

Quote:
We remove them for population control not because someone gets bit by one from swimming in the bayou with them. We also harvest the gator for resources, can't exactly do that with sharks. The difference is your plan is aimless and knee-jerk. We don't remove them for the sake of it because your unfounded statistics of sharks eating everyone in Australia.

Not to mention some sharks are endangered or at risk of being so.. Let's kill them all in the name of surfing and nothing else. Right, ban

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Have you actually read my posts????

I think not.

I never said lets "kill all the sharks"

or to remove them"for the sake of it"

or that they are "eating everyone"

I said that if particular large sharks are an "imminent threat" (yes thats in itallics because it is a defined term which typically doesnt form part of an "aimless plan") then they should be removed before they kill someone.

Thats far less of an impact than your "harvesting" of gators for "population control" that is somehow ok in your book. Nonetheless I wouldnt dream of telling you what is appropriate re gators. Not so for you and my backyard though it seems.
Old 27-01-2015, 02:02   #29

Quote:
Have you actually read my posts????

I think not.

I never said lets "kill all the sharks"

or to remove them"for the sake of it"

or that they are "eating everyone"

I said that if particular large sharks are an "imminent threat" (yes thats in itallics because it is a defined term which typically doesnt form part of an "aimless plan") then they should be removed before they kill someone.

Thats far less of an impact than your "harvesting" of gators for "population control" that is somehow ok in your book. Nonetheless I wouldnt dream of telling you what is appropriate re gators. Not so for you and my backyard though it seems.
Barra, the idea that conservation of a species is local business only is quite outdated and has been repeatedly proven to be a world wide loss, not just national (Australia) or state. I'm not aware of 'Gators' being in any sense endangered, but if they were it would be my business as well as everyone else's regardless of where they live.

And your back yard is also my back yard. It's just a matter of perspective.
Old 27-01-2015, 02:14   #30

Gee whiz no one actually reads anyones posts do they? It seems not anyway

I didnt say that conservation of sharks is a local issue only. its not now and nor do i want it to be. Im just saying the idea that someone in new orleans for example or even tassie should think they have some kind of a right to tell off the WA government for trying to stop imminent threats to their populace is just plain wrong.

Its not a "kill them all" or cull or anything else. If it was then ok tell us off. but until then its polite to just stay out of local public safety issues just like i do in New Orleons or elsewhere where its none of my business.
Closed Thread