Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 18:59   #91

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rounding Up... Other Tactics & Questions

Andrew,

Exactly right -- that's what I meant (and thought that I said pretty clearly). This is an exercise to reassure the wife that death is not looming if she did release the helm, and that the boat will be ok. Your point about adjusting the helm to remain hove to is correct as well. It is something that all sailors should know how to do... a very useful tactic.

I'm not sure what the other poster means by "auto tack" so I can't address that issue.

But I still maintain that releasing the helm when overpowered will do nothing that harms the boat. Using the gust to get some extra distance to windward is good practice and a normal feature of sailing to windward.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-10-2012, 06:26   #92

Boat: Catalina 25 TR/FK

Jim,

As an exercise to show your wife, yes I get it. As far as the "auto tack" is concerned, it's when things get out of control, your jib sheet is still sheeted down and your head sail back winds, pushing the bow of the boat over forcing her to come about.
PCP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 13:42   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
Jim,

As an exercise to show your wife, yes I get it. As far as the "auto tack" is concerned, it's when things get out of control, your jib sheet is still sheeted down and your head sail back winds, pushing the bow of the boat over forcing her to come about.
G'Day PCP,

OK, what you are calling "auto tacking" is the first step in heaving to. If, after your bow blows off on the new tack you put the helm down (ie, set it so that if the boat starts to make headway it turns to windward), you are in the the classic hove to posture. By adjusting the main sheet a bit you can settle into a condition where the boat is nearly stopped, sliding off to leeward slowly, and one can then deal with whatever actions are required -- reefing the main, getting a beer, changing your underwear, whatever...

I've never sailed a Cat 25, but years ago I could get my swing keel Cat 22 to do this. It is a very useful technique, and was a standard practice for sailors of yore.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 23-10-2012, 07:33   #94

Boat: Catalina 25 TR/FK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day PCP,

OK, what you are calling "auto tacking" is the first step in heaving to. If, after your bow blows off on the new tack you put the helm down (ie, set it so that if the boat starts to make headway it turns to windward), you are in the the classic hove to posture. By adjusting the main sheet a bit you can settle into a condition where the boat is nearly stopped, sliding off to leeward slowly, and one can then deal with whatever actions are required -- reefing the main, getting a beer, changing your underwear, whatever...

I've never sailed a Cat 25, but years ago I could get my swing keel Cat 22 to do this. It is a very useful technique, and was a standard practice for sailors of yore.

Cheers,

Jim
Absolutely, the one caveat is you need to pretty much eliminate the forward motion, at least on my boat. This is a technique that all sailors should get comfortable with.
PCP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:09   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catalina 250 MKII

I have found, from sailing dinghies and keelboats, that it depends on the boat. In Dinghies, crew weight and a hand on the mainsheet is how I was trained, still letting the tiller go could help or could lead to un-planned excitement! On Keelboats, I have found, that it is more the crew's expectations and experience (or lack of it) at least when it comes to getting those good blasts that send the boat heeling further than what the crew has been dealing with during that sail or recent sails. The key is taking the boat and crew out in more moderate conditions and going through planned drills. Then, go out in more gusty conditions.....that is the best way in my experience. And it depends so much on someone's comfort level with being on the water. Water babies scream with delight, others less comfortable on the water, scream with terror....screen your crew, and drill baby drill!!! Good luck!
Buc210 is offline   Reply With Quote