Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 17:46   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Sailing in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Not so much a process but it's understood how long it can take. I have been questioned on both ends, BZ an MX on why it took me so long. All it takes is a straight answer to where you have been. There are not that many places to stop south of Cozumel anyway. I did manage to spend almost 3 weeks getting from Isla Mujeres, MX to Big Creek, Belize for check in this last trip and I had to explain that I was on my own, tired and the sea state sucked sometimes.
Ive found "engine trouble" works well w Belizean officials too. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:49   #32

Re: Sailing in Mexico

We checked in at Cozumel. Was a freaking nightmare! Took 4 days! You can pay an agent and he'll do it for $200. We don't have that budget.

So if you do check in/out I hope this will help:
Go to port captain to get the papers you'll need.
Go to immigration first cause they close at 1pm.
On the main road walk (we walked everywhere) till you pass the ferry terminal and then walk more till you'll see a sign on the road to the hospital. Take left and walk a few blocks till the immigration building- on the corner of the road, a white and green building with a guard outside.

After immigration walk to the airport. Took us 30 minutes. From immigration building walk on the street parallel to the beach till the end. You'll reach the main road and there will be a fence on its left. Take a right and walk till a roundabout with swallows. That's the entrance to the airport
Turn left and walk in.
You can ask at the info stations where is custom. It's basically straight in and to the left.
You'll find custom, agricultural and the doctor's office there.

Our doctor was away so they sent us to another doctor in town. he charged us $20.

When you get all 4 stamps go back to port captain. They'll give you a fee to go and pay at the bank. About 200+ pesos.
Then you go and pay and come back and THEN they'll check you in!

Custom did come with us to check out the boat. It wasn't pleasant cause there's no dinghy dock and we had to beach the dinghy and then push her back in the water. Then rowed with the officials to the boat (our outboard didn't perform). They threw out our rice, lentils, beans saying it's fresh food...

So it's possible to do it on your own and cheap (a taxi to the airport would have cost us 100 pesos each). Just make sure you do it in the right order to avoid the pain we had to endure...

Good luck!
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sail, sailing