Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2017, 09:15   #1

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Refrigerator

I have just installed a new AdlerBarber 12 volt freezer unit in my refrigerator and it seems to run a lot to keep the refrigerator at the correct temp. My question is I have two I gallon jugs of water in the refrigerator at all times on the therory that the cold water will keep the refrigerator cold between runs, am I better off with or with out the jugs of water?
Thanks for your reply.
David
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 09:42   #2

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Refrigerator

Fridges are (energy out) = (energy in). Energy out is the refrigeration unit. Energy in is heat conducted through the walls.

In theory keeping the fridge full vs empty will change the cycle frequency, but not the total energy equation. In practice, the unit is probably less efficient when it is cycling on/off frequently, so you might see some improvement with the water. It definitely shouldn't hurt. Insulation, unit efficiency, and temperature setting will be the real difference makers.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 09:57   #3

If frozen at the dock, then left in the fridge while out they will help.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We have beaten this to death a number of times, it's one of the top ten questions.
It boils down to technically your better off filling the empty space with foam insulation blocks than water or any other mass, however the difference is so small as to not be worth carrying around a bunch of foam blocks.
This is when I suggest rather than foam blocks or jugs of water, why not something more useful, like a case of beer? That way when the better half complains about all the beer, you have an excuse.
Honey I'm just trying to save some battery power
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:01   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisailor View Post
...am I better off with or with out the jugs of water?...
This is something that is so easy for you to check for yourself.

If it runs too long, you probably need better insulation.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:05   #6

Thanks for your quick reply. I have another refrigerator question. I have two separate Adler barber systems on the boat one for the refrierator and one for the freezer's the two boxes are side by side and share a common side wall, the freezer has not been used for a long time but is cool due to the side wall. Am I better to run both the refrigerator alone or run both units withe freezer empty.
Thanks David
Old 13-02-2017, 10:08   #7

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. I have another refrigerator question. I have two separate Adler barber systems on the boat one for the refrierator and one for the freezer's the two boxes are side by side and share a common side wall, the freezer has not been used for a long time but is cool due to the side wall. Am I better to run both the refrigerator alone or run both units withe freezer empty.
Thanks David
If not using the freezer, I would cut a piece of thick foam so it wedges against that wall tightly on the freezer side. That should help some.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 10:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Define better.
You will use more energy of course if you run both, but likely your fridge compressor will run less often.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 11:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
I have just installed a new AdlerBarber 12 volt freezer unit in my refrigerator and it seems to run a lot to keep the refrigerator at the correct temp. My question is I have two I gallon jugs of water in the refrigerator at all times on the therory that the cold water will keep the refrigerator cold between runs, am I better off with or with out the jugs of water?
Thanks for your reply.
David

You say you have just installed a new system ? How long have you had it running ?

It takes days for a system to settle down and remove all the heat from the insulation.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 11:58   #10

Thanks again to everyone you have been a help. I have double insulated the box and it is down to temperature after running for three weeks. The problem looks to be the environment I am in Antigua water and air temp just about eighty. Thanks again for your help.
David

Tags
refrigerator