Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 14:03   #31

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Sailing in the FL Keys

Quote:
I drove to Boot Key last year when we were in the Keys. We thought the place was kinda low rent and trashy. No?
I find this comment humorous.............

We spent last December and January down in the keys. One particular night while sitting in the Schooner Wharf Bar, I told my wife, it's funny, people spend a lot of money to come down here to eat and drink in places that would probably be condemned in their own home town............

I will admit that Marathon has a few rough looking areas. However, it's got one of two Kmarts in the Keys and a Publix grocery store. As an aside, there are no Walmart's in the entire island chain.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 14:04   #32

Yes, I’m the original Macgregor guy. Thanks for your help.
Coachdoc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 14:16   #33

Quote:
One place no one has mentioned yet is Bahia Honda State Park. They have a marina and a boat ramp. We anchored there last year but the park was closed because of hurricane Irma........

Pretty much a day sail to both Marathon and Key West.
Old 04-01-2019, 14:23   #34

If you "analyze it" it really shouldn't matter.

Why?

Because the purpose of your OP is that you want to be on your boat.

Period.

Between these choices you've asked about, why should it matter?

"A day on the boat is better than..." is true.

You're there "in season" and it is likely to be crowded. Find a ramp, get on your boat, and just go. Anchor out for a week.

Good luck, have fun.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 15:25   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachdoc60 View Post
What's a realistic cruising speed for your boat? I know McGregor used to advertise 20+ mph but from threads I've seen it sounds like 15 is more realistic.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 15:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
[;2794389]

There is no way to drive to Boot Key since the "Bridge to Nowhere" had the center section cut out several years ago. Check google maps for a confirmation of this
Sigh...ok...how about Boot Key Harbor or Boot Key Marina? We were in Marathon and drove to the Boot Key AREA as far as the damn road goes and had a look around. We saw LOTS of not so nice boats.

We also drove around the surrounding area looking at houses. Our opinion is the same...wouldn't be a destination for us. There are MUCH nicer places in the Keys IMHO...Islamorada for one.
Old 04-01-2019, 16:08   #37

The FL Keys are not really like the rest of the country as far as real estate.

There is a ghetto in Key West, yes a ghetto. You might say there can't be, it's a tourist town. Check out this place on Emma St;

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.5497...2!8i6656?hl=en

In my area, on the west coast of Florida, a nice 4 bedroom, 2 bath house on the water can be had for between 400 to 800 thousand. In the Keys, a 1 bedroom, 1 bath shack, near the water, can go for 600,000.........
Old 04-01-2019, 17:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What's a realistic cruising speed for your boat? I know McGregor used to advertise 20+ mph but from threads I've seen it sounds like 15 is more realistic.
15 is more realistic.
Coachdoc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 18:35   #39

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Sigh...ok...how about Boot Key Harbor or Boot Key Marina? We were in Marathon and drove to the Boot Key AREA as far as the damn road goes and had a look around. We saw LOTS of not so nice boats.

We also drove around the surrounding area looking at houses. Our opinion is the same...wouldn't be a destination for us. There are MUCH nicer places in the Keys IMHO...Islamorada for one.

You obviously did not drive to Sombrero Beach which is the most popular free attraction in the area. There are several multimillion dollar homes in that area. Same for Tingler Lane and Treasure Road off Sombrero Beach Road. Key Colony just across the bridge to the East is also a high end area.

Nothing against Islamorada. It is not quite half the population of Marathon and has a somewhat higher median income. The big advantage Marathon/BKH has over anywhere else in the Keys is the natural harbor there. It is the jump off spot for cruisers in season. There is a huge social attraction for cruisers who are heading South for the season with a lot of knowledge sharing and skilled labor available. The City Marina offers a nice work shop, a Home Depot, West Marine, Publix, and several other stores in walking distance (most cruisers don't have cars). There is always a waiting list for balls in high season.

Quite frankly real estate is way over priced and it would not be my first choice if I was living on dirt. But as a jumping off point for cruising to the Bahamas/Cuba/down island in a save harbor where you need to provision/repair/wait for a weather window it is the best choice.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 18:47   #40

https://marathonmarinaandresort.com/
This place was nice we were there last August bar had good food and pool was nice. Also a nice sail out to sombrero reef. And by where you can go under 7 mile bridge.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 23:17   #41

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachdoc60 View Post
My son and I will be sailing in the keys in mid-March. We have a Macgregor 26x with a 50 HP outboard. My question is this- we’re not sure which Key to use as home base. Our boat will be trailered and we’ll launch in the keys. We’ve heard that Marathon is good but someone also said Islamorada. We would like to utilize a marina as often as possible. Information will be greatly appreciated.
If you like snorkeling, Looe Key is the best snorkeling spot in the entire island chain by a wide margin. It is located off Little Torch Key, which is between Marathon and Key West. There is a Dolphin marina on the ocean side of Little Torch Key that has a boat ramp. Call them to check whether they have room to park a trailer. Definitely my most favorite home base for cruising the Keys. There is also a free community ramp on the bay side of Little Torch Key that also has a free parking site, however it is well-hidden and may be difficult to find. You will need to motor under a low bridge before stepping the mast if you use it. I am not sure whether the ramp there is long enough for a 26-footer, most likely it will do but can be a little tight. You can anchor off the Little Torch Key, it is a well protected area. There are multiple other bays with 360* protection in vicinity where you can anchor, such as Cudjo Bay. Bahia Honda state park is also close, but not much of a destination. They do have a boat ramp, which I never saw being open. Key West is a half day away, which is a must to visit. My favorite marina there is the Galleon in Key West bight. It is expensive, but quite good and they seem to always have a slip available. If you sail to Marathon, you can dock at the Keys Fisheries restaurant, which has one of the best seafood value in the islands (not to mention $3 margaritas). The restaurant has its own marina where you may be able to stay overnight, or you can anchor outsude, but the holding is poor there, the bottom is a coral rock covered by a thin layer of sand.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 00:29   #42

A couple more tid-bits for the OP and anyone else following along.........

Boot Key is one of the largest undeveloped tracts of land in the Keys. Adjacent to the most dense population center in the Keys, Marathon. The only bridge to the island was closed years ago............

Also for fun, google Boot Key and look for references to Radio Y television Marti......... Fun stuff.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:18   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
First, are you the same Macgregor as this thread ??.
Yep! Same boat!! I’m the Son of the father/son duo LOL

Great advice all though this thread! Thanks guys!!!!
Trialsbikeadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:40   #44
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i would say that islamarada and plantation are great choices for keys sailing. much further down and you encounter the headache of crowds along with the smell of beer and trash. on a positive note .. marathon and vaca key have a grocery store and good seafood.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52   #45

Great thread. As small-trailerable owners, the Gulf coast and the FL Keys are on our short list. Thanks all.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing