Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 07:28   #1

Boat: Morgan 512 51'
Robbed in Nassau

Here is the note that I sent to Chris Parker this AM regarding our robbery last night
Chris,
Here is the story on our robbery last night in Nassau. 2/2/16
We are tied up at Nassau Harbor Club when at 4:00 AM this morning I was awakened by a noise IN our cabin.
I jumped up to find that an individual was in our salon going thru my shaving kit which he had taken from our stateroom near our bed where we slept. He then ran up the companionway slamming it behind him.
I grabbed a pair of pants and my gun and cautiously went on deck, but the individual was gone.
Missing was our paddle board from the fore deck.
Looking about we found salt water all thru the cabin where he had trod dripping. Things had been taken up into the cockpit , back pack dumped out, but it seems that my interruption stopped the theft of other than the paddle board.
The security staff was of no use, I finally found the security guard napping behind a wall.
The security staff would not call the police before their boss arrived so I finally got the police myself, but by then it was a waste.
I spoke with a friend who is a former police official here , who intimates that crime is in serious rise here.
Hopefully you can help warn others.

Vty,
Bob & Maria Mitchell
S/V Carrie May
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33   #2

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Re: Robbed in Nassau

Sadly, this is not the first time I have heard of these things in the Nassau area. We opted to keep our hatches closed and locked. I am sorry to hear the marina staff were so unhelpful. Relieved you are ok and were not attacked.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:06   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I wont go there anymore and more and more cruisers are doing the same. The area will continue to lose business until the local police step up and solve the problem. I would encourage everyone to just not stop there. The local businesses that suffer will put the appropriate pressure on the police to fix it if enough folks do that. Until then stop there at your own peril.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mitch View Post
The security staff was of no use, I finally found the security guard napping behind a wall.
I am sorry, Bob, but YOUR security was totally lacking!
Don't blame the security guards when YOU did not have your companionway locked.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The interesting statistic is not how many robberies/thefts have occurred in Nassau but, rather, how many have gone unreported? This increasing trend reported by cruisers is truly a shame since Nassau is a great place to reprovision before heading offshore. Everything changes. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:38   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I jumped up to find that an individual was in our salon...
I grabbed a pair of pants...
Uh...Duh!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:01   #7

Boat: PT-11

Why tell Chris Parker about it? He's a weather guy.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:17   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Here is the note that I sent to Chris Parker this AM regarding our robbery last night
Chris,
Here is the story on our robbery last night in Nassau. 2/2/16
We are tied up at Nassau Harbor Club when at 4:00 AM this morning I was awakened by a noise IN our cabin.
===

That's really unfortunate and I sympathize. Luckily we have stayed at Nassau Harbour Club a number of times without any problems but it seems that things may be changing. We do take some basic precautions however. I have created a secure locking mechanism for our rear companionway which still allows for some fresh air, and we have solar powered vents throughout the boat which allows us to secure hatches and other on-deck openings. I also created a motion detector light system that has a large "startle" factor when activated. It's too bad we have to take these precautions but that's the way things are in some parts of the world.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Uh...Duh!
I agree, I would not have put pants on. I would have pulled the trigger first and dressed as I called the police with the suspect dead or wounded on the boat. I am an LEO of 20years and it's in the training. NO ONE is getting in my salon without meeting my H&K.
PortHoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:38   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHoleDiver View Post
I agree, I would not have put pants on. I would have pulled the trigger first and dressed as I called the police with the suspect dead or wounded on the boat. I am an LEO of 20years and it's in the training. NO ONE is getting in my salon without meeting my H&K.
Probably not a good idea to shoot and kill in a foreign country: They may have different laws than the US and you could spend a few years in a Bahamian jail
Old 02-02-2016, 16:59   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Did Peter say anything re the security guard? I shut everything up in nassau now. Even in a marina. And set the hatch so that all hell breaks loose if the slide is moved. They are sneak thieves not robbers and will go over the side if you start yelling. Don't call the police, the defense force has a unit on call all night at the bridge Channel 16 and they respond fairly quickly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-02-2016, 17:22   #12

Thumbs up Re: Robbed in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Probably not a good idea to shoot and kill in a foreign country: They may have different laws than the US and you could spend a few years in a Bahamian jail
I would take my chances. If they were to get in my salon, at night, when I was asleep and I had declared my weapon and ammunition upon entering their country. I would not hesitate. Might cost to get to trial but coming on the boat in an area I have that would infringe on my safety, I would rather be judged in a court than flown home in a box. Just my actions, not asking anyone to do the same. You have to do what is right for you. Be the victim or the survivor.
PortHoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 17:32   #13

Nothing quite like victim blaming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 18:27   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Did Peter say anything re the security guard? I shut everything up in nassau now. Even in a marina. And set the hatch so that all hell breaks loose if the slide is moved. They are sneak thieves not robbers and will go over the side if you start yelling. Don't call the police, the defense force has a unit on call all night at the bridge Channel 16 and they respond fairly quickly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I wonder if that British guy who was murdered in his boat in Nassau last year only thought he only had to worry about sneak thieves. That's the problem with criminals, they don't tell in advance who you are dealing with.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 18:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortHoleDiver View Post
Be the victim or the survivor.
Spending the rest of your life in a Bahamian prison makes you a victim, not a survivor, in my book.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, nassau